Notices
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: earth layer significative element

  1. #1 earth layer significative element 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3
    Hi there. As I'm studying for my final in geochimie I find hard to find which elements are significant and relevant when it comes to separate layers of earth. ( aside from the obvious things like oxygen in atmosphere... ). In other words, if you could get a random rock from one of those layers, what are the elements that will surely indicates from which one in comes?

    Atmosphere:

    Noble gaz ( because they are highly volatile elements )

    Superior Continental Crust:

    Ir ( because of the meteoric contribution)

    inferior Continental Crust:

    radioactive element ( U, Th, Sr ) ( more concentrated )

    oceanic Crust:

    ?

    Mantle:

    Rare Earth Element, Fe, Mg

    Core:

    High concentration of Fe and Ni ( like in iron meteor )

    What am I missing there? thanks in advance


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,496
    I'll leave the Crust etc to someone who knows more about it, but as a former atmospheric chemist the main layers you need to think about in the atmosphere are:

    The Troposphere
    The Stratosphere
    The Mesosphere
    The Thermosphere.

    Thinking in terms of individual gases is a bit dodgy as they tend to be fairly well mixed in most atmospheric regions. The important things to think about are how pressure, temperature and solar radiation varies with altitude and the effects this has on the chemistry and physics of those regions.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    4,591
    I agree with PhDemon, in that you seem to be thinking of "elements" in the wrong manner. Shouldn't you be thinking of "significant distinctive traits" for each, rather then thinking of the periodic table???
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3
    No I really ment element as from the periodic table of element.
    for other distinctive trait, I know most of the physics ( pressure, temperature, moho discontinuity etc... ) and mineralogy ( peridotite for upper mantle, perovskite for lower ) and so on. But maybe I'm going too far with that. I'll ask my teacher for what he exactly intended ( it was a topics of an ancient exam without correction ). maybe He just wanted the most common element found in each layer.

    anyway thanks a lot for this quick replying and have a nice evening
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by carter7gindenv View Post
    Hi there. As I'm studying for my final in geochimie I find hard to find which elements are significant and relevant when it comes to separate layers of earth. ( aside from the obvious things like oxygen in atmosphere... ). In other words, if you could get a random rock from one of those layers, what are the elements that will surely indicates from which one in comes?

    Atmosphere:

    Noble gaz ( because they are highly volatile elements )

    Superior Continental Crust:

    Ir ( because of the meteoric contribution)

    inferior Continental Crust:

    radioactive element ( U, Th, Sr ) ( more concentrated )

    oceanic Crust:

    ?

    Mantle:

    Rare Earth Element, Fe, Mg

    Core:

    High concentration of Fe and Ni ( like in iron meteor )

    What am I missing there? thanks in advance
    I am not a specialist but I think I recall we used to speak, in the old days, of "sial" and "sima", i.e. Si/Al for continental crust and Si/Mg for oceanic. But maybe there are other characteristic differences that identify them more unambiguously.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wuerzburg, Bavaria, Germany
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by exchemist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carter7gindenv View Post
    Hi there. As I'm studying for my final in geochimie I find hard to find which elements are significant and relevant when it comes to separate layers of earth. ( aside from the obvious things like oxygen in atmosphere... ). In other words, if you could get a random rock from one of those layers, what are the elements that will surely indicates from which one in comes?

    Atmosphere:

    Noble gaz ( because they are highly volatile elements )

    Superior Continental Crust:

    Ir ( because of the meteoric contribution)

    inferior Continental Crust:

    radioactive element ( U, Th, Sr ) ( more concentrated )

    oceanic Crust:

    ?

    Mantle:

    Rare Earth Element, Fe, Mg

    Core:

    High concentration of Fe and Ni ( like in iron meteor )

    What am I missing there? thanks in advance
    I am not a specialist but I think I recall we used to speak, in the old days, of "sial" and "sima", i.e. Si/Al for continental crust and Si/Mg for oceanic. But maybe there are other characteristic differences that identify them more unambiguously.
    Silicon is the most important player in the mantle and the crust, but somehow the small amounts of elements do the difference

    U should take a closer look at the
    Goldschmidt classification, especially for the Rare Earth Elements u are wrong they are lithophil
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by The Geographer View Post

    Silicon is the most important player in the mantle and the crust, but somehow the small amounts of elements do the difference

    U should take a closer look at the
    Goldschmidt classification, especially for the Rare Earth Elements u are wrong they are lithophil
    I'm always happy to bow to superior expertise. But I did not mention Rare Earth Elements in my reply so I am rather nonplussed by your contribution.

    Can you answer the poster's question, then?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wuerzburg, Bavaria, Germany
    Posts
    160
    no offend, it was carter7gindenv's quote which was ment. I just picked ur quote, to go on there, thematically. The Goldschmidt classification is a try to categorize elements for their behaviour in which of earth' layer they want into.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    exchemist
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,616
    Quote Originally Posted by The Geographer View Post
    no offend, it was carter7gindenv's quote which was ment. I just picked ur quote, to go on there, thematically. The Goldschmidt classification is a try to categorize elements for their behaviour in which of earth' layer they want into.
    Ah yes, I see. Thank you. I was not previously aware of the Goldschmidt Classification.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Three layer question.
    By Zalvager in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: October 16th, 2012, 11:51 AM
  2. Is Gold an Element in the Molten Core of Planet Earth?
    By westwind in forum Earth Sciences
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: April 11th, 2012, 06:18 AM
  3. personal ozone layer!
    By precious in forum Biology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 22nd, 2011, 02:44 AM
  4. Depletion of ozone layer
    By MunYee in forum Environmental Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 28th, 2009, 04:08 AM
  5. The Ozone Layer
    By SusAye in forum Astronomy & Cosmology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: September 14th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •