Notices
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: new guy

  1. #1 new guy 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    135
    Hello I am the man of science. Science is by far my favorite subject and I have never gotten less than an A in any science course. I am currently in chemistry and next year I plan to take AP biology, AP chemistry, and Zoology/Neurobiology.
    I have a 140 iq and currently am getting a 3.6 gpa at my school(damn u calculus and ur ridiculous difficulty, the fact that I am a year ahead, and my teacher isn't so great and gives us the hardest problems ever ) I plan to be a vet when I get older and currently work as a vet assistant at a local vet hospital. I also have a 2 week vet internship coming up as well. Aside from being a nerd, I love video games, movies, and chilling with my friends.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2
    i love science too

    however i think many scientists nowadays concentrate too much on abstract stuff and become out of touch with reality

    this is ironic because its reality the scientists wanted to study in the first place


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    135
    I agree with u soooo much. I love ur pic of that wolf btw. Welcome to the forums and if u have questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by the man of science
    I agree with u soooo much. I love ur pic of that wolf btw. Welcome to the forums and if u have questions don't hesitate to ask.
    If I didn't know better I would SWEAR the aforequoted would spell "Troll"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie
    however i think many scientists nowadays concentrate too much on abstract stuff and become out of touch with realityplace
    Do you have any concrete examples or sources to back up that claim? Some of us are practicing scientists and I for one highly disagree with that statement.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    792
    Yeah I'd have to agree with paralith. I have actually done research with full time academic research scientists and have found their research to be seriously concrete in terms of results they've produced; the same goes for any serious academic institution that's why people are employed there.
    The same of course would go for commerial labs as they wouldnt make money if they didnt produce results.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 Re: new guy 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by the man of science
    Hello I am the man of science. Science is by far my favorite subject and I have a 140 iq
    do you know there is somebody on this forum who is looking for someone like you? seriously! check out the thread 'assistance required' in 'general discussion'. that guy wants to talk to an alien. he is by his own admission an 'alienmba' so maybe you're from the same planet but even if not you seem to have quite a lot in common as aliens stranded on a planet far from home. and remember, the answer is 4.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by paralith
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie
    however i think many scientists nowadays concentrate too much on abstract stuff and become out of touch with realityplace
    Do you have any concrete examples or sources to back up that claim? Some of us are practicing scientists and I for one highly disagree with that statement.
    I think wolfie was mostly directing his comment to Physics, and its tendency to swerve off on strange, abstract tangents. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with his point, I'm just trying to clarify it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazz
    Quote Originally Posted by paralith
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie
    however i think many scientists nowadays concentrate too much on abstract stuff and become out of touch with realityplace
    Do you have any concrete examples or sources to back up that claim? Some of us are practicing scientists and I for one highly disagree with that statement.
    I think wolfie was mostly directing his comment to Physics, and its tendency to swerve off on strange, abstract tangents. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with his point, I'm just trying to clarify it.
    I work in biology so I can't pretend to know much about physics, but I would hesitate to call a physicist's work abstract. They often deal with size or time scales which are difficult for a human to conceive of, but that most certainly does not mean they are somehow working with non-real phenomenon. I would still have to highly disagree even when considering theoretical physics.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by paralith
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazz
    Quote Originally Posted by paralith
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie
    however i think many scientists nowadays concentrate too much on abstract stuff and become out of touch with realityplace
    Do you have any concrete examples or sources to back up that claim? Some of us are practicing scientists and I for one highly disagree with that statement.
    I think wolfie was mostly directing his comment to Physics, and its tendency to swerve off on strange, abstract tangents. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with his point, I'm just trying to clarify it.
    I work in biology so I can't pretend to know much about physics, but I would hesitate to call a physicist's work abstract. They often deal with size or time scales which are difficult for a human to conceive of, but that most certainly does not mean they are somehow working with non-real phenomenon. I would still have to highly disagree even when considering theoretical physics.
    You may be right in saying that many people confuse complexity with abstraction. Again, I am not agreeing or disagreeing with this statement, I am simply trying to make sense of it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    Quote Originally Posted by the man of science
    Aside from being a nerd, I love video games, movies, and chilling with my friends.
    Isn't that like saying: Aside from being a nerd, I'm a nerd.

    It takes one to know one, right?

    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. I suspect one day the idea of reality will be such that what we now know as reality will be considered illusory. What then will we think of that wonderful quote? Will we continue to seek reality?

    135 posts in just over a week, not bad. Don't wear yourself out too fast.
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    439
    You indicate an IQ of 140, can you say which test gave you this? as the many different IQ tests score differently, on some tests 140 is a touch above noemal and on others it's bordering genius. Which organisation conducted the test?

    Was the test a written question type or pictorial?

    If you want to join Mensa and the test you took is recognised by them, send me a PM.

    On another matter,
    I generally agree with Paralith but there are isolated examples of 'mad scientists' e.g. Tesla(in later life) - the two idiots who announced to the world they had achieved cold fusion, and a certain Mr Hawking for one of his theories which the world of physics politely accepts for the time being...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by wert
    and a certain Mr Hawking for one of his theories which the world of physics politely accepts for the time being...
    Pardon my ignorance, but which theory would this be?...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    439
    I'll bet it's hawking radiation, so far all attempts to prove it have failed, (ie the search for these high energy particles). It conforms neither to an hypothesis (ie an explanation for an observed phenomina, as there is no observed phenomina) nor to a theory (which normally requires the input of test data). There is simply NO hard evidence and no tests, had anyone else devised this opinion it would have been laughed at. One is reminded of the story of the Emporer's clothes....

    I accept the right of others to believe in everything they are told.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    Be wary of the idea of proof; for you may not find it.
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    墨子 DaBOB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,674
    Be wary of the idea of proof; for you may not find it.

    P.S.
    What kind of knowledge gives you a good IQ anyways? Is an IQ test just like some uber-SAT or something. Does it test problem solving or knowledge. Could a language student achieve a high score? Or a history student?
    Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead... only realize the truth. There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself. -Spoon Boy
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    439
    http://www.mensa.org/workout2.php

    Dabob. have a go at that, and for some more info on IQ tests...


    http://www.mensa.org.uk/iq-levels/
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •