Notices
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Save water in the workplace?

  1. #1 Save water in the workplace? 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3
    On a regular basis, I see lot of my good friends in the workplace waste a lot of water. Starting from the coffee machine to wash room .. water is lost almost everywhere.

    For example, taps are open many of the time - if not open at least loosely closed, leaks, faulty flushes, drinking water is utilized for cleaning and washing and even they talk while the water is running...

    Please discuss some thoughts on how to deal in a helpful manner and without hurting anyone. Everyone knows that changing a person's habit is itself an difficult task.

    All tips are welcome. Thanks in advance.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    bio
    bio is offline
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    163
    stop drinking water


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    I think businesses, particular factories will get a lot more water conservation by training employees to identify and report leaks than asking them to turn off the faucet while they talk for example--even a few drops a minute adds up to vastly more water wasted.

    --
    Bio, this thread is in the hard science part of the forum...please try to make meaningful contributions...or failing that, a heck of a lot more clever jokes.
    Last edited by Lynx_Fox; January 31st, 2014 at 03:21 PM.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788



    Industry Standard Faucets

    Faucet shown here is in Chrome finish. Available in 22 finishes.

    This Sleek Design faucet is an exquisite work of art which combines Great Style with Hands free Functionality. It is ideal for bathroom applications where Touchless, Hands free faucets are an intricate component of the room’s overall design element. This unique faucet is also available with optional matching water mixing valve and matching soap dispenser. However, don’t let the good looks fool you. The model FA444-17 is a heavy duty faucet, that is designed for heavy traffic applications which features: Solid Brass Faucet Construction, Triple polish chrome plating process, Easy Clean out particle filter, Dual Water Source Ready.

    Your purchase will also include: Faucet, FA444 Automator, Stainless Steel Braided Hose, Mounting Hardware, 4 AA Batteries Pre-installed, 1 year warranty. 100% Q.C (every faucet undergoes 9 point inspection before leaving the factory). Please Note: Drain Sold Separately.

    Your purchase will also include: Faucet, FA444 Automator, Stainless Steel Braided Hose, Mounting Hardware, 4 AA Batteries Pre-installed, 1 year warranty. 100% Q.C (every faucet undergoes 9 point inspection before leaving the factory). Please Note: Drain Sold Separately.


    Just install this type of faucet and it will automatically stop when hands are removed from under it. If you but them in quantity you can get them even cheaper.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    6
    Turn off the tap when brushing teeth or shaving: a running tap wastes 10 litres per minute.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northumbria UK
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Woggroup View Post
    On a regular basis, I see lot of my good friends in the workplace waste a lot of water. Starting from the coffee machine to wash room .. water is lost almost everywhere.

    For example, taps are open many of the time - if not open at least loosely closed, leaks, faulty flushes, drinking water is utilized for cleaning and washing and even they talk while the water is running...

    Please discuss some thoughts on how to deal in a helpful manner and without hurting anyone. Everyone knows that changing a person's habit is itself an difficult task.

    All tips are welcome. Thanks in advance.
    The link below is from April 2012. ' How much does your water company leak?

    The water industry in England and Wales loses 3.36 billion litres of water a day in leaks.
    The water companies are investing in improvements to their network and leaks are now 35% lower than in the mid-1990s.
    However, if all the pipes could be fixed it would save enough water to supply 22.4 million people every day. "


    I absolutely agree with you, when you are finished turn the tap off, but the biggest loss of water in parts of the UK comes from leaking water mains.

    BBC News - How much does your water company leak?
    .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Does the automatic faucet above offer false savings, once the manufacturer of its batteries are included?
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wilson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woggroup View Post
    On a regular basis, I see lot of my good friends in the workplace waste a lot of water. Starting from the coffee machine to wash room .. water is lost almost everywhere.

    For example, taps are open many of the time - if not open at least loosely closed, leaks, faulty flushes, drinking water is utilized for cleaning and washing and even they talk while the water is running...

    Please discuss some thoughts on how to deal in a helpful manner and without hurting anyone. Everyone knows that changing a person's habit is itself an difficult task.

    All tips are welcome. Thanks in advance.
    The link below is from April 2012. ' How much does your water company leak?

    The water industry in England and Wales loses 3.36 billion litres of water a day in leaks.
    The water companies are investing in improvements to their network and leaks are now 35% lower than in the mid-1990s.
    However, if all the pipes could be fixed it would save enough water to supply 22.4 million people every day. "


    I absolutely agree with you, when you are finished turn the tap off, but the biggest loss of water in parts of the UK comes from leaking water mains.

    BBC News - How much does your water company leak?
    Does the UK even face water shortages? I thought it rained a lot there.

    I always laugh when I hear people in Oregon here in the USA talking about how to save water. It's not like we ever get to be short on it. It's not like if we save it, we can ship it down to California (where they do have shortages.)
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    I'm pretty sure it goes down the drain then back into the system, so it doesn't really get wasted, just costs the company money.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    I'm pretty sure it goes down the drain then back into the system, so it doesn't really get wasted, just costs the company money.
    And you and I and every tax payer money building the water collecting, delivery, purification, sewerage systems to manage all the water and waste...and the environmental impact of redirected water and establishing that infrastructure. It's a heck of a lot more to be concerned about than extra water bills even in the temperate rain forest.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northumbria UK
    Posts
    1,043
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wilson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woggroup View Post
    On a regular basis, I see lot of my good friends in the workplace waste a lot of water. Starting from the coffee machine to wash room .. water is lost almost everywhere.

    For example, taps are open many of the time - if not open at least loosely closed, leaks, faulty flushes, drinking water is utilized for cleaning and washing and even they talk while the water is running...

    Please discuss some thoughts on how to deal in a helpful manner and without hurting anyone. Everyone knows that changing a person's habit is itself an difficult task.

    All tips are welcome. Thanks in advance.
    The link below is from April 2012. ' How much does your water company leak?

    The water industry in England and Wales loses 3.36 billion litres of water a day in leaks.
    The water companies are investing in improvements to their network and leaks are now 35% lower than in the mid-1990s.
    However, if all the pipes could be fixed it would save enough water to supply 22.4 million people every day. "


    I absolutely agree with you, when you are finished turn the tap off, but the biggest loss of water in parts of the UK comes from leaking water mains.

    BBC News - How much does your water company leak?
    Does the UK even face water shortages? I thought it rained a lot there.

    I always laugh when I hear people in Oregon here in the USA talking about how to save water. It's not like we ever get to be short on it. It's not like if we save it, we can ship it down to California (where they do have shortages.)
    Yes, it rains quite a lot here in the UK. I live in the North West of England, I do not recall ever having a water shortage, other than the occasional hose pipe ban in the summer. This is from the Environment Agency. I was very surprised when I read the link below.

    " Although our country is often considered to have a wet climate, we are facing increasing pressure on our water supplies. The problem is particularly acute in the South East of England where large numbers of people living and working mean that water is scarcer than anywhere else in England and Wales. In fact, there is less water available per person in this region than in many Mediterranean countries. *

    http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Research/waterressesummary_2005304.pdf


    T
    he link is a few years old but the issues remain the same.
    Last edited by Dave Wilson; February 10th, 2014 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Clarity.
    .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    Does the automatic faucet above offer false savings, once the manufacturer of its batteries are included?
    I do not understand the question. You buy regular batteries when the ones that come with it die.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    Does the automatic faucet above offer false savings, once the manufacturer of its batteries are included?
    I do not understand the question. You buy regular batteries when the ones that come with it die.
    It requires water to refine/process materials and manufacture most things including batteries and there's a further environmental impact from battery disposal. An automatic faucet uses batteries thus the battery's impact should be included in its environmental impact--it also might not save as much as we think considering it's slower to turn off the water than people who are careful about water conservation.

    Thier chief benefit is not having to share and touch yet another moist and bacteria covered surface with others right after they've gone to the bathroom.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Time Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,035
    Right, but battery manufacture sites can be located in places where water is abundant. Faucet water has to come from nearby to the faucet.

    There are some places in Canada where you could put a battery manufacturing plant and it wouldn't hardly impact anyone's fresh water supply, because there's abundant fresh water all around you and hardly anybody lives there.
    Some clocks are only right twice a day, but they are still right when they are right.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by kojax View Post
    Right, but battery manufacture sites can be located in places where water is abundant. Faucet water has to come from nearby to the faucet.
    It does not matter. If it's relatively little water needed by a factory than it probably connected to the water grid and costing everyone (already covered).

    If a lot of water is required, than it's probably drawing off a river or other source, and likely having a significant environmental impact by water being diverted from riparian habitats, spawning grounds or underground reservoirs and all too often being returned downstream loaded with pollutants. Given battery manufacturing has in large part shifted overseas to developing nations with lower pay and either lack of environmental regulations (or governments incapable of enforcing them) it is pollution by proxy. The main point is there is NO FREE RIDE, and everything should be considered with all impacts throughout the lifecycle of every product before we conclude that something is better or worse for the environment.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    Does the automatic faucet above offer false savings, once the manufacturer of its batteries are included?
    I do not understand the question. You buy regular batteries when the ones that come with it die.
    It requires water to refine/process materials and manufacture most things including batteries and there's a further environmental impact from battery disposal. An automatic faucet uses batteries thus the battery's impact should be included in its environmental impact--it also might not save as much as we think considering it's slower to turn off the water than people who are careful about water conservation.

    Thier chief benefit is not having to share and touch yet another moist and bacteria covered surface with others right after they've gone to the bathroom.

    Battery recycling by type[edit]

    Most types of batteries can be recycled. However, some batteries are recycled more readily than others, such as lead-acid automotive batteries (nearly 90% are recycled) and button cells (because of the value and toxicity of their chemicals). Other types, such as alkaline and rechargeable, e.g. nickel–cadmium (Ni-Cd), nickel metal hydride (Ni-MH), lithium-ion (Li-ion) and nickel–zinc (Ni-Zn),can also be recycled.

    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...KWlDHoMGX7woAA
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Recycling isn't a free ride either, often a marketing tool or excuse for overconsumption. Most small batteries are not recycled. Here's a detailed study that compared different recycling scenarios, recycling often has greater impact than simply tossing them into landfills, and of course, has far greater impact than not using them for unnecessary things. (see pages 4 and 5 of battery life cycle report)
    http://www.epbaeurope.net/documents/...inelca2011.pdf

    Again my point is not that it is always bad or good....but EVERYTHING we use, regardless of how much is recycled has a significant environmental cost to someone somewhere and to the natural environment. (all too often for Americans who are willfully ignorant or don't give a crap about things not in their backyard).
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Ph.D. stander-j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    856
    Instead using coffee machines that use a carafe, maybe workplaces can invest in coffee machines that make single cups. Not only would this cut down on waste, but the paltry investment might even increase employee morale by making work a more pleasant place to be: Every cup is fresh, and machines often have settings and functions that offer a variety of blends - including non-coffee beverages such as hot chocolate.
    "Cultivated leisure is the aim of man."
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. How can you save?
    By mickle_john in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 21st, 2011, 04:58 AM
  2. Question for people of the scientific workplace
    By Raymond K in forum Education
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 30th, 2008, 02:26 AM
  3. Privacy and the use of information systems in the workplace
    By Highball in forum Behavior and Psychology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 22nd, 2008, 08:51 AM
  4. Save The Planet
    By Jim Colyer in forum Environmental Issues
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: December 29th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •