Notices
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree14Likes
  • 7 Post By Bad Robot
  • 2 Post By Harold14370
  • 4 Post By KALSTER

Thread: Lawyer story of the year

  1. #1 Lawyer story of the year 
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    I got the following in an email and thought I share this very funny story. Proof that not all lawyers are very smart.

    This took place in Charlotte, North Carolina.

    A lawyer purchased a box of 24 of very rare and expensive cigars, then
    insured them against, among other things, fire.

    Within a month, having smoked his entire stockpile of these great cigars,
    the lawyer filed a claim against the insurance company. In his claim, the
    lawyer stated the cigars were lost in a series of small fires.

    The insurance company refused to pay, citing the obvious reason, that the
    man had consumed the cigars in the normal fashion.

    The lawyer sued and WON!

    Delivering the ruling, the judge agreed with the insurance company that
    the claim was frivolous. The judge stated nevertheless, that the lawyer
    held a policy from the company, in which it had warranted that the cigars
    were insurable and also guaranteed that it would insure them against fire,
    without defining what is considered to be unacceptable fire and was
    obligated to pay the claim.

    Rather than endure a lengthy and costly appeal process, the insurance
    company accepted the ruling and paid $15,000 to the lawyer for his loss of
    the cigars which perished in the 'fires.'

    NOW FOR THE BEST PART...

    After the lawyer cashed the check, the insurance company had him arrested
    on 24 counts of ARSON!!! With his own insurance claim and testimony from
    the previous case being used against him, the lawyer was convicted of
    intentionally burning his insured property and was sentenced to 24 months
    in jail and a $24,000 fine.

    This true story won First Place in last year's Criminal Lawyers Award
    contest.



    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Masters Degree LuciDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    660
    Awesome and even better for being true!


    "And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh" Nietzsche.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    This one fairly screamed urban legend. Sure enough.

    snopes.com: Cigar Arson
    KALSTER and Neverfly like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    AI's Have More Fun Bad Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    This one fairly screamed urban legend. Sure enough.

    snopes.com: Cigar Arson
    Good catch Harold, however you did get a good laugh didn't you? Anytime I get an email professing to be the truth, I always doubt it. But whoever thought this one up, did a great job and it was worth sharing.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Masters Degree LuciDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    660
    Shame.....still funny though.
    "And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh" Nietzsche.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,822
    It was funny. I'll give you that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    It was funny. I'll give you that.
    And believable because of America's infamous ridiculous lawsuits.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    I got the following in an email and thought I share this very funny story. Proof that not all lawyers are very smart.

    This took place in Charlotte, North Carolina.

    A lawyer purchased a box of 24 of very rare and expensive cigars, then
    insured them against, among other things, fire.

    Within a month, having smoked his entire stockpile of these great cigars,
    the lawyer filed a claim against the insurance company. In his claim, the
    lawyer stated the cigars were lost in a series of small fires.

    The insurance company refused to pay, citing the obvious reason, that the
    man had consumed the cigars in the normal fashion.

    The lawyer sued and WON!

    Delivering the ruling, the judge agreed with the insurance company that
    the claim was frivolous. The judge stated nevertheless, that the lawyer
    held a policy from the company, in which it had warranted that the cigars
    were insurable and also guaranteed that it would insure them against fire,
    without defining what is considered to be unacceptable fire and was
    obligated to pay the claim.

    Rather than endure a lengthy and costly appeal process, the insurance
    company accepted the ruling and paid $15,000 to the lawyer for his loss of
    the cigars which perished in the 'fires.'

    NOW FOR THE BEST PART...

    After the lawyer cashed the check, the insurance company had him arrested
    on 24 counts of ARSON!!! With his own insurance claim and testimony from
    the previous case being used against him, the lawyer was convicted of
    intentionally burning his insured property and was sentenced to 24 months
    in jail and a $24,000 fine.

    This true story won First Place in last year's Criminal Lawyers Award
    contest.

    What a GREAT STORY!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    I fell for it, too, until I saw Harolds Snopes post.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverfly View Post
    I fell for it, too, until I saw Harolds Snopes post.
    So did I. But STILL it is a great story and very very funny AND appropriate!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Fact is often stranger than fiction.Lol so funny!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    There is a story of the same ilk that purports to take place at Oxford in the years between the two world wars. Citing a rule that had been in place since the 1200s, three students demand that beer be brought to them as they sat an examination. The beer was duly produced, but later the students were fined for failing to wear their swords while on university premises.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    There is a story of the same ilk that purports to take place at Oxford in the years between the two world wars. Citing a rule that had been in place since the 1200s, three students demand that beer be brought to them as they sat an examination. The beer was duly produced, but later the students were fined for failing to wear their swords while on university premises.
    things that make u go hmmmm!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,445
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    There is a story of the same ilk that purports to take place at Oxford in the years between the two world wars. Citing a rule that had been in place since the 1200s, three students demand that beer be brought to them as they sat an examination. The beer was duly produced, but later the students were fined for failing to wear their swords while on university premises.
    SWORDS? Please define. My imagination is quite vivid. Mahalo Mr. John Galt.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,532
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    There is a story of the same ilk that purports to take place at Oxford in the years between the two world wars. Citing a rule that had been in place since the 1200s, three students demand that beer be brought to them as they sat an examination. The beer was duly produced, but later the students were fined for failing to wear their swords while on university premises.
    Well, as Harold beat me to it on the other one: snopes.com: Cakes and Ale for Exam
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Chinese New Year, Feb 4, year of the snake
    By cosmictraveler in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 8th, 2013, 05:38 AM
  2. Need Assistant - Pro Bono Lawyer
    By pmb in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 2nd, 2013, 10:00 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: December 31st, 2010, 03:41 PM
  4. The Story of Stuff
    By AlexP in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 23rd, 2010, 06:13 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •