Notices
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help with Science Riddle

  1. #1 Help with Science Riddle 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    3
    Combining Andre's current, once realised
    To Allessandros's potential, once energised
    Will, on the right day, render you a prize
    If young Georg's current rule is then applied


    Should be a 4 digit number?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,973
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    Combining Andre's current, once realised
    To Allessandros's potential, once energised
    Will, on the right day, render you a prize
    If young Georg's current rule is then applied


    Should be a 4 digit number?
    These are partial first names of Ampere, Volta and Ohm respectively, but the only current rule I know is Kirchhoff's and he was a Gustav.

    But then I was never much good at crossword clues. Is it just a roundabout statement of V/i =R? Surely not.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    Combining Andre's current, once realised
    To Allessandros's potential, once energised
    Will, on the right day, render you a prize
    If young Georg's current rule is then applied


    Should be a 4 digit number?
    These are partial first names of Ampere, Volta and Ohm respectively, but the only current rule I know is Kirchhoff's and he was a Gustav.

    But then I was never much good at crossword clues. Is it just a roundabout statement of V/i =R? Surely not.

    That's what I thought, I can't get my head around it
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Moderator Moderator Janus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,129
    My guess would be Watt.
    IE = P
    Ohm's law
    IR = E

    which means
    I^2R = P
    or
    V^2/R =P
    "Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feelings for the strength of their argument.
    The heated mind resents the chill touch & relentless scrutiny of logic"-W.E. Gladstone


    Edit/Delete Message
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,938
    I thought that too, but the OP says the answer is a 4 digit number not a word...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    My guess would be Watt.
    IE = P
    Ohm's law
    IR = E

    which means
    I^2R = P
    or
    V^2/R =P
    Ah yes I think that must be it - and re PhDemon's comment, someone has confusingly said "digits" when they mean "characters".
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for your help, but it's definitely a 4 digit number to unlock a safe.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,881
    that being so, we are missing other data it seems....
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Riddle me this...
    By Potty in forum Physics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 12th, 2017, 11:09 AM
  2. A little riddle
    By termina in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 8th, 2011, 03:34 PM
  3. It's a riddle!
    By Kilomanjaro in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: July 16th, 2010, 10:05 PM
  4. A Riddle
    By Quantime in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 1st, 2007, 06:57 PM
  5. Another riddle for the BB
    By Mike NS in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: August 4th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •