Notices
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: A good description for this forum?

  1. #1 A good description for this forum? 
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    Ok, challenge to everyone. Come up with a good detailed description of this forum. Something with perhaps two sentences that describes everything in a nutshell that will be discussed here. Take a look at some of the other descriptions on some of the other forums for ideas.

    The winner gets a title under their name of their choosing. So long as it's not inappropriate


    Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Sophomore Pikkhaud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    140
    Murder , Theft, Penalty, Genius minds and Crime Sceens that you never dreamd of. Discussing forensic science and how would they operate.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: A good description for this forum? 
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by (In)Sanity
    Ok, challenge to everyone. Come up with a good detailed description of this forum. Something with perhaps two sentences that describes everything in a nutshell that will be discussed here. Take a look at some of the other descriptions on some of the other forums for ideas.

    The winner gets a title under their name of their choosing. So long as it's not inappropriate
    The science that explains the reasons, methodology behind the causes and solving of crime, such explanations include forensic science and psychology to the traditional investigation style approach of the crime scene. From Jack the ripper to Osama Bin Laden this section attempts to understand the world of crime and the minds of criminals using criminal investigation-to establish a scientific understanding of crime itself.

    EDITED
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    Of course we'll have to set a cutoff time and setup a poll for others to vote Let's say Jan 5th 2008.
    Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    945
    A scientific discipline which begins at the end and works back to the start. Using an array of scientific and investigative methods to try and answer the questions Who? and Why? but leaving the question "What should we do with them now?" up for discussion.
    how bout refined to -
    A scientific discipline beginning at the end and working back to the start using Forensic science, Investigative techniques and Criminal Psychology to try and answer the questions Who and Why but leaving the question for the Law to decide "What should we do with them now?”.
    :P

    how many entries, cause i could always work on that

    *i can see my title now*

    Edit - darn, i just missed the deadline for my second try
    Stumble on through life.
    Feel free to correct any false information, which unknown to me, may be included in my posts. (also - let this be a disclaimer)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    I guess I should have stated it would be best to have the description be one in which others will be able to find the forum. Keywords such as forensic science, crime scene, criminal investigation, etc. If people are out searching for a place to discuss such topics in a professional manor then it would be great if they found this forum here, at the top of their list. Keywords that make sense are the best way to do this. Keywords just for the sake of keywords can actually be detracting.

    Hope this helps.
    Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Ph.D. william's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wherever I go, there I am
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by (In)Sanity
    I guess I should have stated it would be best to have the description be one in which others will be able to find the forum. Keywords such as forensic science, crime scene, criminal investigation, etc. If people are out searching for a place to discuss such topics in a professional manor then it would be great if they found this forum here, at the top of their list. Keywords that make sense are the best way to do this. Keywords just for the sake of keywords can actually be detracting.

    Hope this helps.


    Hi IS,
    Is this meant so that this forum pops up in Google searches and the like?
    (Along with, of course, the purpose of describing the subforum for people who may have already found thescienceforum.)

    Cheers
    "... the polhode rolls without slipping on the herpolhode lying in the invariable plane."
    ~Footnote in Goldstein's Mechanics, 3rd ed. p. 202
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by william
    Quote Originally Posted by (In)Sanity
    I guess I should have stated it would be best to have the description be one in which others will be able to find the forum. Keywords such as forensic science, crime scene, criminal investigation, etc. If people are out searching for a place to discuss such topics in a professional manor then it would be great if they found this forum here, at the top of their list. Keywords that make sense are the best way to do this. Keywords just for the sake of keywords can actually be detracting.

    Hope this helps.


    Hi IS,
    Is this meant so that this forum pops up in Google searches and the like?
    (Along with, of course, the purpose of describing the subforum for people who may have already found thescienceforum.)

    Cheers
    That's cool, can we get a combination of the two concepts ?
    Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Maastricht, Netherlands
    Posts
    861
    You don't like my other descriptions either, do you?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by HomoUniversalis
    You don't like my other descriptions either, do you?
    Did you change it ? The original one is not at all bad, just not sure it's optimal. Figured I would see what the natives could come up with.
    Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by goodgod3rd
    A scientific discipline which begins at the end and works back to the start. Using an array of scientific and investigative methods to try and answer the questions Who? and Why? but leaving the question "What should we do with them now?" up for discussion.
    how bout refined to -
    A scientific discipline beginning at the end and working back to the start using Forensic science, Investigative techniques and Criminal Psychology to try and answer the questions Who and Why but leaving the question for the Law to decide "What should we do with them now?”.
    :P

    how many entries, cause i could always work on that

    *i can see my title now*

    Edit - darn, i just missed the deadline for my second try
    May the best man win 8).

    I have a propostion, I think that both mine and goodgod's description are very good. Maybe because there are only two of us, that we can merge our descriptions and share the victory.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    I think we'll extend this a bit longer.
    Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Guest
    I think the current description is excellent, no waffle just straght forward.

    THere again you could add "Including the prevention, detection and solving of crime"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Isotope (In)Sanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa AZ
    Posts
    2,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    I think the current description is excellent, no waffle just straght forward.

    THere again you could add "Including the prevention, detection and solving of crime"
    If that's the general consensus then we'll just leave it.
    Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    The Doctor Quantime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,546
    Quote Originally Posted by (In)Sanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    I think the current description is excellent, no waffle just straght forward.

    THere again you could add "Including the prevention, detection and solving of crime"
    If that's the general consensus then we'll just leave it.
    Noooooooo! I really want a title called "The Doctor" :P :P :P.
    "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". - Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    945
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    I think the current description is excellent, no waffle just straight forward.

    There again you could add "Including the prevention, detection and solving of crime"
    Of course its dose get the point across which is of the up most importances - but is there harm in a little bit of waffle? =)
    Stumble on through life.
    Feel free to correct any false information, which unknown to me, may be included in my posts. (also - let this be a disclaimer)
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •