Notices
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Cordless phone near microwave

  1. #1 Cordless phone near microwave 
    EdP
    EdP is offline
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2
    I recently purchased a VTech cordless 2.4GHz phone that has a base unit as well as an extension handset. The User Guide suggests to place units away from electronic equipment such as microwave ovens, but they don't say why. I want to keep the extension near a microwave oven.

    If the only problem is bad reception, I don't see it as a problem. But if there's a chance that something in the phone might be damaged somehow, then I will move it to a less desirable but safer place.

    So, what's the effect of a microwave oven on a cordless phone?

    Thanks
    EdP


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 The answer 
    Forum Sophomore NimaRahnemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    156
    How many gigahertz is your phone? The microwave is 2 gigahertz, if your phone is also 2 gigahertz, then you will get some static and your phone will squeak when you get close to the microwave while it's working. It won't damage the phone, just it might damage ur hearing. If your microwave is broken then u will hear super squeaks on your phone. If you do hear super squeaks, you have to get a new microwave. If your phone is 1 gigahertz, it still will squeak, but not as much.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    EdP
    EdP is offline
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2
    Thanks, Nima ...

    As I noted in my original post, my phone is 2.4GHz.

    If the only problem is interference, then for me, there's no problem - I'll just turn off the microwave when I get a call or I won't answer the phone ... depending.

    EdP
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    I actually have a Panasonic microwave here that says on the back that it operates at 2400 MHz (2.4 GHz). It's why I purchased a 5.8 GHz phone My wireless doesn't appear to be too badly affected by this, I think the microwave must stay on freq pretty good. I notice if it's run for a long time and starts to get really hot that the wireless can be knocked out.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Sophomore NimaRahnemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sunnyvale, California
    Posts
    156
    Whoa, 5.8 GHz, that's awesome. I thought the most a phone goes is 3.6 GHz. Where did you buy yours from?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Nima Rahnemoon
    Whoa, 5.8 GHz, that's awesome. I thought the most a phone goes is 3.6 GHz. Where did you buy yours from?
    Here is the phone I have.

    Here

    or here

    I like it. It uses normal AA NiMH batteries and even has a charger built in to charge two more and also power the base unit. So if the power goes out or the batteries die I'm not without the phone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 cordless fones and microwaves 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Arizona, 3rd orbiting sphere
    Posts
    3
    2.4 gig phones can be damaged near a microwave. the RF front end amplifiers in the handset and base receivers are VERY sensitive to milivolt
    signals. A leaking microware can emit signal near them in the several volt
    range. This causes the MOS device used in the receiver amps to become saturated, at which point, failure usually comes from over current heating
    and the junction fails from current and heat, or the received voltage can actually punch through the dialectric materials used in the semiconductor
    junction, also causeing a full device failure.

    USUALLY....if your microwave leaks this much, it doesn't matter, you'll be glowing and mutating already, and not be contemplating making phone calls
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    159
    A Sony 2.4ghz Multihandset cordless phone. When one of the handsets was in use, it totally smashed my WLAN. No connection is possible what so ever...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    159
    microwaves react or obstruct the electromagnetic waves as microwaves r of high frequencies and hive very high power, so keep the base unit 10 feet away from microwave.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10 Re: cordless fones and microwaves 
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon
    2.4 gig phones can be damaged near a microwave. the RF front end amplifiers in the handset and base receivers are VERY sensitive to milivolt
    signals. A leaking microware can emit signal near them in the several volt
    range. This causes the MOS device used in the receiver amps to become saturated, at which point, failure usually comes from over current heating
    and the junction fails from current and heat, or the received voltage can actually punch through the dialectric materials used in the semiconductor
    junction, also causeing a full device failure.

    USUALLY....if your microwave leaks this much, it doesn't matter, you'll be glowing and mutating already, and not be contemplating making phone calls
    Well done Dragon, that's pretty much spot on - although microwaves can and do 'leak', their maximum permitted value is less than that radiated by a phone, however it may well be enough to destroy the 'front end' if placed close enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by weknowtheword
    microwaves react or obstruct the electromagnetic waves as microwaves r of high frequencies and hive very high power, so keep the base unit 10 feet away from microwave.
    I'm not sure what sort of coffee you drink, but I'd seriously consider a brand change if it ends up with post's like that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1
    I have a uniden cordless phone that is 2.4GHz...it is currently constantly low battery if you talk for about an hour on it!

    In the current sharehouse I reside in the charging unit is about half a metre from the microwave and the powerpoint that the charger is BEHIND the microwave....is it possible that the phone is permanently damaged? or is the unit unable to charge properly with the microwave so close...?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    159
    Interesting post. Would this explain the whines i get when i use my mobile phone next to my computer?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •