Notices

View Poll Results: Newton or Einstein?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Newton

    5 55.56%
  • Einstein

    4 44.44%
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Why Does Everyone Place Newton Above Einstein?

  1. #1 Why Does Everyone Place Newton Above Einstein? 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1
    Almost every serious debate about the greatest scientists that ever lived places these two physicists at the top, usually with Newton over Einstein. Things such as Lev Landau's infamous list make me cringe.

    Why the hell is Newton better than EINSTEIN? I know that Newton is one of the greatest scientists alive but why does everyone place him above Einstein? We all know the whole shebang about Newton "discovering" gravity, or "inventing" calculus, or "writing" the laws of physics, but I would argue that Einstein's achievements surpass Newton's.

    Einstein is a man who singlehandedly changed the way modern physics is performed. This is a man who peered into the vast expanse of the universe and understood it. Who the fuck is this Newton to claim to be better than Einstein?

    I'm just a college student but even I understand almost all of Newton's calculus principles and I almost certainly know more about physics than him. In fact, even Leibniz's form of calculus is superior, so Newton didn't really define modern calculus either.

    That's why it pains me everytime people place Newton above Einstein. Newton was just lucky that he was born way back when people were all primitive so he had the luxury of discovering easy things. Einstein, on the other hand, has much more impressive discoveries because he did it in a modern age where there are a lot more scientists and thus more competition. I fail to see how anyone in their right mind can place Newton above Einstein.

    Discuss.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    297
    I don't even see how it is possible to compare.

    You might say that the person who invented the wheel was superior to Newton.

    What Newton did seems easy and straightforward now, but you could say the same about what Einstein did. A lot of great physicists pulled out entirely new concepts seemingly out of thin air (they mostly built at least partially on previous work). The larger the difference with existing knowledge, the more impressive it might be perceived.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Bachelors Degree Waveman28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    417
    You think Albert Einstein was a greater physicist than Sir Isaac Newton? All this shows is that you do not know your history of science at all. I have the utmost discust for Einstein because he was a fraud and his theories were absurd. His "famous" special theory of relativity was plagiarised from Henri Poincare. His general theory of relativity was copied from the ideas of david hilbert. Its funny because every field that Einstein worked in, he was surrounded by controversy. Any person with a decent knowledge of history knows this. All he did was use his celebrity status to promote his irrational ideas which have plagued physics for over a century. He is single handedly responsible for getting us into a blind alley where we are now stuck. Actually, this is also the fault of people who just memorise papers and claim to be physicists, and this has been happening for decades. Thankfully, due to my work and efforts, things are about to change. I am bringing this to the attention of others, who all seem to have their heads in the sand, and believe anything they read in a textbook.
    Here is a wiki article about Einsteins fraudulent past: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativ...iority_dispute

    Look at google, see how many websites there are about Einstein as a fraud: http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...R2ADBR_enAU330
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4 Re: Why Does Everyone Place Newton Above Einstein? 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by tdotkrayz
    Almost every serious debate about the greatest scientists that ever lived places these two physicists at the top, usually with Newton over Einstein. Things such as Lev Landau's infamous list make me cringe.
    I hadn't heard of Landau's list, but found this in Wikipedia:
    Landau's List

    Landau kept a list of names of physicists which he ranked on a logarithmic scale of productivity ranging from 0 to 5. The highest ranking, a 0.5, was assigned to Albert Einstein. A rank of 1 was awarded to 'historical giant' Isaac Newton, Satyendra Nath Bose, Eugene Wigner, and the founding fathers of quantum mechanics, Niels Bohr, Werner Heisenberg, Paul Dirac and Erwin Schrdinger. Landau ranked himself as a 2.5 but later promoted himself to a 2. David Mermin, writing about Landau, referred to the scale, and ranked himself in the fourth division, in the article My Life with Landau: Homage of a 4.5 to a 2.[5][6]
    So, what the hell are you even talking about?

    Einstein is a man who singlehandedly changed the way modern physics is performed.
    Singlehandedly? No. Einstein built on the work of other geniuses, like Maxwell. He lived in a time when there were many great physicists, with whom he traded ideas, and he got more than his fair share of publicity.
    Newton was just lucky that he was born way back when people were all primitive so he had the luxury of discovering easy things.
    You are either crazy, or a troll. In Newton's time, why would anybody even think the force that caused things to fall to earth is the same force holding the planets in orbit? It was a brilliant insight. Add his other accomplishments, in optics for example, and his greatness is obvious.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Professor Dave Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northumbria UK
    Posts
    1,027
    Tdotkrazy,
    Thinking the way you do, why bother to hold a poll betwen Newton and Einstein ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    Waveman, I'd much rather you stop trolling this forum with your self indulgent drivel until the point your thesis has actually been published and peer reviewed. M'kay?
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Moderator Moderator Janus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,200
    This seems to be much more of a general discussion topic, so I'm moving it there.
    "Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feelings for the strength of their argument.
    The heated mind resents the chill touch & relentless scrutiny of logic"-W.E. Gladstone


    Edit/Delete Message
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Moderator Moderator Janus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,200
    I've never understood the link some people try to make between "Einstein stole his ideas from others." and "Einstein was Wrong", Though I've seen it a number of times.
    Whether or not the theory was original to Einstein has no bearing on its validity. If anything, it means that others were thinking along the same lines.

    Also, claims that Einstein used his "celebrity status" to promote his ideas strikes me as a backwards argument, as when he published the ideas he is most famous for, he was an unknown in physics. He didn't become a name in physics until later, and this was because of his ideas becoming accepted, not the other way around.
    "Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feelings for the strength of their argument.
    The heated mind resents the chill touch & relentless scrutiny of logic"-W.E. Gladstone


    Edit/Delete Message
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    122
    Fame and contributions are two separate things...

    But obviously Newton surpasses Einstein in every aspect. The reason I put Newton above Einstein is because Newton set out the basis of physics itself, Einstein simply improved upon physics. Newton invented physics out of practically nothing during the time when Aristotle's science was taught in colleges.

    Planck and Faraday and lots of other scientists aren't as famous but also made lots of contributions
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Ph.D. Heinsbergrelatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    994
    he was a fraud and his theories were absurd.
    You are indeed brave, to say something like this..... :?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinsbergrelatz
    he was a fraud and his theories were absurd.
    You are indeed brave, to say something like this..... :?
    Bravery and stupidity are easily confused.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Ph.D. Heinsbergrelatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    994
    Bravery and stupidity are easily confused.
    ah~ yes indeed stupidity
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    JX
    JX is offline
    Forum Junior JX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Waveman28
    He is single handedly responsible for getting us into a blind alley where we are now stuck.
    Really? Someone should tell the folks at CERN.

    Quote Originally Posted by Waveman28
    Thankfully, due to my work and efforts, things are about to change.
    And what work is this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Waveman28
    Here is a wiki article about Einsteins fraudulent past: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativ...iority_dispute
    This is not a wiki about Einstein's fraudulent past, this is a wiki discussing the disputes that have arisen about Einstein's work. This in no way proves your point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Waveman28
    Look at google, see how many websites there are about Einstein as a fraud: http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...R2ADBR_enAU330
    Again, this cannot be used as proof of anything. First of all, many of those website are defending Einstein, not condemning him. Second, those that are accusing him of fraud are the ones with domain names like (from your link): jewwatch.com, whitecivilrights.com, and biblebelievers.org.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Bachelors Degree Waveman28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    417
    Really? Someone should tell the folks at CERN.
    Too late I'm afraid. The 10 billion dollars has already gone down the gurgler.

    And what work is this?
    A new theory I have developed which will be published and released this year. Basically, it explains how the ether exists, and using it, all physical phenomena can be explained in a consistent, simple and logical way.

    This is not a wiki about Einstein's fraudulent past, this is a wiki discussing the disputes that have arisen about Einstein's work. This in no way proves your point.
    No, but it at least shows the controversy surrounding him. That should be enough to at least make you suspicious, then further research will show you that he was a fraud.

    Again, this cannot be used as proof of anything. First of all, many of those website are defending Einstein, not condemning him. Second, those that are accusing him of fraud are the ones with domain names like (from your link): jewwatch.com, whitecivilrights.com, and biblebelievers.org.
    Nope. If you search them properly, you will find some well written articles by historians which show the fraudulence.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •