Notices
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: be honest none of us care about global warming..

  1. #1 be honest none of us care about global warming.. 
    Forum Freshman B1AZE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    43
    this planet has been hot and cold numerous of times,we gotta understand that this process happens over millions of years,most people think the....60-90 years average we live on this planet iis the most important time to date,our life is a blink of an eye compared to the age of earth,dont even mention the galaxy let alone the universe,most of these experiments our conduted by scientist looking for the extra investment to feed his kids,because its easy to say low lying cities will be underwater in the next few decades..wow it JUST happens to happen during an average life time of a new generation adult,its all in the media because its good for the economy,and yeh i understand yes we may be effecting the weather and the currents at present,but in the space of 50-100 year i see gas being ancient and super fast electric cars,why..because were nutters,were just really clever animals with thumbs,just live life to full,doing what you enjoy,if that includes long hot showers and heated floors,fuck it..its not the end of the world for atleast the few thousand years,unless countries keep showing off their cocks to each other,were all good,then the sun dies,and were gone,peaceee


    We spend most of our lifes not knowing..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,810
    still, if i'm going to die i'd rather have it done gently rather than in a nasty heatwave like some of the old parisians in 2003


    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Sophomore kingjacob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    between time and timbuktu
    Posts
    131
    I really could care less about global warming, its more of a matter of efficiency and advancing technology. If you can create a vehicle that can travel forever off solar or nuclear why would you waste time and money creating vehicles that use something as crude as oil?

    Plus larger amounts of cheap energy is good for physics research
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman B1AZE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    43
    kinda pissed off about losing the coral reefs tho
    We spend most of our lifes not knowing..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Imagine a work of art such Rembrandt's Night Watch, or The Thinker by Rodin.
    Now imagine spray painting obscenities over The Night Watch and turning a welding torch on The Thinker.
    I hope you would be appalled by those acts of vandalism.

    That is why I do care about global warming.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    sak
    sak is offline
    Forum Junior sak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Presently at ME
    Posts
    210
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 Re: be honest none of us care about global warming.. 
    Forum Ph.D. Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by B1AZE
    this planet has been hot and cold numerous of times,we gotta understand that this process happens over millions of years,most people think the....60-90 years average we live on this planet iis the most important time to date,our life is a blink of an eye compared to the age of earth,dont even mention the galaxy let alone the universe,most of these experiments our conduted by scientist looking for the extra investment to feed his kids,because its easy to say low lying cities will be underwater in the next few decades..wow it JUST happens to happen during an average life time of a new generation adult,its all in the media because its good for the economy,and yeh i understand yes we may be effecting the weather and the currents at present,but in the space of 50-100 year i see gas being ancient and super fast electric cars,why..because were nutters,were just really clever animals with thumbs,just live life to full,doing what you enjoy,if that includes long hot showers and heated floors,fuck it..its not the end of the world for atleast the few thousand years,unless countries keep showing off their cocks to each other,were all good,then the sun dies,and were gone,peaceee
    Is this spam? It looks like some kind of incoherent jumble of characters.

    If it is a post, I'm not really sure the OTP is making any kind of effort that warrants a response.
    Wolf
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    "Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you." Alan Alda
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Masters Degree samcdkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    640
    Does a "head in the sand" approach act as a deterrent to global warming?
    Homeland Security Advisory System: RED
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman B1AZE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    43
    if everyone flushed the toilet at the sametime,would the streets flood over with crap
    We spend most of our lifes not knowing..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10 Re: be honest none of us care about global warming.. 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by B1AZE
    this planet has been hot and cold numerous of times,we gotta understand that this process happens over millions of years,most people think the....60-90 years average we live on this planet iis the most important time to date,our life is a blink of an eye compared to the age of earth,dont even mention the galaxy let alone the universe,most of these experiments our conduted by scientist looking for the extra investment to feed his kids,because its easy to say low lying cities will be underwater in the next few decades..wow it JUST happens to happen during an average life time of a new generation adult,its all in the media because its good for the economy,and yeh i understand yes we may be effecting the weather and the currents at present,but in the space of 50-100 year i see gas being ancient and super fast electric cars,why..because were nutters,were just really clever animals with thumbs,just live life to full,doing what you enjoy,if that includes long hot showers and heated floors,fuck it..its not the end of the world for atleast the few thousand years,unless countries keep showing off their cocks to each other,were all good,then the sun dies,and were gone,peaceee
    People do not seem to care because they just pay attention to their own lives of having a job and family.

    If you have 'asthma' that requires those inhalers, than you may think about why it affects you or the air quality.
    They say it is the plant pollen. So they blame nature. But I say it is the pollution in the air that is affecting some people.
    Air quality has deterioted because of the pollutants in the air caused by the industrial wastes in the air.

    One of the biggest factors besides the air pollutants is the destruction of forests that has reduced the oxygen content of the air and caused the air to be more heated as a result of the loss of trees that cooled the planet.
    The surface air temperatures may appear to be the same because this heated air rises to the upper atmosphere. But that warmer heated air above descends down to the surface at the polar regions that apparently is the cause of icecaps melting.
    Lets face it. During the last century, there was/is a lot of pollution and tree cutt ing to create the current GW.

    Sothe air pollutants and tree destruction are the causes of Global Warming. No douby abou it.

    Cosmo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    165
    Cosmo,

    No douby abou it.
    There is obviously a debate on anthro GW although it is clear on both sides of the argument that cutting down trees and putting pollutants in the air is a very BAD thing and not doing the planet any good.

    Barry
    Thinking of the question is greater than knowing the answer...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Sophomore numb3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    if global warming realy exist's it wont lead to a massive heat wave it will lead to a ice age
    f the Mediterranean Sea continues to increase in salinity, it will eventually cause warm water to flow to the Labrador Sea (off the coast of Newfoundland and Greenland) and cooling of the Nordic Seas (east of Greenland). This warm water increases the humidity of the area which causes glaciers to form and causes Northern Europe to begin to cool. This appears to be the way that the last major ice age was triggered.
    :-D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    67
    Funny that the rate of climate change over the past 100 years is directly proportional to the amount of greenhouse gas emissions released into the atmosphere.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Sophomore numb3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    i beleave that globle warming is a facter in the rise of temp. over the past 100 years but i also beleave that it would have happend with or without the existance of human kind.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    Thanks Barry.

    Numbers

    That small area (Nordic Sea) that you cite for an ice age is nonsense. This is but a small area when compared to the entire planet.

    Cosmo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Sophomore numb3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    global warming is merly due to to the sun cycles yes we are a contributing facter in this but provfe that this is real well.. take a look at mars its heating up rapidly its poles are melting just like ours. radiation from the sun hase increased by .05% per decade sence the 1970s

    The increase would only be significant to Earth's climate if it has been going on for a century or more, said study leader Richard Willson, a Columbia University researcher also affiliated with NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies.
    :-D
    my grammer is not to be made fun of
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by numb3rs
    global warming is merly due to to the sun cycles yes we are a contributing facter in this but provfe that this is real well.. take a look at mars its heating up rapidly its poles are melting just like ours. radiation from the sun hase increased by .05% per decade sence the 1970s
    Too bad it doesn't show up on sensors. Sum irradiation is being measured directly and there is no net increase--period. Whatever is happening on Mars isn't being driven by the sun that much is certain.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Sophomore numb3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    my grammer is not to be made fun of
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Sophomore numb3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    In 2005 data from NASA's Mars Global Surveyor and Odyssey missions revealed that the carbon dioxide "ice caps" near Mars's south pole had been diminishing for three summers in a row.

    Habibullo Abdussamatov, head of space research at St. Petersburg's Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in Russia, says the Mars data is evidence that the current global warming on Earth is being caused by changes in the sun
    heres a better graph for you :P
    my grammer is not to be made fun of
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by numb3rs
    No.
    But please explain why you think PROXY data from another planet on one place with a myriad of other possible reasons, (some mentioned in your very link) should hold more credence than ACTUAL DIRECT measurements of the sun.

    The Direct measurement is clearly better data and irrefutable evidence that whatever is happening on that one place on Mars has nothing to do with the sun's output.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Sophomore numb3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    my grammer is not to be made fun of
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Not sure what your point is. You show the well known solar cycle. No one doubts that we see that signal. What's at doubt is that it explains the recent warming and is more important than the overwhelming evidence from Green house gases(GHGs). It's also very much at doubt that it will dominate the future climate as much as GHG--though that might be good to buy us some time to shut down the fossil fuel burning.

    Even NASA's excellent simulations of the past 120 years show the solar cycle to be important but not the primary driver of warming during that period. The last article you posted shows the relative quiet of the sun the past couple years, but we still had very warm years compared to the past century. The next peak will probably break new records as it's superimposed over the green house gas warming.

    Here's NASA's figure showing the estimated forcing based on their very successful model runs.

    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Sophomore numb3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    green house gasses yes are a contributing facter but the amount of change in temp. could not have come alone from human's it has to have another contributing facter. which most likely is the change in the sun
    my grammer is not to be made fun of
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Sophomore numb3rs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    166
    and zomg. mars is not heating up as rapidly as earth but it is changeing the temp significantly enuf to melt the ice caps. i think thats strong proof its self
    my grammer is not to be made fun of
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by numb3rs
    green house gasses yes are a contributing facter but the amount of change in temp. could not have come alone from human's it has to have another contributing facter. which most likely is the change in the sun
    The other contributing factor is 'deforestation'.
    During the last century, my guess is that 50% of the trees were cut down to increase farm land and grazing land for cattle.
    Trees absorb tremendous amounts of sun light and transform it into growth. So this absorbed energy does not contribute to the Earths surface temperature.
    But since a great number have been cut down, this would cause a greater surface temperature to increase.

    However, this surface temperature is not readily apparent because it rises to the upper atmosphere.
    Also, the surfaces of the oceans absorb tremendous amounts of heat.
    This heated air at the top returns to the surface at the polar regions. Therefore this air must be causing the 'melting' of the polar ice caps.

    This air contains a lot of 'ions' that could be the main cause of the melting.
    These ions are the causes of the Northern Lights.

    Cosmo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3
    Personally, global warming and related problems are more concerned by researchers and gov. than normal people
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck
    Personally, global warming and related problems are more concerned by researchers and gov. than normal people
    Asthma cases are on the increase since the reduction of trees increases the content of CO2 and pollutants, while the oxygen content decreases
    since the free oxygen in the air comes from the plants, IMO.

    Of course, the industry blames the pollen as the cause that I refute.

    Cosmo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,150
    The notion that there cant be massive planetary change is eroneous

    - Earth use to have very little oxygen mere microorganisms contributed to the change in atmospheric composition, when dinosaurs walked the earth there may have been higher levels of oxygen
    - During a period of time the entire globe was covered in ice, greenhouse gases from volcanoes eventually changed this situation transforming the earth from an ice planet to a mostly ocean planet
    - During another period warming and/or climate changes derailed ocean currents to the point that stagnant oceans eventually released lethal gases into the atmosphere on a planetary scale


    Imagine, the melting polar caps could reduce the amount of heat reflected into space, in turn triggering the release of methane from formerly permafrost regions further increasing GHG, further increasing ocean temperatures and/or acidity. The possibility that there is a tipping point because of factors we have not fully evaluated is real, lets hope the next generations doesnt find out that it was the case.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,114
    Quote Originally Posted by icewendigo
    The notion that there cant be massive planetary change is eroneous

    - Earth use to have very little oxygen mere microorganisms contributed to the change in atmospheric composition, when dinosaurs walked the earth there may have been higher levels of oxygen
    - During a period of time the entire globe was covered in ice, greenhouse gases from volcanoes eventually changed this situation transforming the earth from an ice planet to a mostly ocean planet
    - During another period warming and/or climate changes derailed ocean currents to the point that stagnant oceans eventually released lethal gases into the atmosphere on a planetary scale


    Imagine, the melting polar caps could reduce the amount of heat reflected into space, in turn triggering the release of methane from formerly permafrost regions further increasing GHG, further increasing ocean temperatures and/or acidity. The possibility that there is a tipping point because of factors we have not fully evaluated is real, lets hope the next generations doesnt find out that it was the case.
    You are ignoring the fact that during the past century's industrial revolution and destruction of forests (50% IMO), a great change in the contents of the air did occur.
    These changes had to have some effect on the atmosphere.

    Cosmo
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •