Notices
Results 1 to 53 of 53
Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By adelady
  • 5 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By siledre
  • 1 Post By John Galt

Thread: English/writing class in highschool

  1. #1 English/writing class in highschool 
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    why is it mandatory? I am not lieing when i say i learn nothing in english class. this year i learnt a few grammar things, but last year i learnt nothing (last year grade 9) all that english class is, is reading stories, and answering questions for them. its like a fake history class.

    history - read stories about stuff that really happened, learn why the stuff happened, etc

    english - read and learn about fictional stories.



    and we dont even learn writing techniques. sometimes we have to write something, the teacher gets us to write it, some people do bad, teacher gives bad mark, but doesnt teach us how to write better. no actual writing tips, just some grammar, and thats all we get taught.


    so why is english class even in highschool? i understand that it should be in grade school, so people learn how to spell and that stuff, but in highschool you dont need it.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    You appear to be an excellent example of why those lessons are needed.


    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    Every time you write something you are practising writing.
    Every time you read something you're practising reading comprehension.

    And every time you come across a new word or fact or idea in history or literature you're expanding your vocabulary and your general knowledge.

    And writing, reading comprehension, a good vocabulary and a wide general knowledge are things that you use all day every day in your life. Whether it's writing reports for study or for work or taking an interest in a particular topic or just hearing the news - you'll understand more stuff more quickly and you'll convey your opinions/ findings/ results more accurately or more eloquently.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    Every time you write something you are practising writing.
    Every time you read something you're practising reading comprehension.
    well practice will do nothing if you dont know how to write.

    just like you wont get any better at playing hockey if you hold the stick the wrong way.


    and dont we read and write enough on our own? why do we need a class, just to read and write? I learnt more of grammar from just looking around the internet.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    You appear to be an excellent example of why those lessons are needed.
    no i do not need these lessons. i choose to write without capitals. i am sorry if this upsets you, but im not sure what you want me to do about it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Bachelors Degree GoldenRatio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    You appear to be an excellent example of why those lessons are needed.
    This. This so f***ing much.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    no i do not need these lessons. i choose to write without capitals. i am sorry if this upsets you, but im not sure what you want me to do about it.
    Well....duh....it's pretty obvious what they want done: start making your sentences clearer by using conventional grammar notation.

    --
    There'a a slow shift in the US away from literature to technical writing which I'm in total agreement with. Getting children to write write and write some more about things they are INTERESTED in should be a first commandment for teaching writing.
    Last edited by Lynx_Fox; January 18th, 2014 at 08:23 AM.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    no i do not need these lessons. i choose to write without capitals. i am sorry if this upsets you, but im not sure what you want me to do about it.
    So essentially you're saying you don't give a f*ck about your audience. YOU can't be bothered to write clearly and it's their problem, not yours.
    Ignore list...
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    i choose to write without capitals. i am sorry if this upsets you, but im not sure what you want me to do about it.
    Start acting (and writing) like an adult?

    It does seem that there are a lot of people who think that school should only teach the things they are interested in. What about people who do want to learn more about language? And who knows what you might be interested in or want to do in future, when that basic all round education might become valuable.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    i choose to write without capitals. i am sorry if this upsets you, but im not sure what you want me to do about it.
    Start acting (and writing) like an adult?

    It does seem that there are a lot of people who think that school should only teach the things they are interested in. What about people who do want to learn more about language? And who knows what you might be interested in or want to do in future, when that basic all round education might become valuable.
    then why is english mandatory? construction class is a choice. people that want to be a carpenter go in construction class.


    why isnt english this way? science is different, cause in science you learn stuff. english isnt really a class, its just a competition. It's like in acting, you dont rehearse, you just act in all the plays.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    no i do not need these lessons. i choose to write without capitals. i am sorry if this upsets you, but im not sure what you want me to do about it.
    So essentially you're saying you don't give a f*ck about your audience. YOU can't be bothered to write clearly and it's their problem, not yours.
    Ignore list...
    i dont give a f*ck about people who cry about no capitals. I'm sorry, but I have my own life, and I choose to spend more time on it doing more important stuff than making my writing as good as a top selling book.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Then why is English mandatory?
    Certain subjects are considered sufficiently fundamental that everyone should have a grounding in them. For example: your native language, history, mathematics, one or more foreign languages, philosophy, etc.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    and it is your problem if you cant understand what i say if i dont use capitals. the only puncuation (if you cant understand my misspelt word, you cant be human) i should use is periods and commas.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    i dont give a f*ck about people
    This makes you appear to be an arrogant and immature little shit. But if that is the impression you want to give, then knock yourself out. I'm sure it will really help with your future employment prospects.
    PhDemon likes this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Then why is English mandatory?
    Certain subjects are considered sufficiently fundamental that everyone should have a grounding in them. For example: your native language, history, mathematics, one or more foreign languages, philosophy, etc.
    but the way these classes are taught, we learnt as much as we will ever learn by the time we get into grade 8 or 7. understanding why john didnt tell lucy that he liked her is not learnt in a class. its learnt by doing stuff. you cant just learn common sense stuff like that in a class.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    i dont give a f*ck about people
    This makes you appear to be an arrogant and immature little shit. But if that is the impression you want to give, then knock yourself out. I'm sure it will really help with your future employment prospects.
    this is a forum. not a resume. no, i shouldnt really care if someone will cry if i miss a capital in one of my words. why should i? this is chat. people can understand me without capitals. thats all that matters while talking to people.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,502
    thats all that matters while talking to people.
    Good manners, mutual respect, making an effort ... these things count for nothing?

    There is clearly no point wasting any more time on you.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    i dont give a f*ck about people
    This makes you appear to be an arrogant and immature little shit. But if that is the impression you want to give, then knock yourself out. I'm sure it will really help with your future employment prospects.
    this is a forum. not a resume. no, i shouldnt really care if someone will cry if i miss a capital in one of my words. why should i? this is chat. people can understand me without capitals. thats all that matters while talking to people.
    1. This isn't chat. It's discussion.
    2. This isn't talking, where a speaker takes rhetorical shortcuts, but listeners pick up all sorts of other cues (e.g. reading your face, watching your body movements and where your eyes go etc). This is writing. While it is ok to diverge from conventions occasionally, it is usually done as a form of communication in itself, such as a text feature, or to supplement someone listening (e.g. bullets during a speech). All you communicate by getting your hackles up at the suggestion that you should use capitalization, is you don't really care about how effective you are communicating, or perhaps enjoy looking ignorant.

    All of which makes myself and others why you are here.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Bachelors Degree GoldenRatio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    You appear to be an excellent example of why those lessons are needed.
    no i do not need these lessons. i choose to write without capitals. i am sorry if this upsets you, but im not sure what you want me to do about it.
    I fully condone and support your decision to not use your native tongue in a correct manner. You can be a great man without it, look at Einstein he had trouble tying his own shoes for years.

    However, should you choose to to continue down such a path. Do not expect to be taken very seriously later in life regardless of how excellent your brain is in other areas. College, jobs, peer reviewed published papers. They will ALL expect a level of spelling & grammar appropriate of someone of your education level. Meaning if highschool is as far as you go, being able to write like a high-school graduate will be expected of you.

    Thus, if you wish to succeed in life. Learn the English language properly. I sure as hell wont take anything you say seriously till you do and I doubt anyone else will. Untill then. I'm out.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    i dont give a f*ck about people
    This makes you appear to be an arrogant and immature little shit. But if that is the impression you want to give, then knock yourself out. I'm sure it will really help with your future employment prospects.
    this is a forum. not a resume. no, i shouldnt really care if someone will cry if i miss a capital in one of my words. why should i? this is chat. people can understand me without capitals. thats all that matters while talking to people.
    Believe it or not standard English is used in order to communicate more efficiently. I do sympathise with your view on education as in my experience my school did not teach us much about language itself, I do not recall a lesson on linguistics; and grammar in the UK is not taught as heavily as it used to be, which is probably why so many people have issues today (i've struggled quite a bit with grammar as I learned very little at school).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Bachelors Degree GoldenRatio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    415
    I come across many people whom cannot use the english language effectivly. I accept 2 excuses. Its not there native tounge (second most common) or they have a mental condition (least common) only other excuse is pure laziness, this is not an acceptable excuse. It is however the most common reason.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    10,659
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRatio View Post
    I come across many people whom cannot use the english language effectivly. I accept 2 excuses. Its not there native tounge (second most common) or they have a mental condition (least common) only other excuse is pure laziness, this is not an acceptable excuse. It is however the most common reason.
    And your excuse here would be which of those 3?
    GoldenRatio likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRatio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    You appear to be an excellent example of why those lessons are needed.
    no i do not need these lessons. i choose to write without capitals. i am sorry if this upsets you, but im not sure what you want me to do about it.
    I fully condone and support your decision to not use your native tongue in a correct manner. You can be a great man without it, look at Einstein he had trouble tying his own shoes for years.

    However, should you choose to to continue down such a path. Do not expect to be taken very seriously later in life regardless of how excellent your brain is in other areas. College, jobs, peer reviewed published papers. They will ALL expect a level of spelling & grammar appropriate of someone of your education level. Meaning if highschool is as far as you go, being able to write like a high-school graduate will be expected of you.

    Thus, if you wish to succeed in life. Learn the English language properly. I sure as hell wont take anything you say seriously till you do and I doubt anyone else will. Untill then. I'm out.
    I write with proper grammar, but i don't when I'm chatting. On job resume i do use grammar, and in school I use proper grammar.


    see? i used proper grammar up there ^
    Last edited by Weterman; January 18th, 2014 at 11:55 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Bachelors Degree GoldenRatio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    415
    2 I's not capitalized.

    Edit: 3 if you count the second line when you referred to the first.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRatio View Post
    2 I's not capitalized.

    Edit: 3 if you count the second line when you referred to the first.
    i made a typo. and this forum does not let you indent. so should this forum be removed from the internet?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRatio View Post
    2 I's not capitalized.

    Edit: 3 if you count the second line when you referred to the first.
    i made a typo. and this forum does not let you indent. so should this forum be removed from the internet?
    If you look at the bottom of the comment box you'll see the 'Go Advanced' button. Indents and all kinds of goodies your heart might desire await you there.
    scheherazade likes this.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Bachelors Degree GoldenRatio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    415
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRatio View Post
    2 I's not capitalized.

    Edit: 3 if you count the second line when you referred to the first.
    i made a typo. and this forum does not let you indent. so should this forum be removed from the internet?
    If you look at the bottom of the comment box you'll see the 'Go Advanced' button. Indents and all kinds of goodies your heart might desire await you there.
    Also, capitalizing "I" has nothing to do with indention's. Nor does capitalizing the first letter in your sentence. Nor starting a sentence with "and"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRatio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adelady View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenRatio View Post
    2 I's not capitalized.

    Edit: 3 if you count the second line when you referred to the first.
    i made a typo. and this forum does not let you indent. so should this forum be removed from the internet?
    If you look at the bottom of the comment box you'll see the 'Go Advanced' button. Indents and all kinds of goodies your heart might desire await you there.
    Also, capitalizing "I" has nothing to do with indention's. Nor does capitalizing the first letter in your sentence. Nor starting a sentence with "and"
    Well you need to indent when you start a new paragraph. So don't correct my grammar when you don't use it properly either. You don't use an apostrophe in "indention". Apostrophe is used to say "is" after a word, or to show ownership.

    So don't correct my grammar when you don't use it properly yourself.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,034
    Throwing poo at written language is... Defeatist?

    Writing is the technology that made civilization possible.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer w/Straw View Post
    Throwing poo at written language is... Defeatist?

    Writing is the technology that made civilization possible.
    i not hating on it, im just saying, i dont have to be perfect with my writing to use writing.


    what your saying, is just like saying that your a "defeatist" by planting plants a little too close together, and as a result some dont survive. you eat the ones that do survive.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  32. #31  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,034
    The single greatest invention in human history was not a plant.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  33. #32  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    You appear to be an excellent example of why those lessons are needed.
    no i do not need these lessons. i choose to write without capitals. i am sorry if this upsets you, but im not sure what you want me to do about it.
    Man, you go right ahead and write without capitals if you wish. Such independent thinking is to be applauded. We even have a name for people who adhere to this practice. We call them unemployed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  34. #33  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dywyddyr View Post
    You appear to be an excellent example of why those lessons are needed.
    no i do not need these lessons. i choose to write without capitals. i am sorry if this upsets you, but im not sure what you want me to do about it.
    Man, you go right ahead and write without capitals if you wish. Such independent thinking is to be applauded. We even have a name for people who adhere to this practice. We call them unemployed.
    sorry i dont care what you think about my way of writing. i dont write with capitals because im not trying to apply for college. i am casually talking. if typing with capitals makes you feel smart, and insulting me because i dont makes you feel cool, i feel sorry for you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  35. #34  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    why is it mandatory? I am not lieing when i say i learn nothing in english class. this year i learnt a few grammar things, but last year i learnt nothing (last year grade 9) all that english class is, is reading stories, and answering questions for them. its like a fake history class.

    history - read stories about stuff that really happened, learn why the stuff happened, etc

    english - read and learn about fictional stories.



    and we dont even learn writing techniques. sometimes we have to write something, the teacher gets us to write it, some people do bad, teacher gives bad mark, but doesnt teach us how to write better. no actual writing tips, just some grammar, and thats all we get taught.


    so why is english class even in highschool? i understand that it should be in grade school, so people learn how to spell and that stuff, but in highschool you dont need it.
    You have to look to the future, since your in 9th grade, there is a possibility that you don't know what you will want when you're in your 50's, so the more knowledge you have through your life the more chances you will have to diversify your life around other people. Things like a resume, or even being a leader, the better you can communicate yourself to others the better it will go for you. There is nothing wrong with just understanding the basics as long as you know you can be happy, there are a lot of careers that spelling and grammar aren't really necessary so it comes down to just do what makes you happy but consider that all of us change as we age and it doesn't hurt to have a little bit better understanding of some things.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  36. #35  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by siledre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    why is it mandatory? I am not lieing when i say i learn nothing in english class. this year i learnt a few grammar things, but last year i learnt nothing (last year grade 9) all that english class is, is reading stories, and answering questions for them. its like a fake history class.

    history - read stories about stuff that really happened, learn why the stuff happened, etc

    english - read and learn about fictional stories.



    and we dont even learn writing techniques. sometimes we have to write something, the teacher gets us to write it, some people do bad, teacher gives bad mark, but doesnt teach us how to write better. no actual writing tips, just some grammar, and thats all we get taught.


    so why is english class even in highschool? i understand that it should be in grade school, so people learn how to spell and that stuff, but in highschool you dont need it.
    You have to look to the future, since your in 9th grade, there is a possibility that you don't know what you will want when you're in your 50's, so the more knowledge you have through your life the more chances you will have to diversify your life around other people. Things like a resume, or even being a leader, the better you can communicate yourself to others the better it will go for you. There is nothing wrong with just understanding the basics as long as you know you can be happy, there are a lot of careers that spelling and grammar aren't really necessary so it comes down to just do what makes you happy but consider that all of us change as we age and it doesn't hurt to have a little bit better understanding of some things.
    i see what you mean, but the thing is we dont learn anything in the class. we just read stories, then answer questions for them.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  37. #36  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by siledre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    why is it mandatory? I am not lieing when i say i learn nothing in english class. this year i learnt a few grammar things, but last year i learnt nothing (last year grade 9) all that english class is, is reading stories, and answering questions for them. its like a fake history class.

    history - read stories about stuff that really happened, learn why the stuff happened, etc

    english - read and learn about fictional stories.



    and we dont even learn writing techniques. sometimes we have to write something, the teacher gets us to write it, some people do bad, teacher gives bad mark, but doesnt teach us how to write better. no actual writing tips, just some grammar, and thats all we get taught.


    so why is english class even in highschool? i understand that it should be in grade school, so people learn how to spell and that stuff, but in highschool you dont need it.
    You have to look to the future, since your in 9th grade, there is a possibility that you don't know what you will want when you're in your 50's, so the more knowledge you have through your life the more chances you will have to diversify your life around other people. Things like a resume, or even being a leader, the better you can communicate yourself to others the better it will go for you. There is nothing wrong with just understanding the basics as long as you know you can be happy, there are a lot of careers that spelling and grammar aren't really necessary so it comes down to just do what makes you happy but consider that all of us change as we age and it doesn't hurt to have a little bit better understanding of some things.
    i see what you mean, but the thing is we dont learn anything in the class. we just read stories, then answer questions for them.
    well, all I can say is just do your best to weather it, get the best grades you can and eventually it will be over, sometimes you have to just do the work despite your feeling about it, trust me, you sometimes have to deal with that in whatever job you end up in. the best advice I can give is be patient and work through it.
    John Galt likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  38. #37  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    sorry i dont care what you think about my way of writing.
    Yes. I fully understand that. I am trying to advise you that such indifference is ill advised. You are completely free to ignore this advice. You may feel that free advice is worth precisely what you pay for it. However in rejecting that advice you are rejecting something based upon decades of business experience and a knowledge of what employers are looking for - given that I've hired and managed many hundreds of people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    i dont write with capitals because im not trying to apply for college.
    It is encouraging that you recognise that sloppy writing is definitely inappropriate in certain situations. What you seem not to recognise is that in this forum such sloppy writing is a sign of disrespect for the other members. That casual approach implicitly devalues them, since you clearly don't care what they think about your writing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    i am casually talking. if typing with capitals makes you feel smart, ...
    When I type with capitals it shows respect for the English language, respect for fellow forum members, respect for casual visitors and respect for myself. The absence of such respect in your posts reflects on you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    . if ..........insulting me because i dont [use capitals] makes you feel cool, i feel sorry for you.
    You are insulting yourself by the failure to use capitals. I am simply alerting you to the fact. As I said at the outset you are free to pretend I am talking bollocks, or you could actually use this as a productive life experience. It is your choice. I hope you make the right one.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  39. #38  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    1,909
    I was some of the mud that got to sit up and look around.
    Lucky me. Lucky mud.
    -Kurt Vonnegut Jr.-
    Cat's Cradle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  40. #39  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    sorry i dont care what you think about my way of writing.
    Yes. I fully understand that. I am trying to advise you that such indifference is ill advised. You are completely free to ignore this advice. You may feel that free advice is worth precisely what you pay for it. However in rejecting that advice you are rejecting something based upon decades of business experience and a knowledge of what employers are looking for - given that I've hired and managed many hundreds of people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    i dont write with capitals because im not trying to apply for college.
    It is encouraging that you recognise that sloppy writing is definitely inappropriate in certain situations. What you seem not to recognise is that in this forum such sloppy writing is a sign of disrespect for the other members. That casual approach implicitly devalues them, since you clearly don't care what they think about your writing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    i am casually talking. if typing with capitals makes you feel smart, ...
    When I type with capitals it shows respect for the English language, respect for fellow forum members, respect for casual visitors and respect for myself. The absence of such respect in your posts reflects on you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    . if ..........insulting me because i dont [use capitals] makes you feel cool, i feel sorry for you.
    You are insulting yourself by the failure to use capitals. I am simply alerting you to the fact. As I said at the outset you are free to pretend I am talking bollocks, or you could actually use this as a productive life experience. It is your choice. I hope you make the right one.
    Ok thanks for those tips but ill still write without capitals if i don't want to use them. And it's not really my fault if someone is offended by my writing. They are overly sensitive if they are.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  41. #40  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    Ok thanks for those tips but ill still write without capitals if i don't want to use them. And it's not really my fault if someone is offended by my writing. They are overly sensitive if they are.
    Remember that all choices have consequences. If you "choose" to avoid capitals when writing usually, you will acquire the automatic habit of avoiding capitals. What this means is that you will no longer have a free choice to use them when you want to. Practice is what makes it easy for us to do some things and lack of practice means it is hard for anyone to do other things. This applies equally to sports, musical instruments, writing whether it's by hand, by fancy calligraphy or by machine.

    The most important thing about using a machine for writing is the same as that for playing a musical instrument. Keyboard skills make writing correctly easy for me and not for you, just as if we were both pianists or guitarists and I practised regularly and you chose not to. If you choose - deliberately or otherwise - to not practise certain skills, you'll always be less likely to use them fluently or accurately.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  42. #41  
    Northern Horse Whisperer Moderator scheherazade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Yukon, Canada
    Posts
    4,054
    Reading this thread reminds me that one of my most difficult subjects was English grammar, in part because the teacher was not very strong in making her case. I still remember that her take on adverbs was that "most adverbs end in -ly". It sounds like Weterman may possibly have a teacher who could be more effective in helping the students understand the purpose of the lessons. Just a thought...

    Reading and composition came quite easily to me because I did a lot of reading and learned to emulate various writing styles.

    Subject-verb-object was simple enough but modifiers and prepositional phrases soon became murky under the tutelage that I received.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  43. #42  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
    Reading this thread reminds me that one of my most difficult subjects was English grammar, in part because the teacher was not very strong in making her case. I still remember that her take on adverbs was that "most adverbs end in -ly". It sounds like Weterman may possibly have a teacher who could be more effective in helping the students understand the purpose of the lessons. Just a thought...

    Reading and composition came quite easily to me because I did a lot of reading and learned to emulate various writing styles.

    Subject-verb-object was simple enough but modifiers and prepositional phrases soon became murky under the tutelage that I received.
    ya the teacher doesnt really teach. one weird thing she said, when you say "everyone", you talk about it as if it were one person. i cant remember example she used but it made no sense and you'd never say that when talking.

    i hear germany has good education, and they dont have english mandatory, maybe they're onto something :P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  44. #43  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    one weird thing she said, when you say "everyone", you talk about it as if it were one person. i cant remember example she used but it made no sense and you'd never say that when talking.
    Well, that's the way it is used.

    Everyone is/was required to sign in by 10 am. ... using the singular,

    or,

    All competitors are/were required to sign in by 10 am. ... using the plural.

    We use everyone exactly the same way we use anyone - grammatically anyway.

    It's the same as the distinction when using every, any, all as an adjectives on its own.

    Every library book is catalogued according to the Dewey decimal system.
    All library books are catalogued according to the Dewey decimal system.

    Perhaps I'm not seeing the problem you're getting at.
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  45. #44  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,502
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantEvil View Post
    Ah yes, the "comma of direct address". More memorably known as the Donner Party Comma.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  46. #45  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Ok thanks for those tips but ill still write without capitals if i don't want to use them. And it's not really my fault if someone is offended by my writing. They are overly sensitive if they are.
    God created capitals for a reason: maybe you should use them.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  47. #46  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange
    Ah yes, the "comma of direct address". More memorably known as the Donner Party Comma.
    I would rather eat a grandma than a Doner...

    Reply With Quote  
     

  48. #47  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    Ok thanks for those tips but ill still write without capitals if i don't want to use them. And it's not really my fault if someone is offended by my writing. They are overly sensitive if they are.
    God created capitals for a reason: maybe you should use them.
    they are not mandatory for casually talking. you can understand something very well without capitals. so i see no reason to use them while casually typing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  49. #48  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    they are not mandatory for casually talking. you can understand something very well without capitals. so i see no reason to use them while casually typing.

    From your logic, it follows that punctuation, white spaces, paragraphs are not mandatory for casually talking and that one can understand something very well without them. Yet, you use punctuation, white spaces and paragraphs. So why do you use those things and ignore (despite being advised not to do so) the usage of capitals?
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  50. #49  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    they are not mandatory for casually talking. you can understand something very well without capitals. so i see no reason to use them while casually typing.

    From your logic, it follows that punctuation, white spaces, paragraphs are not mandatory for casually talking and that one can understand something very well without them. Yet, you use punctuation, white spaces and paragraphs. So why do you use those things and ignore (despite being advised not to do so) the usage of capitals?
    its hard to understand without punctuation capitals just makes the sentence look prettier you dont really need capitals but punctuation you need as you can see with no punctuation this sentence is harder to read
    Reply With Quote  
     

  51. #50  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    its hard to understand without punctuation capitals just makes the sentence look prettier you dont really need capitals but punctuation you need as you can see with no punctuation this sentence is harder to read

    And do you write cities, countries, continents, languages, names, deities, abbreviations (of institutions), titles, etc. also without capitals?
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  52. #51  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    its hard to understand without punctuation capitals just makes the sentence look prettier you dont really need capitals but punctuation you need as you can see with no punctuation this sentence is harder to read
    Look. This conversation is largely pointless. Here is a summary of the facts.

    1. Regardless of what you think, the majority of mature, well-educated, respectful people believe it is sensible, productive, polite and worthwhile to use capitals when writing, whether or not such writing is casual or formal.
    2. You assert that you are indifferent to what others may think, apparently because you feel your personal view trumps that of informed society.
    3. Therefore, you are - in essence - telling the rest of us to like it, or lump it. If we don't like we can just take a hike. You don't really care.
    4. On that basis, why are you even trying to justify your (unjustifiable) position, since you don't care what the rest of us think?
    5. I mean, if you intend to act like an arrogant bastard, why are you stopping half way?
    Strange likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  53. #52  
    Forum Senior Weterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Canada Saskatchewan
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Weterman View Post
    its hard to understand without punctuation capitals just makes the sentence look prettier you dont really need capitals but punctuation you need as you can see with no punctuation this sentence is harder to read
    Look. This conversation is largely pointless. Here is a summary of the facts.

    1. Regardless of what you think, the majority of mature, well-educated, respectful people believe it is sensible, productive, polite and worthwhile to use capitals when writing, whether or not such writing is casual or formal.
    2. You assert that you are indifferent to what others may think, apparently because you feel your personal view trumps that of informed society.
    3. Therefore, you are - in essence - telling the rest of us to like it, or lump it. If we don't like we can just take a hike. You don't really care.
    4. On that basis, why are you even trying to justify your (unjustifiable) position, since you don't care what the rest of us think?
    5. I mean, if you intend to act like an arrogant bastard, why are you stopping half way?
    not true.

    all im saying is, dont worry about my grammar. you have to have better stuff to do than that.

    im not the one that started going off topic. and i am not the arrogant one, im just trying to be left alone about my grammar. the arrogant ones are the ones insulting me because i have better stuff to do than make my grammar perfect. arrogant means - you think your the best.

    i dont think that. i just think that my grammar has nothing to do with this topic.

    people that insult me because of my bad grammar are the arrogant ones, they thing that they are better than me because they use correct grammar.

    So essentially you're saying you don't give a f*ck about your audience. YOU can't be bothered to write clearly and it's their problem, not yours.
    Ignore list...


    thats just trolling. i dont even know what to say about that
    Reply With Quote  
     

  54. #53  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    city of wine and roses
    Posts
    6,225
    people that insult me because of my bad grammar are the arrogant ones, they thing that they are better than me because they use correct grammar.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but what I think is that every time you choose to write a certain way (or hold a tennis racquet a certain way or play a guitar a certain way) you are choosing to practise and reinforce one way of doing things and you. are. also. choosing. to practise. and reinforce avoiding other ways of performing that skill.

    What we know about brain plasticity (call it practice or reinforcement if you like) is that the more you do or say or think anything in a particular way, the more likely you are to continue to do that. Most importantly, the more often you choose one particular way, the less able you will be to do (or speak or think) any other way.

    It's your choice. But it's a distinctly disadvantageous choice for your future education and your options for employment. (Whatever you might think of the attitudes expressed here, they're nothing compared to what most employers say.)
    "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." Winston Churchill
    "nature is like a game of Jenga; you never know which brick you pull out will cause the whole stack to collapse" Lucy Cooke
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 24th, 2013, 09:42 AM
  2. Calling Base Class Constructors from Derived Class c++
    By muhammadjaziem in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 31st, 2013, 04:39 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 25th, 2008, 02:08 AM
  4. What's in a Name or Paying Attention in English Class
    By zinjanthropos in forum Education
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 15th, 2007, 11:07 AM
  5. need topic for a highschool math presentation
    By Asheq111 in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 2nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •