Notices
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: getting out and handling the microwave oven transformer

  1. #1 getting out and handling the microwave oven transformer 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10
    hey i just found out about microwave oven transformers (mot) which i know that is a dangerous component which is found in all microwave ovens and i want to know some precautions of how to get it out and how i should handle it. i saw lots of video on youtube that was fascinating but before i try this or think about this i want to know any precautions

    so... first thing i want to know is how do you discharge it or make the mot safe to handle? i don't want to risk losing my life.

    second thing is how do i know which wire is which so i can connect it to the mains and direct it to an object to make a fascinating electric arc

    third... if my mains socket is 230v and the oven supports 110v will it be dangerous to plug it in to the mains socket?

    thanks...


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Guest
    The questions you pose suggest that you have no knowledge of electronics or 'safety in the workshop' this being so I'd recommend you attempt something a little less dangerous.

    You are talking about the type of voltages that certain US states use to execute criminals, please, please, DO NOT FRY THIS AT HOME!

    OR take a nightschool course in electrics/electronics.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Yea, PLEASE learn about it before you dive in the deep end. PLEASE. You'll kill yourself unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    10
    well what i see on youtube is bunch of people trying to experiment with the mot and why so many people are doing these kind of things even if it dangerous?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Guest
    The more you know the higher the statistical probability that an experiment will yield some results. For example take sulphur and water, mix them together and what do you get? sulphuric acid, well actually NO although sulphuric acid contains and sulphur, mixing them does not produce the acid, in the same way mixing ingredients does not produce a finished cake, chemical reactions are required.

    THis might just lead you to the conclusion that these guys know what they are doing or have learnt a particular skill or part of a skill. You don't have to know how to make gunpowder to set off a firework (unless you are making your own).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    66
    The High Tension is an oven might be 3000-4000 Volts at 200 - 300 mA.. Very dangerous.

    The power supply will contain capacitors which may remain charged for some time after the microwave has been switched off.

    DONT RISK IT.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •