Notices
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Does the world 'Need' Rules?

  1. #1 Does the world 'Need' Rules? 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Beverly Hills, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    140
    Does this world 'Need' rules?
    i mean like what would happen if 'Rules' were NOT governed..... world chaos? would the world fall over itself?

    Does this world 'Need' religion? (i think yes because " everyone needs something to believe in" ) but i dont follow any religions.... but i do appreciate their values that they are showing in their various teachings shown in the Quran (Islam) or in the Bible (Christianity)

    Does this world 'Need' science? (personally i think yes for the intelligent persons :wink: 8) )


    "Give Your Soul to me For Eternity, and take Your place Inside The Fire in my Life" "Inside The Fire" by Disturbed

    'Asprin' Apply Directly To The Forehead =P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: Does the world 'Need' Rules? 
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman34
    Does this world 'Need' rules?
    i mean like what would happen if 'Rules' were NOT governed..... world chaos? would the world fall over itself?
    The civilised world? Certainly. But it's possible to survive without.

    I've tried it, I know. I'm sure I could live with my knife as my only tool, and only that because there's no decent flint around here. I might have to give up on vegetarianism though...

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman34
    Does this world 'Need' religion? (i think yes because " everyone needs something to believe in" ) but i dont follow any religions.... but i do appreciate their values that they are showing in their various teachings shown in the Quran (Islam) or in the Bible (Christianity)
    As a nihilist, I can tell you it does not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman34
    Does this world 'Need' science? (personally i think yes for the intelligent persons :wink: 8) )
    No. Not once it's already lost civilisation, anyway


    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Professor marcusclayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,702
    "Does this world 'Need' rules?"
    The world spelled with a w or a capital M?

    "i mean like what would happen if 'Rules' were NOT governed"
    I don't know, but I'm not totally convinced they are. Cops are the only rules that I've seen in action. The presence of cops/rules can be good for a community, if they are respected.

    "..... world chaos? would the world fall over itself?"
    Maybe, that would be interesting. Doubtful though, it's happened before.



    "Does this world 'Need' religion?"
    Again, the world spelled with a w or a capital M?

    "(i think yes because " everyone needs something to believe in" )"
    According to whom?

    "but i dont follow any religions...."
    Do you believe in God?

    "but i do appreciate their values that they are showing in their various teachings shown in the Quran (Islam) or in the Bible (Christianity)"

    What is your opinion about Hindus, Jews, Buddhists, Scientology-ers and Catholics?

    "Does this world 'Need' science?"
    Science made the world, didn't it?

    "(personally i think yes for the intelligent persons Wink Cool )"
    You are intelligent, I don't care what the others say :wink:

    "As a nihilist, I can tell you it does not. " -drowsy turtle
    I'm a faithful nihilist. Simply thinking that there is no meaning to anything doesn't mean you don't believe in God.
    Dick, be Frank.

    Ambiguity Kills.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor marcusclayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,702
    oops, double post
    Dick, be Frank.

    Ambiguity Kills.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Ph.D. Steve Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Magdeburg, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany
    Posts
    782
    I think there are certain rules the world does obey to. Science somehow discovers them, artfully.

    These discoveries help us to live our lives in grace.

    Steve
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Beverly Hills, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    140
    murcusclayman what are you on about?????!?!

    "spelt with a capital w or M"
    this has no real relevance about the question(s) that im asking about.......
    btw no i DONT believe in "God" i believe that: "that there is something up there.... but as to what it is.... i will not comment" but when i get TOLD by most people after i say that i ALWAYS get told that its "God" and thus makes me very VERY doubtful about the whole subect of religion.... i (personally, please dont take any offense to this, no offence intended) is a real waste of my time because if something did happen to the world people WOULDNT be prepared..... instead of getting ready in a bomb shelter if a nuclear holocaust happened we would be wasting time praying to something that may OR maynot exist...... so really, i find the whole concept of religion a blasphemy (these are just my personal thoughts... no offense was intented if i have offended someone i am sorry in advance)

    to answer your post comment on "i think everyone needs something to believe in" if we did NOT believe then we would lack the self confidence which gives us the strength for day to day activities

    i respect the hindus jews muslims etc..... but the catholics are the people that i have REAL problems with..... basically they are the most corrupt people in the world and everytime i got to a chapel service of theirs i cant help but feel somehow "infected" by their taint...... i just srsly hate them... look up history and then u'll know whay i hate them with a passion.... sorry to all you catholics out there... i dont hate you guys im sure ur good people its just the catholic church and their pope that has fallen into ruin and corruption has come to stay with them...... im just a very angry person around the subject of religion.... im fine about it in general conversation... but when people try to force it onto me with my previous statement "i do believe there is something up there... but will not comment" and the other why i generally dont like religion is just because i see constantly from time to time in chapel services "i am the only thing that can make you happy" or "i am the only person who can help you fill that void in your existance" or along the lines of such.... etc...

    im not sure what actually what did make the world

    btw i did not say i was a "nilhilist" and what is a nilhlist anyway?

    and you cant have science without religion..... its just like having good and evil.... u cant have one with out the other.... e.g. yin yang etc...

    sorry ive been raving..... its just something i feel strongly about..... IF i have offended ANYONE in advance, my sincerest apoligies....
    "Give Your Soul to me For Eternity, and take Your place Inside The Fire in my Life" "Inside The Fire" by Disturbed

    'Asprin' Apply Directly To The Forehead =P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman34
    btw i did not say i was a "nilhilist" and what is a nilhlist anyway?
    Someone who believes there is no point, purpose or reason to anything, and does not believe in a god. I am a nihilist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman34
    and you cant have science without religion.....
    I manage just fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman34
    its just like having good and evil....
    Good and evil are subjective.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman34
    u cant have one with out the other....
    I disagree entirely. I am fine with science and not religion.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Professor marcusclayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,702
    The world spelled with a w or capital M is a sarcastic remark. Sorry if it was a bit abstract.

    The world as in "earth"(the world world) or the world as in "society"(Man's world)

    I accidentally quoted drowsy and said it was spaceman... it's corrected now, sorry

    I thought that nihilism was merely the belief that there is no "moral truth"
    Dick, be Frank.

    Ambiguity Kills.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by marcusclayman
    I thought that nihilism was merely the belief that there is no "moral truth"
    Probably. I fit the word nihilism to what I believe, rather than the other way around.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    People need spirituality of some sort, not necessarily religion..people choose religion as a way of making peace with others, with oneself and with death. Why else would so many religions offer eternal life and happiness and prosperity on earth as well? I think there is no harm in believing in Something, or at least the possibility of something as opposed to nothing. The dogma of certain religions past and present (blood sacrifice, cannibalism, not being able to eat pork, avoidance of evil spirits, etc) simply doesn't make any sense. I think all religions need to be reformed and focus more on individual spirituality via quiet meditation and introspection. Religion should be all about finding peace and being one with nature...not pretending to be better than other animals and other people.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Professor marcusclayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,702
    "I fit the word nihilism to what I believe, rather than the other way around."

    I don't mean to be overly critical or offensive, but this sort of attitude can cause a lot of confusion when talking to people who A: don't know what a word means and ask you to explain it, thus their definition of the word is not the common one, but the one that you choose, spreading confusion, and B: do know what the word means but not what you mean, thus they assume you mean what the word means, which can cause confusion.

    So when saying "I don't believe in God because I'm a nihilist" is not a true statement, according to the definition of the word, because being nihilist has nothing to do with believing in God, and so it's not a reason not to.

    I know that's not what you said, but you did say something similar, which confused me.
    Dick, be Frank.

    Ambiguity Kills.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,255
    ni·hil·ism (nī'ə-lĭz'əm, nē'-)
    n.

    1. Philosophy
    1. An extreme form of skepticism that denies all existence.
    2. A doctrine holding that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated.
    2. Rejection of all distinctions in moral or religious value and a willingness to repudiate all previous theories of morality or religious belief.
    3. The belief that destruction of existing political or social institutions is necessary for future improvement.
    4. also Nihilism A diffuse, revolutionary movement of mid 19th-century Russia that scorned authority and tradition and believed in reason, materialism, and radical change in society and government through terrorism and assassination.
    5. Psychiatry A delusion, experienced in some mental disorders, that the world or one's mind, body, or self does not exist.
    Nihilists generally do not believe in a god.

    I use the word nihilist to describe my beliefs/lack of beliefs because it's much easier than explaining exactly what I believe. Just like there are different beliefs within christianity.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor marcusclayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,702
    I'm not religious. I have no beliefs, only a hypothesis that God exists, and the faith to live the experiment.
    Dick, be Frank.

    Ambiguity Kills.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •