Notices
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Volcano

  1. #1 Volcano 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21
    Hello my main interest here are Volcano, Earthquake any any issue that relates
    to this 2.
    Are there any other parties here into volcano.

    Just asking.......


    ********The Sky The Limit********

    Terry Arceneaux
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Bachelors Degree Apopohis Reject's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    489
    Hello Terry,

    You might say I am a little 'into' volcanoes. Also I find it an interesting word, and wonder about it's derivation.

    Anyhow, what are you going to share, or what would you like to know - not that I will be able to correctly answer many questions, mind you.


    sunshinewarrior: If two people are using the same word, but applying different meanings to it, then they're not communicating.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21
    Right now I learning as I go
    ********The Sky The Limit********

    Terry Arceneaux
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10
    I consider myself an amateur geologist. Hell I'm writing this from Acadia National Park...and this is geology heaven. I'd love to talk about Vocanos...you start the convo!
    www.ecosphereblog.com
    I blog about the environment, nature, and science I encounter, learn about, or see.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21
    Like I said I'm learning as I go. I'm not wizard on them but I thought just to talk about Volcano and related issues on volcanos.
    I've been doing a little bit of reading on Volcanos and watching the science channel
    on volcanos.
    I'm trying to find out how we can make use out of the energy that comes out of Volcanos. If it can be done.
    ********The Sky The Limit********

    Terry Arceneaux
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Bachelors Degree Apopohis Reject's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Arceneaux
    Like I said I'm learning as I go. I'm not wizard on them but I thought just to talk about Volcano and related issues on volcanos.
    I've been doing a little bit of reading on Volcanos and watching the science channel
    on volcanos.
    I'm trying to find out how we can make use out of the energy that comes out of Volcanos. If it can be done.
    Even though I have no particulars on hand, I believe people have tried to do just that previously. Even so, please don't let that stop you from having a go, for another person's lack of success, need not be yours.
    sunshinewarrior: If two people are using the same word, but applying different meanings to it, then they're not communicating.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    At one point I considered becoming a vulcanologist. I intended doing research on the geochemistry of the Great Eucrite on the Ardnamurchan peninsula, a subterranean relic of the Tertiary vulcanicity that dominated the Scottish west coast in the Tertiary period. So I'll be happy to drop in observations or try to answer any questions you may have.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Bachelors Degree Apopohis Reject's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    489
    One observation is for certain Terry; isn't the volcano and the raw power and materialised substance that we witness being ejected through it's aperture, an awesome representation of an even greater something going on below the surface of our amazing planet?

    Additionally, I was interested to learn recently (even though it perhaps should be obvious), that there is a lot more volcanic activity taking place on the bottom of the oceans, than on land. This started me thinking on topics, such as 'warming and cooling of the oceans' at various times, and consequently the changes in the planet's environment/climate that such activity would surely affect, and even might generate.

    Just a few thoughts to consider (or not).
    sunshinewarrior: If two people are using the same word, but applying different meanings to it, then they're not communicating.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10
    Indeed, the oceans are thriving with volcanic activity (in a geological sense of course). Hydrothermal vents are responsible for adding sulfur to the ocean and with this sulfur there comes these isolated ecosystems where the base of their food web is sulfur using bacteria and types of worms(might be wrong on that though). The mid atlantic ridge is constantly ejecting basaltic magma between existing ocean crust--responsible for sea floor spreading. We all know about about the ring of fire, a series of underwater active volcano ranges erupting. And related to underwater volcanism is volcano mountain ranges and island arcs that are a result of the subduction of oceanic crust under continental

    So I'd agree that your observation is very valid. I don't however agree with your proposed hypothesis that there could be a correlation between volvanic activity and changed ocean temperature. The ocean temperature is fairly constant (compared to continents) because of water's high heat capacity. Even with the CONSTANT bombardment of the Sun's energy on the ocean, the temperature stays rather the same.
    www.ecosphereblog.com
    I blog about the environment, nature, and science I encounter, learn about, or see.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope skeptic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,843
    A better approach to tapping energy is to use the 'hot rock' system. It is not practical to tap volcanoes themselves due to the problem of control. However, a hole drilled down to where the rock is 200 C permits water to be pumped down and turned into steam to drive a turbine.

    Australia is a country with very little potential geothermal energy of the traditional kind, but they are doing excellent development work on hot rock geothermal energy.
    http://www.aussiehotrocks.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman jlhredshift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Madison, Ohio
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Apopohis Reject
    One observation is for certain Terry; isn't the volcano and the raw power and materialised substance that we witness being ejected through it's aperture, an awesome representation of an even greater something going on below the surface of our amazing planet?

    Additionally, I was interested to learn recently (even though it perhaps should be obvious), that there is a lot more volcanic activity taking place on the bottom of the oceans, than on land. This started me thinking on topics, such as 'warming and cooling of the oceans' at various times, and consequently the changes in the planet's environment/climate that such activity would surely affect, and even might generate.

    Just a few thoughts to consider (or not).
    If you observe the magnetic "striping" on either side of the mid Atlantic ridge, it is fairly easy to see that the general rate of sea floor spreading has been reasonably consistent for the last 250mya, and hence, the amount of heat added to the Atlantic has been fairly consistent for that time period.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Bachelors Degree Apopohis Reject's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by skeptic
    A better approach to tapping energy is to use the 'hot rock' system. It is not practical to tap volcanoes themselves due to the problem of control. However, a hole drilled down to where the rock is 200 C permits water to be pumped down and turned into steam to drive a turbine.

    Australia is a country with very little potential geothermal energy of the traditional kind, but they are doing excellent development work on hot rock geothermal energy.
    http://www.aussiehotrocks.com/
    Are you sure the water turns to steam whilst still underground? Even though one would expect water to be turned into steam at such temperatures, I was under the impression that because it remained under pressure through the cycle, it became superheated water - without turning to steam until it emerged and the pressure was off.

    It was quite a while ago that I heard about this process, so my recollection might be a little off. I did think at the time though, that it was a quite amazing concept that someone came up with.
    sunshinewarrior: If two people are using the same word, but applying different meanings to it, then they're not communicating.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21
    I was thinking since there are pocket of gas down inside of most volcano if it can be done tap into that gas get energy from that source once you can think of away
    to get past the lava.

    there is another topic here called ( digging to the core of earth ) I think if you were to try this but drill into the core of a Volcano perhads you can tap into the energy.

    Just a thought
    ********The Sky The Limit********

    Terry Arceneaux
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •