Notices
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Odd question in molecules

  1. #1 Odd question in molecules 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    2
    I'm new here doing some personal research and wanted to see if anyone could answer an odd question. This is a two part question. Part A: Is everything composed of molecules? Part B: If everything is composed of molecules and one could control molecules, could you stop space and time theoretically? I know that time is subjective, but in aspect to space and freezing everything in its place, could this happen? Sorry if this sounds confusing. Please let me know if I need to elaborate.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: Odd question in molecules 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by the librarian
    I'm new here doing some personal research and wanted to see if anyone could answer an odd question. This is a two part question. Part A: Is everything composed of molecules? Part B: If everything is composed of molecules and one could control molecules, could you stop space and time theoretically? I know that time is subjective, but in aspect to space and freezing everything in its place, could this happen? Sorry if this sounds confusing. Please let me know if I need to elaborate.
    No not everything is made of molecules.
    The latest theory is that Time exists only as motion, if you stopped everything moving (including sub atomic particles within individual atoms and all photons etc etc then time would, theoretically stop, but equally it could not then restart.

    THere is not enough energy in the universe to cause the universe to stop.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    159
    wert is, again, right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In chemistry, a molecule is defined as a sufficiently stable electrically neutral group of at least two atoms in a definite arrangement held together by very strong chemical bonds.
    A molecule is two or more atoms. Single atoms are not molecules. Neither are electrons, protons or neutrons. Or photons. Most matter is made up of atoms, and many of these are molecules, but not all.

    And with regard to Time, yes. Time is generally considered to be merely a measure of change. So if nothing changes, there is no Time. I'm not so sure about the starting up again though. But of course if everything stopped then several principles of physics would be violated, namely Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and, I suppose, Brownian Motion.

    But then, Time could stop for several...errm, well it could stop, anyway, and start up later, and we would never know. Of course without Time you can't measure the later and therefore there could be no later, so there can be no space of Time between the time that Time stops and the time it starts, therefore Time can stop as many times as it likes, but it will never stop for any length of time, which effectively means it doesn't stop, and so the only time it can is when it will never start again.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Augusta, GA
    Posts
    2
    Then I have some follow-up questions:

    Quote Originally Posted by wert
    The latest theory is that Time exists only as motion
    Who's theory should I look at in response to Time as motion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazz
    A molecule is two or more atoms. Single atoms are not molecules. Neither are electrons, protons or neutrons. Or photons. Most matter is made up of atoms, and many of these are molecules, but not all.
    Then should I base my earlier thought around atoms rather than molecules?

    And thanks Hazz, I will look into the principles of physics that would be violated.
    Now this is my last question, based on what Hazz said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazz
    But then, Time could stop for several...errm, well it could stop, anyway, and start up later, and we would never know. Of course without Time you can't measure the later and therefore there could be no later, so there can be no space of Time between the time that Time stops and the time it starts, therefore Time can stop as many times as it likes, but it will never stop for any length of time, which effectively means it doesn't stop, and so the only time it can is when it will never start again.
    Does atoms have any effect on time and space in the universe? So, if one were to stop time theoretically, though the only one who witnesses this frozen-ness of reality is the one stopping it, then time can be restarted since it had never stopped. Then finally this would mean that time wouldn't have stop but slow down to a point were time would seem to be frozen but in truth is that it is still moving.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    439
    I seem to remember that it went something like this "Time is a word used by humans to express the passage of motion", this is then coupled to work at the Planck institute which suggests that motion stops at planck intervals. It may be soon that if this is more widely accepted it could be possible to say 'TIme is infinite but motion constantly stops and restarts thus reassigning the word time to have a new meaning derived directly from quantum physics. I do not say that I subscribe to all this or that I have accurately explained it.

    Maybe other things happen in these motion pauses, like photons move and hence they change position but do not experience 'time'. To me a 'multiplexed universe' is a fascinating concept and maybe even a gateway to faster than light travel, but that is all pure speculation on my part.

    Google things like "TIme may not exist" if you wish to dig deeper.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •