Notices
Results 1 to 46 of 46
Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Leszek Luchowski
  • 1 Post By KALSTER
  • 1 Post By icewendigo
  • 2 Post By LuciDreaming
  • 1 Post By shlunka
  • 3 Post By Lynx_Fox
  • 1 Post By seagypsy
  • 3 Post By AlexG
  • 1 Post By One beer

Thread: Why is life so long, boring and meaningless?

  1. #1 Why is life so long, boring and meaningless? 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,300
    I don't want to commit suicide or anything..I love the act of living, the acts of experiencing sex, passion, eating and laughter. I simply want to now how one can remain happy for long knowing that life will one day abruptly come to end..that everything you know and cherish will be forever lost in time...in a world of moral relativism there can be no absolute truth, so what do our petty ideals really mean? What does the word "mean" mean? Searching for meaning is merely searching for an uralt meme created perhaps thousands of years ago in humanity's past..a concept that exists solely in our minds. I don't think God's plan is cancer, AIDS, the H1N1 virus and the successful career of Carrot Top. I don't think anyone has a plan for me or cares about my fate besides me. Why do I have to work for a grocery store and live with my dad at 25 years of age? Why is life so predictable?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D. Leszek Luchowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gliwice, Poland
    Posts
    807
    There are many nasty things one can say about life, but "long" and "predictable" are not among them.


    Errant Catfish likes this.
    Leszek. Pronounced [LEH-sheck]. The wondering Slav.
    History teaches us that we don't learn from history.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: Why is life so long, boring and meaningless? 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    I don't want to commit suicide or anything..I love the act of living, the acts of experiencing sex, passion, eating and laughter. I simply want to now how one can remain happy for long knowing that life will one day abruptly come to end..that everything you know and cherish will be forever lost in time...in a world of moral relativism there can be no absolute truth, so what do our petty ideals really mean? What does the word "mean" mean? Searching for meaning is merely searching for an uralt meme created perhaps thousands of years ago in humanity's past..a concept that exists solely in our minds. I don't think God's plan is cancer, AIDS, the H1N1 virus and the successful career of Carrot Top. I don't think anyone has a plan for me or cares about my fate besides me. Why do I have to work for a grocery store and live with my dad at 25 years of age? Why is life so predictable?


    REPLY: Hello there gottspieler, Well, life just is life wanting to live and propagate the species you are a member of. It is not very long in my opinion, and it certainly need not be boring. I think you need to have sex or something. That seems to always cheer me up. ...Dr.Syntax
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4 Re: Why is life so long, boring and meaningless? 
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,500
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    I simply want to now how one can remain happy for long knowing that life will one day abruptly come to end.
    I suggest that happiness flows from sadness, suffering, and pain. Without those, you'd have nothing by which to understand the happiness in those instances where it is presented. If you were happy and nothing else, it would be rather meaningless and mundane. By having the ability to experience both positive and negative emotions, each takes on greater significance, greater depth, and greater breadth.

    So... To remain happy for a long time, you must spend time understanding what it means to be unhappy, to learn about what causes it, and then make the appropriate adjustments to your life accordingly.


    What is hot without cold? What is black without white? What is happy without unhappy? The frustration you feel right now is precisely what will allow you to experience happiness more profoundly when you do ultimately find it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5 Re: Why is life so long, boring and meaningless? 
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,227
    Quote Originally Posted by inow
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    I simply want to now how one can remain happy for long knowing that life will one day abruptly come to end.
    I suggest that happiness flows from sadness, suffering, and pain. Without those, you'd have nothing by which to understand the happiness in those instances where it is presented. If you were happy and nothing else, it would be rather meaningless and mundane. By having the ability to experience both positive and negative emotions, each takes on greater significance, greater depth, and greater breadth.

    So... To remain happy for a long time, you must spend time understanding what it means to be unhappy, to learn about what causes it, and then make the appropriate adjustments to your life accordingly.


    What is hot without cold? What is black without white? What is happy without unhappy? The frustration you feel right now is precisely what will allow you to experience happiness more profoundly when you do ultimately find it.
    Very true.

    Forgetting about God, there certainly is meaning to life. The meaning is to be found in our own development from birth and how this person affects everyone around him or her. We don't often think about this, but we all affect each other every day and in so doing we become part of each other. We are a product of the natural world (nature, DNA and such) and who we become by the influences of those around us.

    What will YOU do with your influence? :wink:
    Ascended likes this.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Luchowski
    There are many nasty things one can say about life, but "long" and "predictable" are not among them.
    How so? Most of life can be broken down into simple dichotomies (by life, I mean the behaviours and experiences of human beings, not a kaleidoscopic scientific meaning)...you're either a.) happy b.) sad you're either a.) rich or b.) poor (not to say that there can't be people who are slightly rich or poor..only that the two are the only two and their variations(slightly poor, very rich, very poor, etc.) are the only possible options). I find comedy less appealing now as well because almost all jokes are simply variants on simple dated themes like irony, sarcasm and sex jokes. Granted many chance events may occur in life but they follow patterns consistent with a multifaceted scientific analysis of the world. We know, for example, that the obese and elderly are at higher risk of having heart attacks than the general population. We know that hurricanes often strike coastal regions. We know that nearly 50% of the population will get cancer at some point in his or her lifetime. We know that we will eat, shit, drink, blink, age, breathe and sleep every day of our lives. These things are as certain as death and taxes.

    You may claim that a seemingly random event such as the lottery is unpredictable.. one could percieve it that way but I don't see it as such. I think it is very predictable. It is highly probable that a person won't win no matter how many times they try. I may hold an Anti-Panglossian bias yet this doesn't invalidate my argument (too much).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 Re: Why is life so long, boring and meaningless? 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER
    Quote Originally Posted by inow
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    I simply want to now how one can remain happy for long knowing that life will one day abruptly come to end.
    I suggest that happiness flows from sadness, suffering, and pain. Without those, you'd have nothing by which to understand the happiness in those instances where it is presented. If you were happy and nothing else, it would be rather meaningless and mundane. By having the ability to experience both positive and negative emotions, each takes on greater significance, greater depth, and greater breadth.

    So... To remain happy for a long time, you must spend time understanding what it means to be unhappy, to learn about what causes it, and then make the appropriate adjustments to your life accordingly.


    What is hot without cold? What is black without white? What is happy without unhappy? The frustration you feel right now is precisely what will allow you to experience happiness more profoundly when you do ultimately find it.
    Very true.

    Forgetting about God, there certainly is meaning to life. The meaning is to be found in our own development from birth and how this person affects everyone around him or her. We don't often think about this, but we all affect each other every day and in so doing we become part of each other. We are a product of the natural world (nature, DNA and such) and who we become by the influences of those around us.

    What will YOU do with your influence? :wink:
    Oh, I want to help and influence others, don't misunderstand me. I just have trouble finding inner peace.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    5,290
    You could go the way of the samurai. First thing about samurai is to quit caring if you die. Not in a morbid or suicidal way... just a frank indifference to mortality. Then something funny happens: One finds that instinct and reaction actually take care of life quite well. You may think what you like, but your body's going to look after you. This is liberating. You'll perform better with a relaxed mind unencumbered by fear and doubt.

    Then get a job as a roofer. :|
    A pong by any other name is still a pong. -williampinn
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D. Leszek Luchowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Gliwice, Poland
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Most of life can be broken down into simple dichotomies (by life, I mean the behaviours and experiences of human beings, not a kaleidoscopic scientific meaning)...you're either a.) happy b.) sad you're either a.) rich or b.) poor (not to say that there can't be people who are slightly rich or poor..only that the two are the only two and their variations(slightly poor, very rich, very poor, etc.) are the only possible options).
    When I was a kid, I dreamed - in fact, I planned - to build a computer that would look like a telephone receiver: you ask a question speaking into the mouthpiece and the earpiece speaks the answer into your ear.

    I knew that computers are electric devices using electric current, and that a current is described by its intensity (amperes) and voltage (volts). Both can be adjusted by a resistor (I didn't yet know how they relate to each other). So my computer would have a battery, a telephone mouthpiece (a carbon microphone of the 1960s), a telephone earpiece, and a resistor. My only problem was finding out the right value of the resistor to make it work.

    Now, thirty-five years and a PhD in computer science later, I know that there is more than that to computers. Even though they are electric devices and they do use electric current.

    It's about time you made a similar discovery about life.

    For starters, given that any taste is either bitter, sweet, salty, or umami, try cooking something tasty using just quinine, aspartam, salt, and sodium glutamate.

    Enjoy. Your life, I mean. The meal, you won't.
    Leszek. Pronounced [LEH-sheck]. The wondering Slav.
    History teaches us that we don't learn from history.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10 Don't be lose hearted 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1
    It's called nature.


    Nobody can overcome this problem and you have to accept it.


    You have no other option left in your hand.


    You can only make it come latter nothing else.


    But how long you live is doesn't matter just try to make you dead immortal to all.


    Wishing you be happy all the life.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    I know I've said this before on the site somewhere, but I'll say it again. We didn't evolve to be happy. We evolved to pursue those things which make us happy. And in an environment so far removed from that which we evolved in, with a vastly more complex culture, finding those stimuli that really make us happy is far more difficult. Thus our "purpose" or our life's "meaning" - those stimuli which we ought to pursue - is also that much more difficult to understand. Especially in a culture that is consciously aware that nothing in this universe has no inherent meaning or purpose. Or at least, after looking very intently for it, we haven't really found it.

    Being a human in this time and place, you have to find your own meaning and purpose and learn to be content with that. No one is going to give you an answer. No one is going to provide you with a convenient goal. All we can do is make our own, and enjoy our lives for the limited time that we have them. My best advice is to explore a wide variety of experiences, because this will be the best way to perhaps hit upon those things that really fulfill you. Even if it doesn't seem worth it, even if it seems too difficult.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Luchowski
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Most of life can be broken down into simple dichotomies (by life, I mean the behaviours and experiences of human beings, not a kaleidoscopic scientific meaning)...you're either a.) happy b.) sad you're either a.) rich or b.) poor (not to say that there can't be people who are slightly rich or poor..only that the two are the only two and their variations(slightly poor, very rich, very poor, etc.) are the only possible options).
    When I was a kid, I dreamed - in fact, I planned - to build a computer that would look like a telephone receiver: you ask a question speaking into the mouthpiece and the earpiece speaks the answer into your ear.

    I knew that computers are electric devices using electric current, and that a current is described by its intensity (amperes) and voltage (volts). Both can be adjusted by a resistor (I didn't yet know how they relate to each other). So my computer would have a battery, a telephone mouthpiece (a carbon microphone of the 1960s), a telephone earpiece, and a resistor. My only problem was finding out the right value of the resistor to make it work.

    Now, thirty-five years and a PhD in computer science later, I know that there is more than that to computers. Even though they are electric devices and they do use electric current.

    It's about time you made a similar discovery about life.

    For starters, given that any taste is either bitter, sweet, salty, or umami, try cooking something tasty using just quinine, aspartam, salt, and sodium glutamate.

    Enjoy. Your life, I mean. The meal, you won't.
    Yes sir. There is much more to computers and to life than it may seem at first glance. I agree with everything you've said yet it can't alter my worldview. My reasoning is that complexity only exists in relation to a complex system involving manifold constituent parts, each part simple and unimposing in it's own right. The human body is viewed as a complex system as a whole for example, although the heart is a simple (though extremely efficient in most cases) pump and the eyes cameras as you almost certainly already know. Organic chemistry is difficult until you learn nomenclature, spend hours in the lab and understand the nature of carbon, hydrogen, amino acids, enzymes, etc. etc. in detail. The workings of the human brain, genes and quantum physics are hard to understand because the fields of quantum physics, neuroscience and genetics are in their infancy. In 200 years or so we will see things more clearly.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,300
    Especially in a culture that is consciously aware that nothing in this universe has no inherent meaning or purpose.
    I agree with everything except this. I think most people (in the United States...about 50/50 in Europe) live in a happy, blissfully unaware fantasy world in their minds ( I know because I once felt that way) built upon a sturdy foundation of misunderstanding and ignorance due to lack of a proper scientific education and or religious indoctrination. Also, some choose not to accept the truth because in reality life is brutish and unfair (though this is a bit of a misnomer as fairness doesn't exist, it illustrates my point).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Especially in a culture that is consciously aware that nothing in this universe has no inherent meaning or purpose.
    I agree with everything except this. I think most people (in the United States...about 50/50 in Europe) live in a happy, blissfully unaware fantasy world in their minds ( I know because I once felt that way) built upon a sturdy foundation of misunderstanding and ignorance due to lack of a proper scientific education and or religious indoctrination. Also, some choose not to accept the truth because in reality life is brutish and unfair (though this is a bit of a misnomer as fairness doesn't exist, it illustrates my point).
    But as someone very interested in science and education, you are part of a culture which does not share that delusion. I was talking about you and people like you (us), not everybody in the world.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by paralith
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Especially in a culture that is consciously aware that nothing in this universe has no inherent meaning or purpose.
    I agree with everything except this. I think most people (in the United States...about 50/50 in Europe) live in a happy, blissfully unaware fantasy world in their minds ( I know because I once felt that way) built upon a sturdy foundation of misunderstanding and ignorance due to lack of a proper scientific education and or religious indoctrination. Also, some choose not to accept the truth because in reality life is brutish and unfair (though this is a bit of a misnomer as fairness doesn't exist, it illustrates my point).
    But as someone very interested in science and education, you are part of a culture which does not share that delusion. I was talking about you and people like you (us), not everybody in the world.
    I am... but I fear for my fellow man. The thing that troubles me the most is that due to a shift in values and culture related to minorities in America (the Latino/African American community) and Great Britain (Middle Easterners) rapidly becoming the majority, the impetus on scientific education may diminish. We have thousands of wannabee gangsters (wiggers included) flooding our high schools. We all have easy access to guns and drugs. I can't say that a certain race is culpable for spreading ignorance..fundamentalist christians in the Bible Belt are primarily white (as far as I know..haven't seen the statistics)..just that an overwhelming percentage of high school dropouts and prisoners are Latino or African American in this country and that if populations of Latinos and African Americans surge, so must the crime rate and some of the negative cultural influences. And due to "political correctness" (invented by frightened white people afraid to speak their minds in fear of retribution) no one will work on the problem by addressing it openly in order to solve it by helping motivate minority children at a young age to value an education and to keep them away from drugs and violence.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16 Re: Why is life so long, boring and meaningless? 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    124
    Hey man. Sorry you are feeling down and life is unpredictable.

    If it is of any value to you, there are many people here who feel the same, billions perhaps, we are together in that.

    I read a good book recently "Overcoming the Dread of Death" by Yallom, it might help you, it talks of the different ways that you can view life and death; for instance, people fear death because of their non-existence, but there was already a time when you were non-existent, and you are going back there. And there is also rippling, having an impact on other people you meet which affects them and is passed on and on - so some people get jobs that allow them to have a lot of impact on people, like in healthcare.

    The other thing I would say is that people sort of trap themselves in. Everyday we are bombarded with images about buying and need, needing a house, a wife, a car etc... and so we feel pressured to lock ourselves in to working in order to get these things. But man is a hardy animal, with a few rags and some simple food he could walk right round the planet ... now that wouldn't be boring would it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15
    The world is supposedly going to End on 20 December 2012. See you in the next life. lol
    We are shocked and appalled to hear that the number of animals condemned to lives of suffering in EU laboratories has hit a ten year high.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    I am... but I fear for my fellow man. The thing that troubles me the most is that due to a shift in values and culture related to minorities in America (the Latino/African American community) and Great Britain (Middle Easterners) rapidly becoming the majority, the impetus on scientific education may diminish. We have thousands of wannabee gangsters (wiggers included) flooding our high schools. We all have easy access to guns and drugs. I can't say that a certain race is culpable for spreading ignorance..fundamentalist christians in the Bible Belt are primarily white (as far as I know..haven't seen the statistics)..just that an overwhelming percentage of high school dropouts and prisoners are Latino or African American in this country and that if populations of Latinos and African Americans surge, so must the crime rate and some of the negative cultural influences. And due to "political correctness" (invented by frightened white people afraid to speak their minds in fear of retribution) no one will work on the problem by addressing it openly in order to solve it by helping motivate minority children at a young age to value an education and to keep them away from drugs and violence.
    Now I find this very interesting, not in terms of the point you're actually trying to make but in terms of how this clearly represents an issue that concerns you, that you care about, and that you think needs to be changed. This is something that you can do with your life, this is a purpose you can give yourself, to work in your own way to alleviate ignorance, or any of the other accompanying problems with the trend you're describing.

    gottspieler, I have always been impressed by your curiosity and your willingness to educate yourself, and this leads me to believe that if you found an issue you care about and devoted yourself to, you really could make a difference in some people's lives. And that is a wonderful meaning or purpose to give yourself.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19 DONT PAY BACK...PAY IT FORWARD 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2
    The world can seem like an unfriendly, threatening place, yet we all want safety, health, and happiness for ourselves and our loved ones. How can one ordinary person -- you or me -- make a positive difference in this world? One way is the practice "paying it forward." While the steps might be simple, the outcome could change the world.

    Do something nice for someone you don't know (or don't know very well). It should be something significant, and not for a person from whom you expect a good deed -- or anything at all, for that matter -- in return

    Practicing the "pay it forward" principle will make you alert to unexpected kindness from strangers toward you, and you may find yourself becoming more grateful for everyday kindness and consideration from people you don't even know
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    124
    If you have learnt to see through a lot of the bullshit of life then maybe you would be interested to go further. That's basically what spirituality is, going further, investigating into yourself.

    You forget all the bullshit that Chrisitians talk about God, that's obviously bullshit, but there is more to spirituality than that !

    Nature has designed you in a certain way - but humans can see beyond it. You can see how a particular event is just a social gathering, or a mating gathering or something else within nature. We can observe ourselves doing it. So ... what else can you observe inside yourself ... don't stop there !

    You talk of death. One option for you is to meditate on death. I am looking at doing this at the moment ... it feels pretty scary. You can get instructions online, it's a well known kind of meditation. The idea being that if you 'meditate' on it, it rids of you of a lot of baggage and you are left with the core of what you really want to do with the time you have left.

    I takes effort. Just sitting there trying to think your way out of your fears I don't think is going to get you anywhere - doing the same thing expecting different results ...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,300
    I appreciate the responses.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    3
    How old are you? If you were as pld as me you would know that life is essentially very boring and thus very long!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,150
    How can it be boring, have you seen World War Z? its about the dead rising, a drama and necromancy, even things buried and forgotten since 2009 can rise and run after you.


    I havent seen it yet but I might. Its pop corn entertainment and probably predictable like typical blockbusters, but every once in a while it can be fun. Variety is the spice of life.

    You can also play video games like Diablo 2, and play the Necromancer class
    Last edited by icewendigo; July 9th, 2013 at 01:42 PM.
    Ascended likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Masters Degree LuciDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by dallanhk View Post
    How old are you? If you were as pld as me you would know that life is essentially very boring and thus very long!
    Your life is what you make it. My life is not in the least bit boring and will never be long enough.
    Strange and Ascended like this.
    "And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh" Nietzsche.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,802
    Do something that risks your life, skydiving might work, for me it was an accidental situation. When you feel that death is imminent, you cling to life with a VERY vehement desperation.
    Ascended likes this.
    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,247
    Quote Originally Posted by dallanhk View Post
    How old are you? If you were as pld as me you would know that life is essentially very boring and thus very long!
    Ditto.

    Life is what you make of it. I'm always a bit surprised and a bit depressing to meet people I used to know, who've let their life become boring; people who never developed interest; who spend their freetime watching TV reality shows instead of doing a bit to turn their life into one; people without book or intellectual curiosity; people just waiting for fate to steal their life.

    I could live for two hundred years and hardly put a dent into my interest, or work off a tenth of my bucket list.

    --
    Why do people let their lives become so darn dull?
    adelady, Ascended and LuciDreaming like this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,114
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Do something that risks your life, skydiving might work, for me it was an accidental situation. When you feel that death is imminent, you cling to life with a VERY vehement desperation.
    Not always. Sometimes you simply realize it's back to the drawing board.
    Neverfly likes this.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler View Post
    ... I simply want to now how one can remain happy for long knowing that life will one day abruptly come to end..that everything you know and cherish will be forever lost in time...
    But you don't know that life will one day abruptly come to an end. I'm not trying to convince you an after-life. I'm merely pointing out that one cannot know. Like the saying goes, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,337
    Quote Originally Posted by This Desert Man View Post
    But you don't know that life will one day abruptly come to an end.
    Unless you have some particular and not-generally-known-and-accepted definition of life (especially in the context of a human being saying "I have a life"), then the factual response here is: of course we know that.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by This Desert Man View Post
    But you don't know that life will one day abruptly come to an end.
    Unless you have some particular and not-generally-known-and-accepted definition of life (especially in the context of a human being saying "I have a life"), then the factual response here is: of course we know that.
    I disagree because if not the majority then a large portion of the world-population believes (some think they know) that life doesn't end in the sense that I perceived 'gottspieler' to be using. Are you and I merely looking at it differently? Perhaps we're not really so far off one another's paradigm's.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,337
    Quote Originally Posted by This Desert Man View Post
    I disagree because if not the majority then a large portion of the world-population believes (some think they know) that life doesn't end in the sense that I perceived 'gottspieler' to be using. Are you and I merely looking at it differently? Perhaps we're not really so far off one another's paradigm's.
    Yet every single one of those cultures buries, burns or otherwise disposes of the body of the "not-actually-deceased", you know, when life comes abruptly to an end...
    I wonder how that works?
    Regardless of what anyone believes there is not one shred of evidence that the belief has any foundation in fact.
    Plus, like I said, even IF there is some sort of "life after death" it doesn't appear to have anything in common with what is known as life - either scientifically or "in practice" 1.

    1 Are there jobs in heaven? Mortgage worries? Schools for those who died young? Do we eat/ drink/ whatever?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by This Desert Man View Post
    I disagree because if not the majority then a large portion of the world-population believes (some think they know) that life doesn't end in the sense that I perceived 'gottspieler' to be using. Are you and I merely looking at it differently? Perhaps we're not really so far off one another's paradigm's.
    Yet every single one of those cultures buries, burns or otherwise disposes of the body of the "not-actually-deceased", you know, when life comes abruptly to an end...
    I wonder how that works?
    Regardless of what anyone believes there is not one shred of evidence that the belief has any foundation in fact.
    Plus, like I said, even IF there is some sort of "life after death" it doesn't appear to have anything in common with what is known as life - either scientifically or "in practice" 1.

    1 Are there jobs in heaven? Mortgage worries? Schools for those who died young? Do we eat/ drink/ whatever?
    Are you really unaware of the beliefs of so many millions of your fellow-travelers? I don't think so. Or are you expecting me to argue in favor of believing in life after death? I have no interest in that. My only point was that neither side *knows*.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,114
    Quote Originally Posted by This Desert Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by This Desert Man View Post
    I disagree because if not the majority then a large portion of the world-population believes (some think they know) that life doesn't end in the sense that I perceived 'gottspieler' to be using. Are you and I merely looking at it differently? Perhaps we're not really so far off one another's paradigm's.
    Yet every single one of those cultures buries, burns or otherwise disposes of the body of the "not-actually-deceased", you know, when life comes abruptly to an end...
    I wonder how that works?
    Regardless of what anyone believes there is not one shred of evidence that the belief has any foundation in fact.
    Plus, like I said, even IF there is some sort of "life after death" it doesn't appear to have anything in common with what is known as life - either scientifically or "in practice" 1.

    1 Are there jobs in heaven? Mortgage worries? Schools for those who died young? Do we eat/ drink/ whatever?
    Are you really unaware of the beliefs of so many millions of your fellow-travelers? I don't think so. Or are you expecting me to argue in favor of believing in life after death? I have no interest in that. My only point was that neither side *knows*.
    The scientific definition of death happens to every living thing. Those of use who appreciate science and understand the basic concepts of it, KNOW that the cessation of biological and metabolic functions will happen to every organism that ever happens to exist. This cessation is death. Whatever mystical definitions those of faith want to apply to the words "life" and "death" have nothing to do with science or known reality. Beliefs are simply imaginative speculations treated as facts.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,337
    Quote Originally Posted by This Desert Man View Post
    Are you really unaware of the beliefs of so many millions of your fellow-travelers?
    Hmm, which part of "Regardless of what anyone believes there is not one shred of evidence that the belief has any foundation in fact" indicates that I'm unaware of beliefs regarding the subject?
    People are capable of accepting and holding remarkably stupid beliefs. Especially if they find them comforting.
    Reassurance isn't a criterion for accuracy.

    My only point was that neither side *knows*.
    And you evidently missed my point that there is absolutely NOTHING to indicate that the belief in life after is predicated on anything factual or real.
    E.g. there is zero evidence to support it, and thus it's therefore hardly worth consideration.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence: were it a claim of, say, 200-foot-tall elephants living in the wild (which has exactly as much evidence) would you be as even handed and say that simply because no-one knows it's worth entertaining at all?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by This Desert Man View Post
    Are you really unaware of the beliefs of so many millions of your fellow-travelers?
    Hmm, which part of "Regardless of what anyone believes there is not one shred of evidence that the belief has any foundation in fact" indicates that I'm unaware of beliefs regarding the subject?
    People are capable of accepting and holding remarkably stupid beliefs. Especially if they find them comforting.
    Reassurance isn't a criterion for accuracy.

    My only point was that neither side *knows*.
    And you evidently missed my point that there is absolutely NOTHING to indicate that the belief in life after is predicated on anything factual or real.
    E.g. there is zero evidence to support it, and thus it's therefore hardly worth consideration.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence: were it a claim of, say, 200-foot-tall elephants living in the wild (which has exactly as much evidence) would you be as even handed and say that simply because no-one knows it's worth entertaining at all?
    I didn't miss your point, Dywyddr. I just think it is irrelevant to what I said to 'gottspieler'. Isn't being happy largely a matter of choice more so than reason, or evidence, or facts?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by seagypsy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by This Desert Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by This Desert Man View Post
    I disagree because if not the majority then a large portion of the world-population believes (some think they know) that life doesn't end in the sense that I perceived 'gottspieler' to be using. Are you and I merely looking at it differently? Perhaps we're not really so far off one another's paradigm's.
    Yet every single one of those cultures buries, burns or otherwise disposes of the body of the "not-actually-deceased", you know, when life comes abruptly to an end...
    I wonder how that works?
    Regardless of what anyone believes there is not one shred of evidence that the belief has any foundation in fact.
    Plus, like I said, even IF there is some sort of "life after death" it doesn't appear to have anything in common with what is known as life - either scientifically or "in practice" 1.

    1 Are there jobs in heaven? Mortgage worries? Schools for those who died young? Do we eat/ drink/ whatever?
    Are you really unaware of the beliefs of so many millions of your fellow-travelers? I don't think so. Or are you expecting me to argue in favor of believing in life after death? I have no interest in that. My only point was that neither side *knows*.
    The scientific definition of death happens to every living thing. Those of use who appreciate science and understand the basic concepts of it, KNOW that the cessation of biological and metabolic functions will happen to every organism that ever happens to exist. This cessation is death. Whatever mystical definitions those of faith want to apply to the words "life" and "death" have nothing to do with science or known reality. Beliefs are simply imaginative speculations treated as facts.
    I don't dispute any of this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,337
    Quote Originally Posted by This Desert Man View Post
    I don't dispute any of this.
    So it wasn't you who wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by This Desert Man View Post
    But you don't know that life will one day abruptly come to an end
    I have no idea what your point is here.

    Quote Originally Posted by This Desert Man View Post
    I didn't miss your point, Dywyddr.
    Again, who was it that wrote:
    Are you really unaware of the beliefs of so many millions of your fellow-travelers?
    And again, I have no idea what you're getting at.

    Isn't being happy largely a matter of choice more so than reason, or evidence, or facts?
    How solid is a happiness based on a denial of facts? How long is it likely to last? What other aspects of life would you advocate inventing falsehoods and denying reality for in order to "be happy"?
    Ignorance is bliss?
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,114
    Quote Originally Posted by This Desert Man View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by This Desert Man View Post
    Are you really unaware of the beliefs of so many millions of your fellow-travelers?
    Hmm, which part of "Regardless of what anyone believes there is not one shred of evidence that the belief has any foundation in fact" indicates that I'm unaware of beliefs regarding the subject?
    People are capable of accepting and holding remarkably stupid beliefs. Especially if they find them comforting.
    Reassurance isn't a criterion for accuracy.

    My only point was that neither side *knows*.
    And you evidently missed my point that there is absolutely NOTHING to indicate that the belief in life after is predicated on anything factual or real.
    E.g. there is zero evidence to support it, and thus it's therefore hardly worth consideration.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence: were it a claim of, say, 200-foot-tall elephants living in the wild (which has exactly as much evidence) would you be as even handed and say that simply because no-one knows it's worth entertaining at all?
    I didn't miss your point, Dywyddr. I just think it is irrelevant to what I said to 'gottspieler'. Isn't being happy largely a matter of choice more so than reason, or evidence, or facts?
    Sure, being happy is a choice. So why would it matter that some people believe life is or can be eternal? Gottspeiler acknowledged that life ends. He is unhappy with that. That is his choice. He simply expressed an inability to relate to those of use who are perfectly content or happy knowing that our lives will end and that some day we will mostly be forgotten and our past existence will no longer bear any significance at all.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,150
    (Btw My comment about World War Z and things from 2009 coming back to life was a joke, this was a 2009 thread, unless my dates are wrong)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,815
    We do all know that Gottspeiler is Mikepotter, who was bitching because he was bored and there were no video games for him to play?
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,150
    No not all, I didnt know.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Anti-Crank AlexG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,815
    Four years ago he's complaining about living with his father and working in a grocery store, and he's still complaining about living with his father and working in a grocery store.
    Its the way nature is!
    If you dont like it, go somewhere else....
    To another universe, where the rules are simpler
    Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
    Prof Richard Feynman (1979) .....

    Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Forum Masters Degree LuciDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    660
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
    We do all know that Gottspeiler is Mikepotter, who was bitching because he was bored and there were no video games for him to play?
    I didn't know that either.... Thanks Alex
    "And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh" Nietzsche.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Forum Bachelors Degree One beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    453
    "Life" is not long, boring and meaningless, but working in a grocery store for four years and playing computer games in your bedroom at night might very well be.


    To all the mikepotters out there:

    Life is what you make it. But you have to reach out and find it, it won't come to you. If you don't like working in a grocery store, do something else.

    To do something else, you will need either skills, experience or qualifications. It sounds like you have no skills, and at 25, you don't have much experience, so you need qualifications. If you have no qualifications, you need to get them. Working at the store by day, you will have to go to night school or do a correspondence course or similar. But you will need to work. I am an airline pilot, and I worked my xxxx off to get where I am today. I had to save £50,000 to pay for my training by working for years in a previous job. Then for 18 months in flight school I got up at 0600, and rarely got to bed before 2400, and that was just to get my licence. 13 years since then and I'm still learning, and am not at the top yet but am at least flying.

    So you have to put the effort in to get where you want to be - nobody is going to do it for you. My guess is that you've never actually sat down and thought "What do I want to do?" Write a list of your wildest dreams: F1 driver?, Movie star?, President of a chemical company?, Owner of a charter big game fishing boat?, whatever. Then think about how you might achieve such things, then go for it.



    Life only becomes boring if you let it be that way. Get out there and do something about it. Live your life!




    OB
    seagypsy likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,337
    Quote Originally Posted by One beer View Post
    So you have to put the effort in to get where you want to be - nobody is going to do it for you. My guess is that you've never actually sat down and thought "What do I want to do?" Write a list of your wildest dreams
    Wow!
    Good advice: you've no idea how much more exciting my life would be if I could write a list.
    Although I'm nervous - it might be a step too far.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,114
    I'm afraid to write a list of my wildest dreams. I keep them safely tucked away in my brain where they can't be seen by others or presented in court as evidence against me some day.

    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •