Notices
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Skeptics acknowledge calculation errors

  1. #1 Skeptics acknowledge calculation errors 
    Forum Isotope Bunbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,590
    I missed this when it was news - perhaps it's already been covered here. Anyway, at risk of being redundant, leading AGW skeptics Christy and Spencer years ago analyzed satellite data and found the troposphere was cooling - a problem for climate models that said it should be warming. Now they acknowledge their calculations were flawed and new analysis finds the warming occurring as predicted by the models. (Christy and Spencer still deny it's a problem.)

    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/12/sc...erland&emc=rss


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Sophomore Total Science's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.C. (U.N.-Occupied Territory)
    Posts
    195
    For at least the past 15,000 years, hundreds of thousands of methane chimneys have released hundreds of millions of tons of methane into the atmosphere on a daily basis and these idiots are worried about 200 years of anthropogenic carbon dioxide? What about 4.5 billion years of volcanic carbon dioxide?


    "The most likely site for error is in the most fundamental of our beliefs." -- Samuel Warren Carey, geologist, 1988
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Science
    For at least the past 15,000 years, hundreds of thousands of methane chimneys have released hundreds of millions of tons of methane into the atmosphere on a daily basis and these idiots are worried about 200 years of anthropogenic carbon dioxide? What about 4.5 billion years of volcanic carbon dioxide?
    The process of weathering removes CO2 from the atmosphere. Existing as carbonate ions, the outgassed carbon is sequestered in limestones via inorganic precipitation and/or biological activity. The rock is then suducted and through partial melting is again released into the atmosphere coming fill circle.

    It's called the carbon cycle.

    Cheers,
    -thb
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Sophomore Total Science's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.C. (U.N.-Occupied Territory)
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by tenderheart bear
    The process of weathering removes CO2 from the atmosphere.
    Great. I guess we're all happy then.

    The rock is then suducted and through partial melting is again released into the atmosphere coming fill circle.
    There is no such thing as subduction. Cheers.
    "The most likely site for error is in the most fundamental of our beliefs." -- Samuel Warren Carey, geologist, 1988
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Science
    There is no such thing as subduction. Cheers.
    May I direct you to a first-year, undergrad geology text?

    Thanks,
    -thb
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Science
    There is no such thing as subduction. Cheers.
    i've taken the liberty to highlight the areas of subduction on your map
    if you want to look closer on the original, they are there as thin black lines

    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Sophomore Total Science's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.C. (U.N.-Occupied Territory)
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Science
    There is no such thing as subduction. Cheers.
    i've taken the liberty to highlight the areas of subduction on your map
    if you want to look closer on the original, they are there as thin black lines

    That's hilarious but it's physically impossible for subduction to be occuring at any of those places. There is no evidence of invisible magic conveyor belts in the center of the Earth.
    "The most likely site for error is in the most fundamental of our beliefs." -- Samuel Warren Carey, geologist, 1988
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Professor sunshinewarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Science
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Science
    There is no such thing as subduction. Cheers.
    i've taken the liberty to highlight the areas of subduction on your map
    if you want to look closer on the original, they are there as thin black lines

    That's hilarious but it's physically impossible for subduction to be occuring at any of those places. There is no evidence of invisible magic conveyor belts in the center of the Earth.
    Ah... one of those ideas.

    May I refer you to the Flat Earthists with whom you may find kinship?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Science
    For at least the past 15,000 years, hundreds of thousands of methane chimneys have released hundreds of millions of tons of methane into the atmosphere on a daily basis and these idiots are worried about 200 years of anthropogenic carbon dioxide? What about 4.5 billion years of volcanic carbon dioxide?
    Your post and the ones which follow have absolutely nothing to do with the initial thread post which finds a calculation error in tropospheric temperature data.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Sophomore Total Science's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.C. (U.N.-Occupied Territory)
    Posts
    195
    And to the thread hijackers.

    In order for the Earth to remain the same size there has to be an equal amount of subduction, not just some subduction, but an equal amount of subduction.

    So, for every foot of seafloor spreading, there has to be a foot of subduction; that's common sense.

    Is there evidence that subduction happens in equal measure with seafloor spreading?

    As one example, note the seafloor spreading surrounding Anarctica.

    In fact, the seafloor spreading surrounds Anarctica in a full 360 degree circle.

    Is there evidence of an equal amount of subduction around anarctica?
    "The most likely site for error is in the most fundamental of our beliefs." -- Samuel Warren Carey, geologist, 1988
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Professor sunshinewarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Science
    And to the thread hijackers.
    Speak for yourself. As Lynn-Fox pointed out, there's only one person intorducing topics here that are irrelevant to the OP...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    (Q)
    (Q) is offline
    Forum Isotope (Q)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,650
    Back to the OP - copied from the link:

    The scientists who developed the original troposphere temperature records from satellite data, John R. Christy and Roy W. Spencer of the University of Alabama in Huntsville, conceded yesterday that they had made a mistake but said that their revised calculations still produced a warming rate too small to be a concern.

    "Our view hasn't changed," Dr. Christy said. "We still have this modest warming."
    I would very much like those who criticize and accuse science for being closed-minded to read these statements and know that scientists are open to new information and will concede their views in light of new or corrected evidence.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    83
    There is no evidence of invisible magic conveyor belts in the center of the Earth.
    That is because they are not in the centre of the earth, are not conveyor belts and are not magic, but are convection cells in the mantle. Not magic, just physics. Are you Jollybear in disguise, or is this just a wind-up? Even creationists do not deny plate tectonics, they just accelerate it to impossible speeds.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Sophomore Total Science's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.C. (U.N.-Occupied Territory)
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    There is no evidence of invisible magic conveyor belts in the center of the Earth.
    That is because they are not in the centre of the earth, are not conveyor belts and are not magic, but are convection cells in the mantle. Not magic, just physics. Are you Jollybear in disguise, or is this just a wind-up? Even creationists do not deny plate tectonics, they just accelerate it to impossible speeds.
    Plate tectonics is a joke. Any four year old can tell you it's a myth by looking at the map. There is no subduction. The Earth is growing.
    "The most likely site for error is in the most fundamental of our beliefs." -- Samuel Warren Carey, geologist, 1988
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,079
    You're trying to get a rise, no one could be so daft. There is plenty of evidence for subduction. It's measurable and observable.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subduction

    Even better are the magneto-pictures from the centre of the ocean floor where the plates spread.



    Best yet, it all hangs together with, wait for it, Evolution! Plate tectonics, the fossil record, magnetostratigraphy, it's all damned consistent.

    To the OP, cheers for that!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Sophomore Total Science's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.C. (U.N.-Occupied Territory)
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by free radical
    There is plenty of evidence for subduction.
    There is none but geologists have always considered no evidence to be plenty.

    It's measurable and observable.
    No. You can't measure or observe an impossibility.

    Retardipedia? Seriously?

    Even better are the magneto-pictures from the centre of the ocean floor where the plates spread.
    Spreading is the exact opposite of subduction.
    "The most likely site for error is in the most fundamental of our beliefs." -- Samuel Warren Carey, geologist, 1988
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,805
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Science
    Plate tectonics is a joke. Any four year old can tell you it's a myth by looking at the map. There is no subduction. The Earth is growing.
    such certainty! such factual assurance! reminds me of the following diagram :

    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Sophomore Total Science's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    N.Y.C. (U.N.-Occupied Territory)
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Science
    Plate tectonics is a joke. Any four year old can tell you it's a myth by looking at the map. There is no subduction. The Earth is growing.
    such certainty! such factual assurance! reminds me of the following diagram :

    Coming from you that's hilarious.
    "The most likely site for error is in the most fundamental of our beliefs." -- Samuel Warren Carey, geologist, 1988
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,079
    "The most likely site for error is in the most fundamental of our beliefs." -- Samuel W. Carey, geologist, 1988

    tell me something, what would you say is the most fundamental of your beliefs?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •