Notices
Results 1 to 39 of 39

Thread: IQ

  1. #1 IQ 
    Forum Ph.D. Heinsbergrelatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    994
    I just got my IQ test done and i got a score of 138.

    is this considered high, and also what does the IQ actually represent?


    ------------------




    "Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders."- Carl Friedrich Gauss


    -------------------
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  

    Related Discussions:

     

  3. #2  
    Forum Junior JennLonhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Under the Sun, Moon and Stars
    Posts
    215
    @Heinsbergrelatz I seriously admire You, I'm jealous, mine is around 100 which is average, so yes, 138 is a high IQ. In fact, just 3% of world population has IQ above 130....

    Inteligence actually represents your ability to comprehend tasks fast, to solve logical problems more easily, to be able to think "outside of the box"
    IQ is a way of measuring intelligence. It is actually measured like this

    IQ= MA/CA * 100%

    where MA represent your mental development(mental age)
    and CA represent your age (calendar age)

    For example: my CA is 17(y.o.). If I do all the questions for that are made for 16 year olds but not the ones for 17, my MA will be 16

    IQ= 16/17 *100% => 94 which is below average

    On the other hand, if I do all the questions for 17 year olds my IQ is:

    IQ= 17/17 * 100% => 100 which is most common

    the same thing is if you do questions that are above your age. Considering your IQ is 138 I'd say you did quite well on those "upper level" questions =))


    "Be the change you want to see in the world"
    Mahatma Gandhi

    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Ay thats good.

    It would be great to see if you could get rid of the uncertainty principle though. It will save me a job 8)
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    sox
    sox is offline
    Forum Masters Degree sox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Uk - Scotland
    Posts
    598
    You can't really tell anything from the IQ number alone.

    If an IQ test has a maximum possible score of 140 and u score 139 then clearly you're very smart.

    But another test might have a maximum possible score of 160. But if you scored only 139 in this test that would be a lower score in comparison to the other test.

    I know that the UK IQ test and the US IQ test are scored differently so direct comparison is impossible.

    Thus you have to look at what percentage you are in. That is, does your score put you in the top 30% of people? top 10%? top 2% (mensa class)?

    Also, you can't trust those IQ tests off the internet. You can get widely different results from different tests.

    __________________________________________________ _____________
    "Happy is the man who can recognise in the work of To-day a connected portion of the work of life, and an embodiment of the work of Eternity. The foundations of his confidence are unchangeable, for he has been made a partaker of Infinity." - James Clerk Maxwell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Junior JennLonhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Under the Sun, Moon and Stars
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by sox

    Also, you can't trust those IQ tests off the internet. You can get widely different results from different tests.
    Yeah, I wanted to say that too.... If you did that kind of test, it is definitely not correct. The only ones that I count are MENSA and similar.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world"
    Mahatma Gandhi

    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    sox
    sox is offline
    Forum Masters Degree sox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Uk - Scotland
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by JennLonhon
    @Heinsbergrelatz I seriously admire You, I'm jealous, mine is around 100 which is average, so yes, 138 is a high IQ. In fact, just 3% of world population has IQ above 130....

    Inteligence actually represents your ability to comprehend tasks fast, to solve logical problems more easily, to be able to think "outside of the box"
    IQ is a way of measuring intelligence. It is actually measured like this

    IQ= MA/CA * 100%

    where MA represent your mental development(mental age)
    and CA represent your age (calendar age)

    For example: my CA is 17(y.o.). If I do all the questions for that are made for 16 year olds but not the ones for 17, my MA will be 16

    IQ= 16/17 *100% => 94 which is below average

    On the other hand, if I do all the questions for 17 year olds my IQ is:

    IQ= 17/17 * 100% => 100 which is most common

    the same thing is if you do questions that are above your age. Considering your IQ is 138 I'd say you did quite well on those "upper level" questions =))
    Don't be jealous of other people for ANY reason. You'll only end up bitter.

    Also, I wouldn't measure your IQ when your this young as you are still growing. It is quite possible it will increase up until you're in your early 20's. My IQ has increased significantly since I was 17.

    __________________________________________________ _____________
    "Happy is the man who can recognise in the work of To-day a connected portion of the work of life, and an embodiment of the work of Eternity. The foundations of his confidence are unchangeable, for he has been made a partaker of Infinity." - James Clerk Maxwell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Junior JennLonhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Under the Sun, Moon and Stars
    Posts
    215
    It's not really jealousy, just a wish to see how it is like to have that kind of intelligence. But on the other hand, I have never measured my IQ on a verified test, so.... who knows =)
    "Be the change you want to see in the world"
    Mahatma Gandhi

    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Ph.D. Heinsbergrelatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    994
    of course the result i told here is not the internet one, but Mensa International here in Singapore.

    if i take the ones on the internet, its like 160+, and that is definitely wrong
    ------------------




    "Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders."- Carl Friedrich Gauss


    -------------------
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Junior JennLonhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Under the Sun, Moon and Stars
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinsbergrelatz
    if i take the ones on the internet, its like 160+, and that is definitely wrong
    haha, a modest guy =)) That's a new =))
    "Be the change you want to see in the world"
    Mahatma Gandhi

    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    He's only a teenager too...

    I see bright horizons for you heisenberg, what is your real name by the way?
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Ph.D. Heinsbergrelatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    994
    I see bright horizons for you heisenberg, what is your real name by the way?
    Stephan Kim
    ------------------




    "Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders."- Carl Friedrich Gauss


    -------------------
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Junior JennLonhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Under the Sun, Moon and Stars
    Posts
    215
    I thought you were older.... How old are you? :?
    "Be the change you want to see in the world"
    Mahatma Gandhi

    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Ph.D. Heinsbergrelatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    994
    16, still along way to go
    ------------------




    "Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders."- Carl Friedrich Gauss


    -------------------
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    There seems to be something about that name and liking physics...
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    sox
    sox is offline
    Forum Masters Degree sox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Uk - Scotland
    Posts
    598
    Your giving out your name on the internet???

    Your IQ has just dropped drastically.

    __________________________________________________ _____________
    "Happy is the man who can recognise in the work of To-day a connected portion of the work of life, and an embodiment of the work of Eternity. The foundations of his confidence are unchangeable, for he has been made a partaker of Infinity." - James Clerk Maxwell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Ph.D. Heinsbergrelatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    994
    Your giving out your name on the internet???

    Your IQ has just dropped drastically.
    i hardly think so
    ------------------




    "Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders."- Carl Friedrich Gauss


    -------------------
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Junior JennLonhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Under the Sun, Moon and Stars
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinsbergrelatz
    16, still along way to go
    Dude, we're the same age, I seriously thought you were really near thirty-s (@_@) There really is something in liking physics and that name =))
    "Be the change you want to see in the world"
    Mahatma Gandhi

    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Freshman IAlexN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by sox
    Your giving out your name on the internet???

    Your IQ has just dropped drastically.
    But, he might have taken in account that there are other people with the exact name, so finding him would still be pretty tough.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    What if 'they' do find me anyway. What will they do? Spam my letterbox with chinese restaurant leaflets? :P
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Ph.D. Heinsbergrelatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    994
    There really is something in liking physics and that name =))
    My goal is to become a theoretical physicist :-D
    ------------------




    "Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders."- Carl Friedrich Gauss


    -------------------
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinsbergrelatz
    There really is something in liking physics and that name =))
    My goal is to become a theoretical physicist :-D
    Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is a load of rubbish...

    There you go, theoretical physics
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    sox
    sox is offline
    Forum Masters Degree sox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Uk - Scotland
    Posts
    598
    Theoretical physicist studying what?

    __________________________________________________ _____________
    "Happy is the man who can recognise in the work of To-day a connected portion of the work of life, and an embodiment of the work of Eternity. The foundations of his confidence are unchangeable, for he has been made a partaker of Infinity." - James Clerk Maxwell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantime
    Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is a load of rubbish...
    I'm not sure about that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Ph.D. Heinsbergrelatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    994
    Theoretical physicist studying what?
    im not quite sure, but ill have to say Quantum field theories, or quantum mechanics does seem intriguing. Though i know, its not an easy task, i am still willing to go for it.
    ------------------




    "Mathematicians stand on each other's shoulders."- Carl Friedrich Gauss


    -------------------
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    sox
    sox is offline
    Forum Masters Degree sox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Uk - Scotland
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinsbergrelatz
    Though i know, its not an easy task, i am still willing to go for it.
    Good mindset. That's what will get you places.

    In my experience of things, it's the people who work hard that master the hardest concepts.

    __________________________________________________ _____________
    "Happy is the man who can recognise in the work of To-day a connected portion of the work of life, and an embodiment of the work of Eternity. The foundations of his confidence are unchangeable, for he has been made a partaker of Infinity." - James Clerk Maxwell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Junior JennLonhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Under the Sun, Moon and Stars
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinsbergrelatz
    There really is something in liking physics and that name =))
    My goal is to become a theoretical physicist :-D
    Leonard Hofstadter ha? =))

    http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1480300544/ch0034093

    Joke, of course =)
    "Be the change you want to see in the world"
    Mahatma Gandhi

    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1
    Wow, what a high score. Did you fall within the 2% margin?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by sox
    Quote Originally Posted by JennLonhon
    @Heinsbergrelatz I seriously admire You, I'm jealous, mine is around 100 which is average, so yes, 138 is a high IQ. In fact, just 3% of world population has IQ above 130....

    Inteligence actually represents your ability to comprehend tasks fast, to solve logical problems more easily, to be able to think "outside of the box"
    IQ is a way of measuring intelligence. It is actually measured like this

    IQ= MA/CA * 100%

    where MA represent your mental development(mental age)
    and CA represent your age (calendar age)

    For example: my CA is 17(y.o.). If I do all the questions for that are made for 16 year olds but not the ones for 17, my MA will be 16

    IQ= 16/17 *100% => 94 which is below average

    On the other hand, if I do all the questions for 17 year olds my IQ is:

    IQ= 17/17 * 100% => 100 which is most common

    the same thing is if you do questions that are above your age. Considering your IQ is 138 I'd say you did quite well on those "upper level" questions =))
    Don't be jealous of other people for ANY reason. You'll only end up bitter.

    Also, I wouldn't measure your IQ when your this young as you are still growing. It is quite possible it will increase up until you're in your early 20's. My IQ has increased significantly since I was 17.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Not too long ago I was a lazy, unproductive, unintelligent teen who hadn't realized his potential (still haven't fully). I didn't even try to read any books other than a few stephen king novels until I hit 20. By chance one day I started reading about evolution in a bookstore. I had heard about it before but I, like so many ignorant, uninformed people in this electronic age did little other than play video games, talk on the phone and watch internet porn at the time. Soon after the first book, I bought several others and read them over a period of two years. What really got my attention was the philosophy behind the implication of the theory (or fact, as people with a high IQ would say :wink: ) brought to my attention by Richard Dawkins, and in retrospect what should have been common sense. Dawkins got me thinking that we aren't perhaps as special as we humans once thought we were in the grand scheme of things. I already think I knew that simple fact but it wasn't something I really thought about often before then. Knowing about Copernicus as a kid led me to believe that we were but specks of dust in an enormous solar system (it didn't, however keep me from believing that as a human I was somehow superior to all other forms of life); Dawkins let me know I was an animal. I had heard it several times before from biology teachers in high school but he got the point across with undeniable scientific evidence that I hadn't been exposed to before then. I had lived a sheltered life in a small town where there was very little focus on evolution in the classroom. Yet that's beside that point I'm trying to make. What I really want you to get out of this is that A.) finding a subject of interest can boost your IQ, B.) It's never too late to get smart :-D . My advice, expand your intellectual frontiers one subject at a time and always ask for help if you need it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Junior JennLonhon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Under the Sun, Moon and Stars
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler

    I agree wholeheartedly. Not too long ago I was a lazy, unproductive, unintelligent teen who hadn't realized his potential (still haven't fully). I didn't even try to read any books other than a few stephen king novels until I hit 20. By chance one day I started reading about evolution in a bookstore. I had heard about it before but I, like so many ignorant, uninformed people in this electronic age did little other than play video games, talk on the phone and watch internet porn at the time. Soon after the first book, I bought several others and read them over a period of two years. What really got my attention was the philosophy behind the implication of the theory (or fact, as people with a high IQ would say :wink: ) brought to my attention by Richard Dawkins, and in retrospect what should have been common sense. Dawkins got me thinking that we aren't perhaps as special as we humans once thought we were in the grand scheme of things. I already think I knew that simple fact but it wasn't something I really thought about often before then. Knowing about Copernicus as a kid led me to believe that we were but specks of dust in an enormous solar system (it didn't, however keep me from believing that as a human I was somehow superior to all other forms of life); Dawkins let me know I was an animal. I had heard it several times before from biology teachers in high school but he got the point across with undeniable scientific evidence that I hadn't been exposed to before then. I had lived a sheltered life in a small town where there was very little focus on evolution in the classroom. Yet that's beside that point I'm trying to make. What I really want you to get out of this is that A.) finding a subject of interest can boost your IQ, B.) It's never too late to get smart :-D . My advice, expand your intellectual frontiers one subject at a time and always ask for help if you need it.
    Well, I do read a lot of Stephen King, but to be honest, I am a person with a great variety of interests: I play guitar, write poetry, do a little bit of microscopic research, craft items, do voluntary work etc, and above everything else, tend to find answers to a whole bunch of scientific questions I have, as well as do my best to fulfill my dream of becoming a neuroscientist. =) Somewhere in free time, I read King, Pekic or similar writers and books like "Perfect memory" :-D :-D
    "Be the change you want to see in the world"
    Mahatma Gandhi

    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"
    Jimmy Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Freshman Smurkey Smurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Storming the gates of Camelot
    Posts
    9
    I took a IQ test and the results were 126. I am only 14 years old. When I become older and know more knowledge will my IQ be higher?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    yes
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Masters Degree Twit of wit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurkey Smurk
    I took a IQ test and the results were 126. I am only 14 years old. When I become older and know more knowledge will my IQ be higher?
    No, IQ and kowledge are two completely different things.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Twit of wit
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurkey Smurk
    I took a IQ test and the results were 126. I am only 14 years old. When I become older and know more knowledge will my IQ be higher?
    No, IQ and kowledge are two completely different things.
    Not strictly true. If the knowledge includes how to score well in IQ tests then your IQ will register as higher.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Twit of wit
    Quote Originally Posted by Smurkey Smurk
    I took a IQ test and the results were 126. I am only 14 years old. When I become older and know more knowledge will my IQ be higher?
    No, IQ and kowledge are two completely different things.
    Most IQ tests are geared towards older people who tend to have a slightly wider base of knowledge. His IQ won't necessarily have a higher IQ when he graduates, but he likely will.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Sophomore schiz0yd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Warwick, RI
    Posts
    171
    i thought 140 or so was average. i got 149 during my adhd tests and they told me i was simply 'above average'. do they score it differently for that test?
    I prefer to use my right brain to study the universe rather than my left brain.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9
    IQ is an invalid way of testing intelligence. An IQ number is not at all significant. What really matters is if you know how/when to apply such knowledge or not. That is what measures intellect, not a mere lowly pathetic exam.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9
    The only persons that brag about IQ tend to be intellectual narcissists.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Forum Masters Degree Twit of wit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd1019
    What really matters is if you know how/when to apply such knowledge or not.
    And that is exactly what IQ measures.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Transient
    Posts
    2,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Twit of wit
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd1019
    What really matters is if you know how/when to apply such knowledge or not.
    And that is exactly what IQ measures.
    That's what IQ is intended to measure, not what is actually measured.
    Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
    -Plato

    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •