Notices
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Crap my TV died

  1. #1 Crap my TV died 
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    Well it finally happen, the bulb for my Mitsubishi HC2 projector blew out (up). Made a nice little popping sound, well kind of loud. Just ordered a new one for $270. I could buy another TV for the price of the bulb, of course it wouldn't be 84 inch.

    Ohh well, just sharing my misery.

    Now I'll have to use a 27 inch for a few days while I wait for the bulb. Ohh the pain...


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Masters Degree invert_nexus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    638
    Heh. My brother has a hi-def projection tv. The first bulb went out after only 300 some hours if I remember right and a replacement cost him some 300 dollars or more. Since then, he's switched to only using the big-screen for DVD's and some certain television shows.

    I think the bulbs are supposed to be good for 1500 hours or something. He just had bad luck with his first bulb.

    The thing is that they could easily design these bulbs to last forever (barring some form of accidental breaking of the glass) but instead purposefully place a flaw in each bulb so that it slowly draws in air over time which leads to its eventual failure. Or so an old teacher of mine used to say.

    Nothing lasts forever... purposely.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by invert_nexus
    Heh. My brother has a hi-def projection tv. The first bulb went out after only 300 some hours if I remember right and a replacement cost him some 300 dollars or more. Since then, he's switched to only using the big-screen for DVD's and some certain television shows.

    I think the bulbs are supposed to be good for 1500 hours or something. He just had bad luck with his first bulb.

    The thing is that they could easily design these bulbs to last forever (barring some form of accidental breaking of the glass) but instead purposefully place a flaw in each bulb so that it slowly draws in air over time which leads to its eventual failure. Or so an old teacher of mine used to say.

    Nothing lasts forever... purposely.
    Yah, this one was suppose to last 2000-2500 hours. It has a warning that comes on at 2000 hours. Well guess what that warning never came on. It's been about 11 months. My projector actually looks damn good with an HDTV feed in. It's not as high of res as many on the market, but for the price I paid I can't complain one little bit. It still has far higher resolution then any DVD I can purchase. HDTV does look better then DVD's, well if you want to watch PBS all day long, the network feeds still suck when it comes to HDTV. Not worth it at the moment. I'll enjoy this more when the next generation of DVD's come out with 1080i or 720p.

    Edit: It's funny, my wife wanted me to run out in the morning and buy a new bulb. The retail price can go as high as $450. I'll wait for UPS to deliver one at $270.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The tip of your tongue
    Posts
    94
    I have a 15 inch TV that has maintained its perfect order for nearly 20 years.

    Bulbs and shit.

    Thats truly depressing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Masters Degree invert_nexus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    638
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect
    I have a 15 inch TV that has maintained its perfect order for nearly 20 years.
    Ha!
    I scoff at your puny 15 inch.
    My brother's tv is about 8 feet wide!
    And crystal clear (on the hi-def channels anyway.)

    Now here's your opportunity to say my peeny is so small (rather my brother's peeny. His tv.) and your's is so BIG.

    Anyway, eventually you're going to be forced to upgrade that decrepit old machine. Either that or be forced to used a set-top box to translate the hi-def digital signal into something your poor old tv can handle. Then again, you probably already use one for regular cable, don't you? But then again... how many channels do they have in Finland? 2? 3? The Reindeer Channel. The Yogurt Channel. What else do you need?

    But, the standards are changing. Soon all stations will be digital and eventually they will all be hi-def. This is not to say that you need a projection tv with an 8 foot wide screen, but you will need something. A new 15 inch hi-def tv, perchance.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    15 inch vs my 84. Now if I drove a big truck (which I don't) one could jump to conclusions. It use to be sports cars, now it's big trucks. My wife drives a truck and she's 6'1". Hmm, wonder what that means.

    I'll keep my gay little VW that handles like a dream at any speed.

    No, but seriously on the TV's. Yes everyone will need to upgrade to something that supports an HDTV 1080i and/or 720p signal. My Mitsubishi supports all the current standards including PAL and SECAM. I would not mind some PAL DVD's as they are higher res then NTSC's 520p.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The tip of your tongue
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by invert_nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect
    I have a 15 inch TV that has maintained its perfect order for nearly 20 years.
    Ha!
    I scoff at your puny 15 inch.
    My brother's tv is about 8 feet wide!
    And crystal clear (on the hi-def channels anyway.)

    Now here's your opportunity to say my peeny is so small (rather my brother's peeny. His tv.) and your's is so BIG.

    Anyway, eventually you're going to be forced to upgrade that decrepit old machine. Either that or be forced to used a set-top box to translate the hi-def digital signal into something your poor old tv can handle. Then again, you probably already use one for regular cable, don't you? But then again... how many channels do they have in Finland? 2? 3? The Reindeer Channel. The Yogurt Channel. What else do you need?

    But, the standards are changing. Soon all stations will be digital and eventually they will all be hi-def. This is not to say that you need a projection tv with an 8 foot wide screen, but you will need something. A new 15 inch hi-def tv, perchance.
    Oh.. you bastard, that stings.

    But you're right, the digital boom is blossoming here as well.
    I made a decision to start advocating internet channels when the analogical transmissions siege. Or to abandon the box all together.

    The television companies are going to be thrilled tonight when sweden beats us in hockey.. stay out of the streets at 9pm, it will rain TV sets.

    And we have 2 document, 'multilanguage' channels and 2 for 'action'.
    There is cable for foreign ones.

    Though, I love this one channel that airs oldies like the A-team, Monty Python and PulttiBoys (two finnish 80's guys who seem to be on experimental drugs every fucking episode) episodes.

    But I have to stop now cuz' my penis is so huge.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman Awake's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Virginia, US
    Posts
    25
    I am so poor I can't afford cable and we don't get any channels where we live without the cable. Therefore I don't watch t.v. anymore. I find it refreshing. I finally take time to read the million book library I've collected over the years.

    (P.S. My son is less than thrilled about it though)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman grazzhoppa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    23
    It's interesting to see how much people will pay to watch commercials and stereotypes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by grazzhoppa
    It's interesting to see how much people will pay to watch commercials and stereotypes.
    It's the American dream to have a MASSIVE TV and 500 channels of crap to choose from.

    What's wrong with that

    Actually I use the big TV for DVD mainly...well that's why I bought it. The PS2 looks pretty cool on it however.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman Xerxes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    30
    Feel blessed. You don't need to deal with commercials anymore. And most of the programming is garbage anyways.
    where oh where is sciforums?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Masters Degree invert_nexus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    638
    I rarely watch tv myself, these days. But, there are worthwhile programs to watch. The documentary channels, discovery, the learning channel, the history channel, the science channel, etc, etc, etc, are growing more and more numerous each year. PBS also has decent programming. And, several hi-definition channels are almost purely devoted to such programming as they show IMAX movies which at least attempt to be educational even though they are more of a thrill ride than anything else.

    Don't blame the tv because you can't turn off Jerry Springer.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Sophomore cleft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    137
    Happily the broadcast flag that was mandated by the FCC has been ruled that they overstepped their authority in demanding that all future recievers be required to contain compatible equipment to recieve and respond to it. Pressure was applied to the FCC by those under them to include the broadcast flag as a condition and standard for digital broadcast and in effect would have destroyed the fair use laws that allow you to copy to vcr or the like your favorite programming on tv by blocking that ability to record whatever a programming source decided not to allow you to.

    This is a large step forward in breaking the protectionism that established mega-media corporatons tried to set in place. One can only hope this sort of attitude is extended into other areas of concern to the public where the same sort of turf protection is going on.
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."
    - H. G. Wells (1866-1946)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by cleft
    Happily the broadcast flag that was mandated by the FCC has been ruled that they overstepped their authority in demanding that all future recievers be required to contain compatible equipment to recieve and respond to it. Pressure was applied to the FCC by those under them to include the broadcast flag as a condition and standard for digital broadcast and in effect would have destroyed the fair use laws that allow you to copy to vcr or the like your favorite programming on tv by blocking that ability to record whatever a programming source decided not to allow you to.

    This is a large step forward in breaking the protectionism that established mega-media corporatons tried to set in place. One can only hope this sort of attitude is extended into other areas of concern to the public where the same sort of turf protection is going on.
    So this translates into ?

    I know they were trying to remove analog by 2006.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The tip of your tongue
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by (In)Sanity
    I know they were trying to remove analog by 2006.

    Trying to.

    They had the goal of having analogical transmissions over by the year 04, in here.
    They failed.


    I want a menu for programs, like in DVD's etc.

    Television is a great medium, but commercialism and trends ruin it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by (In)Sanity
    I know they were trying to remove analog by 2006.

    Trying to.

    They had the goal of having analogical transmissions over by the year 04, in here.
    They failed.


    I want a menu for programs, like in DVD's etc.

    Television is a great medium, but commercialism and trends ruin it.
    I've been using a DBS system for years, Satellite.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Sophomore cleft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    137
    One nice thing has happened for the consumer as far as the digital broadcasting medium goes. The broadcast flag was ruled on and the US Appeals Court through out the FCC's power grab for instituting the broadcast flag as an overreach of its authority.

    The idea of the broadcast flag was the the maker or the broadcaster could deny anyone recieving the signal of the program from being able to copy, tape, or time shift the programing without express permission of the source. That every tv, every recorder would have to see, recognise, and obey the denial by a signal embedded in the broadcast should the source not wish to permit the copying of that program.

    Thank heavens someone in our courts has a bit of common sense when it comes to this sort of thing.

    http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan...=apn_home_down[/url]
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."
    - H. G. Wells (1866-1946)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    Well I got my new bulb in for my projector, picture is back to it's nice bright self. Had to use a 27 inch for a few days, we thought we were going to go blind
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Freshman Xerxes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    30
    Invert Nexus,

    You can get the worthwile shows off the net (with a highspeed connection of course). Sans commercials. Even so, I've noticed a decline in many of the areas you mention (except maybe history and PBS which has improved). TLC used to be great. Now its the house remodelling and makeover channel. Discovery is the motorcycle channel.

    Most programming is designed to turn your brain off because thats what the majority wants..
    where oh where is sciforums?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •