Notices
Results 1 to 4 of 4
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By skeptic

Thread: Food Utensiles and the need for Chemical free Glasses, Cups, and Plates.

  1. #1 Food Utensiles and the need for Chemical free Glasses, Cups, and Plates. 
    The Enchanter westwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,079
    You have a Dishwasher. Lucky you. Or, are you really lucky. That would depend on your rinsing cycle. Rinsed sparkling clean? Good for you. Would you like someone to run a Chemical Analysis on residue that may be still adhering to your utensils? And what about washing up water in the sink? Soapy suds kind of thing? Shall we do a Chemical Analysis here? Remember, we have contact with all these things 24/7 all our lives.

    I'm wary of what I use to get my food and drink down my neck. I've seen what constant minute contact with residual chemicals over a long peroid can do to a living and otherwise breathing person. It's not just Air Pollution. How far away are we from the time when the need to utilise chemicals came into our lives? Not bloody long. More research is needed on the simple applications of our present way of life.

    And watch out for new IT Gadgets. Do you want Glaucoma when you are 63? Value your well being above all, if you have good health now, don't set yourself up for Diabeties by the time you are 40. And rinse those drinking glasses, and watch the chemical pollution from Alchoholic Beverages, I didn't, and lost half my brain power. Good luck. westwind.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,843
    Westwind.

    With the greatest of respect, there is a disturbing element of paranoia in your post.

    The effect of chemicals on our bodies is studied in the science of toxicology. The first rule of toxicology is : "The dose makes the poison."
    This means two things.
    1. Everything is poisonous if you take enough into your body. Even water.
    2. Everything is harmless if the amount you take into your body is small enough.

    Residues from dishwashers fall clearly into that second category. They are totally, utterly, completely harmless, because there just is not enough left to be a problem.

    The things you take into your body that cause harm are all things you take in in significant amounts. Look at the list.
    Tobacco products.
    Smoke of all kinds.
    Alcohol.
    Recreational drugs.
    Saturated fat.
    Salt.
    Sugar.
    Refined starch.

    Chemical pollution from alcoholic beverages? If you mean alcohol, I agree, which most of us ingest in substantial amounts. If you mean additives in alcoholic beverages, then you are way off the beam.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    The Enchanter westwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,079
    Hi skeptic. You have been avoiding me. Or so it seems. We have a lot of new members so I thought I would revive one of my old threads. I think, from memory, you thought i was being alarmist. It is a good thing to cry wolf some times. You are, in the main, correct when you say that the amount of chemical intake that the average person ingests on a daily basis is not sufficient to cause harm, or so it appears. There is someone out there skeptic who is ingesting a dangerous amount of chemical of one form or another. My net has been thrown wide in an attempt to alert them to that possibility. Remember the American boy who was drinking a large bottle of cocacola a day over several months.? To be honest I've forgotten what it was that caused a medical crisis with him, but he was in trouble. Why, my own Grandaughter, when a baby on a bottle, was being given apple juice by the kindest and well meaning new Mother that you could wish for, somebody alerted her to the fact that their was an acid sugar problem, my grandaughter would have dental problems if this wasn't stopped.

    I am paragraphing here skeptic, for all those Members who love paragraphs. And remember the old Housepainters? They mixed their own paints in the old days. With powdered lead. They died of course. Old Bill White, my next door neighbour in Mildura, on the Murray River, he often mixed paint in my presence, lovely man. Died early. Lead Poisioning. Your hair falls out and you lose your appetite. And I am sure there are people out there who persist in swallowing something that tastes very unpleasant, but because it was bought from a Supermarket it must be alright. Even though their taste buds have correctly identified an undesirable substance they swallow it anyway. Poisoined. Food posion, or worse, some manufacturing employee has tipped some caustic substance in the mix by mistake. You can't be too careful what you shove down your cakehole. Be suspicious. Have you ever eaten three or four corncobs, kernals I mean? In one session? what happens the next time you feel the call of Nature.? yes, tumeric is yellow, or orange. So there you are, what you ingest can have a re-action. Or worse. Rinse that Bourbon Glass skeptic, and do not leave it so long before you hop onto one of my future Postes. westwind.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,843
    Westwind

    With that post I am not sure what you are telling me that is serious and what is kinda done for a laugh.

    Basically, anything ingested in micrograms per day is probably not going to do you much, if any harm. What you ingest in great amounts may kill you. Lead, sure, is toxic. If you mix your own paints with lead additives, and you do not exercise suitable precautions, you may ingest enough to be a problem.

    Coca cola? I never touch the stuff, but small amounts are not going to hurt you. Lots and lots? Yes, I would not recommend that. Apple juice? In reasonable amounts, no problem. In vast amounts, it could create a significant dental problem since it is heavily laden in sugar.

    Most supermarket produce is not going to do you much harm. If it does, it will be fat, starch, sugar or salt ingested in too much quantity. Not the food additives. The bulk stuff is much, much worse.

    Anyway, you told me you are 78. You can't have done too much wrong, or you would be pushing up the daisies. If you are still active on this forum in 10 years time, which you could be, that is doubly true. More than 20 years, and we can have a double funeral.
    westwind likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Please assist and feel free to debate: Nanotechnology and Food
    By satterday in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2012, 05:59 PM
  2. Japan and the tectonic plates
    By PumaMan in forum Earth Sciences
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 20th, 2011, 04:06 PM
  3. food webs and food chain
    By crackstein in forum Biology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 9th, 2010, 03:16 PM
  4. glasses
    By Heinsbergrelatz in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 5th, 2009, 07:00 AM
  5. Ball in parallel plates
    By DivideByZero in forum Physics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 28th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •