Notices
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: A Cyberlibel Question.

  1. #1 A Cyberlibel Question. 
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Plutonia
    Posts
    400
    Is posting someones e-mail address without their permission publically a cyberlibel case?



    Only the mind can think twice simultaneously about a subject, but only one thing can inexorably come out of it. A choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    It cannot be libel since their email address in no way defames them. It might be considered an invasion of privacy, but since we all know we have to give that up in order to fight and win the war on terror ( ) there wouldn't be much of a case there either.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Plutonia
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt
    It cannot be libel since their email address in no way defames them. It might be considered an invasion of privacy, but since we all know we have to give that up in order to fight and win the war on terror ( ) there wouldn't be much of a case there either.
    But what if the e-mail is tagged with all sorts of condescending information about that person?
    Only the mind can think twice simultaneously about a subject, but only one thing can inexorably come out of it. A choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    But what if the e-mail is tagged with all sorts of condescending information about that person?
    Whoa! Hold on. You specifically asked about 'publishing' someone's email address, not someone's email. Which did you mean?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Plutonia
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    But what if the e-mail is tagged with all sorts of condescending information about that person?
    Whoa! Hold on. You specifically asked about 'publishing' someone's email address, not someone's email. Which did you mean?
    the latter.

    My ex-boyfriend has published online my email address and other personal details asking people to spam me. I feel this is not only an invasion or deformation of my rights, but also one that is both damaging to my health and also my safety.
    Only the mind can think twice simultaneously about a subject, but only one thing can inexorably come out of it. A choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    That sounds illegal, but this could vary from country to country. I suggest you consult a lawyer.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Plutonia
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt
    That sounds illegal, but this could vary from country to country. I suggest you consult a lawyer.
    Well, i thought so, and i am consulting advice as we speak. As a side note, i live in the UK... You are sure this is illegal? I hope it is, because i wish to take this further. He is an immature little prick who deserves to be punnished for this breach of not only confidentiality, but as i said, my privacy and safety.
    Only the mind can think twice simultaneously about a subject, but only one thing can inexorably come out of it. A choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    I would definitely think you have a case in the UK. Also solicitors costs need not be that high, especially at the point of simply getting advice. It may be possible to get a court order prohibiting him from repeating these actions. If you wished to pursue him for damages in a civil action, that would be a whole other matter and could be very expensive.

    Do you think you might be at any physical risk from him? If so it might be worth expressing your concerns to the local police. They won't do anything, but it would be worth having it on record.

    Please note these suggestions are 'common sense' ones. I have zero legal training and obviously you should go with whatever your solicitor advises, if it makes sense to you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    440
    You can bring a private action against this person, be warned, you will probably not succeed but run out of money first. The main problem is proof, it would be difficult to prove who used the pc at the time the email was sent. I suggest you change your email address and ignore him.

    Sadly unless you can prove that any personal information you gave him was not for publication on the internet you will just have to live with it. In the UK the laws of slander and libel are not for the ordinary mortal but for those who can afford the £1/2M or so fees knowing they may only get back a single penny (As elton John will tell you).

    Do not retaliate, as this is always seen as 'six of one half a dozen of the other' Afriend of mine who fell out with his brother had a whole website devoted to him showing doctored pictures of his family members in compromising positions, even his ten year old son with a male adult. My mate took prints of these pictures to the police station and complained, he was promptly arrested for the picture of his own son with the male porn star! - the guy who actually put up the site claimed that others had tampered with his site and it was nothing to do with him. My chum was given a caution the real offender had no action taken against him other than the police borrowing his pc for a week or two (as was also my mate's pc).

    And the brit cops wonder why the public no longer respect them.....

    Seriously, change your email and move on, he is not likely to actually encourage others to bombard you with emails, they'll all have better things to do, it's more likely they'll 'spam him' anyway. The worst he can do is get your email published on a list used by those who send out junk mail.


    Incidentally emails cannot be libelous whatever their content, since they are sent to individuals. Llibel is reserved for mass media (even then it's not usually clear cut)


    Oh, I notice you say 'has published online' - well you can appeal to the owner of the site, facebook or whatever, often it can be against the rules, if you need someone to anonymously complain PM me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Plutonia
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt
    I would definitely think you have a case in the UK. Also solicitors costs need not be that high, especially at the point of simply getting advice. It may be possible to get a court order prohibiting him from repeating these actions. If you wished to pursue him for damages in a civil action, that would be a whole other matter and could be very expensive.

    Do you think you might be at any physical risk from him? If so it might be worth expressing your concerns to the local police. They won't do anything, but it would be worth having it on record.

    Please note these suggestions are 'common sense' ones. I have zero legal training and obviously you should go with whatever your solicitor advises, if it makes sense to you.
    Yes, i do think this town could yield me a danger... it's the nature of this town youy see. I could say terrible things about this towns history which could reflect that. Naturally, yes , i feel i could be in danger of such closetid mindness.

    I have already reported his post in YOUTUBE to the police, and now i am trying to seek legal advice.

    Please note these suggestions are 'common sense' ones. I have zero legal training and obviously you should go with whatever your solicitor advises, if it makes sense to you

    No probs, i know.
    Only the mind can think twice simultaneously about a subject, but only one thing can inexorably come out of it. A choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Plutonia
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    You can bring a private action against this person, be warned, you will probably not succeed but run out of money first. The main problem is proof, it would be difficult to prove who used the pc at the time the email was sent. I suggest you change your email address and ignore him.

    Sadly unless you can prove that any personal information you gave him was not for publication on the internet you will just have to live with it. In the UK the laws of slander and libel are not for the ordinary mortal but for those who can afford the £1/2M or so fees knowing they may only get back a single penny (As elton John will tell you).

    Do not retaliate, as this is always seen as 'six of one half a dozen of the other' Afriend of mine who fell out with his brother had a whole website devoted to him showing doctored pictures of his family members in compromising positions, even his ten year old son with a male adult. My mate took prints of these pictures to the police station and complained, he was promptly arrested for the picture of his own son with the male porn star! - the guy who actually put up the site claimed that others had tampered with his site and it was nothing to do with him. My chum was given a caution the real offender had no action taken against him other than the police borrowing his pc for a week or two (as was also my mate's pc).

    And the brit cops wonder why the public no longer respect them.....

    Seriously, change your email and move on, he is not likely to actually encourage others to bombard you with emails, they'll all have better things to do, it's more likely they'll 'spam him' anyway. The worst he can do is get your email published on a list used by those who send out junk mail.


    Incidentally emails cannot be libelous whatever their content, since they are sent to individuals. Llibel is reserved for mass media (even then it's not usually clear cut)


    Oh, I notice you say 'has published online' - well you can appeal to the owner of the site, facebook or whatever, often it can be against the rules, if you need someone to anonymously complain PM me.
    Let's just say... money is not a problem.
    Only the mind can think twice simultaneously about a subject, but only one thing can inexorably come out of it. A choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Plutonia
    Posts
    400
    Incidentally emails cannot be libelous whatever their content, since they are sent to individuals. Llibel is reserved for mass media (even then it's not usually clear cut)

    In fact, my email was published by him on YOUTUBE, so i guess it is libel then?
    Only the mind can think twice simultaneously about a subject, but only one thing can inexorably come out of it. A choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    440
    You tube is not (yet) so far as I know 'the mass media' please, if you are going to say ridiculous things like "Money is not a problem" after I have spent some time telling you the reality of the situation, then the replies you will get will be "Move away, - especially when you indicate you are afraid of your own town!

    Now as I said and irrespective of what others say your best bet is to simply change your email, any passwords you have for any internet services (as he may be able to guess them) - and move on you will NOT succeed in a prosecution,
    Though I am sure your lawyer will happily take a large fee before you find this out. If your solicitor believes you have a case ask him for a "NO WIN NO FEE" arrangement and see how fast his/her confidence shrinks........

    http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/it&law/c10_main.htm
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,256
    I think at least a restraining order should be possible.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    440
    In the uk it will most probably be dealt with by issuing a harrassment order, if this is broken (within 12 months) then they might give a caution, the third offence might carry a small fine, get the idea?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Plutonia
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    You tube is not (yet) so far as I know 'the mass media' please, if you are going to say ridiculous things like "Money is not a problem" after I have spent some time telling you the reality of the situation, then the replies you will get will be "Move away, - especially when you indicate you are afraid of your own town!

    Now as I said and irrespective of what others say your best bet is to simply change your email, any passwords you have for any internet services (as he may be able to guess them) - and move on you will NOT succeed in a prosecution,
    Though I am sure your lawyer will happily take a large fee before you find this out. If your solicitor believes you have a case ask him for a "NO WIN NO FEE" arrangement and see how fast his/her confidence shrinks........

    http://www.law.ed.ac.uk/it&law/c10_main.htm
    No, i was not being ridiculous at all, but you certainly have believing i can move away from a town so willy-nilly. What about my responsibilities to family?

    Did you take such a thing into account?
    Only the mind can think twice simultaneously about a subject, but only one thing can inexorably come out of it. A choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    No, i was not being ridiculous at all, ?
    Megabrain has already pointed out the cost of pursuing a civil action could run into millions of pounds. You have stated money is not a problem. Unless you have access to personal funds of say five million pounds, then money is a problem and to declare otherwise is ridiculous.

    Now I rather think you do not have access to this level of funding. If you did you would also have access to much better advice than you can pick up from some random characters on an internet forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    but you certainly have believing i can move away from a town so willy-nilly.
    What is willy-nilly about moving away from somewhere you feel you are not safe? What is willy-nilly about implenting, after due thought and diligence, a plan to increase your safety, put your mind at ease and improve the quality of your life? People move from towns, countries and continents all the time. There is no big deal. Or are you frightened of change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    What about my responsibilities to family?
    Did you take such a thing into account?
    Manynames, how can we take such things into account if you have not told us about them. I have had working for me in the past individuals from the Indian sub-continent who were discharging their responsibilities to their family by working in a foreign land.
    Do your family responsibilies require that you be in that town? Could you discharge them from elsewhere? Could other family members take a larger share of those responsibilites to ease the load on you? Be inventive.

    You asked for advice. We've tried to give it. But the impression I get is that you are snapping at us for not having understood the big picture when you have not told us the big picture. That's a risky path to take when you are looking for help.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Plutonia
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    No, i was not being ridiculous at all, ?
    Megabrain has already pointed out the cost of pursuing a civil action could run into millions of pounds. You have stated money is not a problem. Unless you have access to personal funds of say five million pounds, then money is a problem and to declare otherwise is ridiculous.

    Now I rather think you do not have access to this level of funding. If you did you would also have access to much better advice than you can pick up from some random characters on an internet forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    but you certainly have believing i can move away from a town so willy-nilly.
    What is willy-nilly about moving away from somewhere you feel you are not safe? What is willy-nilly about implenting, after due thought and diligence, a plan to increase your safety, put your mind at ease and improve the quality of your life? People move from towns, countries and continents all the time. There is no big deal. Or are you frightened of change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    What about my responsibilities to family?
    Did you take such a thing into account?
    Manynames, how can we take such things into account if you have not told us about them. I have had working for me in the past individuals from the Indian sub-continent who were discharging their responsibilities to their family by working in a foreign land.
    Do your family responsibilies require that you be in that town? Could you discharge them from elsewhere? Could other family members take a larger share of those responsibilites to ease the load on you? Be inventive.

    You asked for advice. We've tried to give it. But the impression I get is that you are snapping at us for not having understood the big picture when you have not told us the big picture. That's a risky path to take when you are looking for help.
    Oh please....

    To your first proposition: In the UK there are many services that do not take money off you in court, even with the help of lawyers because they are payed by the ''state''. The UK has specific financial laws which are much different to those found in the US, as i am sure you might have known.

    To your third statement: The willy-nilly part i speak of, is answered in the following qoutation of mine you yourself qouted.

    To your final statement: I don't need to share all details, however, it should be known that one investigates all possibilities without making claims on what someone ''should do'' -- if you don't, then you shouldn't make any statements whatsoever, if you are not willing to decisively and implorably take into consideration all accounts of possible conditions. He took it as fact that i can simply move away. What gave him this idea, escapes me, and why you stook up for him, escapes me more.
    Only the mind can think twice simultaneously about a subject, but only one thing can inexorably come out of it. A choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    I was going to say: As you wish. I hope it works out for you.
    That would be the right way to exit gracefully.

    In the full knowledge and expectation that I'll be rightly slapped down for this and my post deleted or edited (And moderator, please, all or nothing.) here is an alternative ending.

    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    He took it as fact that i can simply move away. What gave him this idea, escapes me, and why you stook up for him, escapes me more.
    The vast majority of people are mobile. The default position is mobility. We are not mind readers. He offers you a suggestion. That he is not in full possession of the facts is by your choice. Please do not be so rude as to criticse his recommendation because you failed to provide those facts. His suggestion was a reasonable one. Your response was not.

    Why did I stick up for him? Because in your response you came across as one hell of a self centred bitch. People are taking their time to offer the best advice they can think of for no benefit to themselves other than the pleasure of helping a fellow human. And you come back with snappy, egocentric, bitchy remarks.

    You may be going throug a rough time. Several of us have sympathised with you over that. It does not excuse rudeness to those who are offering help. Maybe it's time you gave some thought to growing up.

    I'm out of here now. I dare say you will, to your loss, dismiss these remarks as irrelevant, or demented. That is your right. I still wish you good luck, but remain fully aware you probably need a lot more than luck to set matters right and so far show little sign of possesing what is required.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Plutonia
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt
    I was going to say: As you wish. I hope it works out for you.
    That would be the right way to exit gracefully.

    In the full knowledge and expectation that I'll be rightly slapped down for this and my post deleted or edited (And moderator, please, all or nothing.) here is an alternative ending.

    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    He took it as fact that i can simply move away. What gave him this idea, escapes me, and why you stook up for him, escapes me more.
    The vast majority of people are mobile. The default position is mobility. We are not mind readers. He offers you a suggestion. That he is not in full possession of the facts is by your choice. Please do not be so rude as to criticse his recommendation because you failed to provide those facts. His suggestion was a reasonable one. Your response was not.

    Why did I stick up for him? Because in your response you came across as one hell of a self centred bitch. People are taking their time to offer the best advice they can think of for no benefit to themselves other than the pleasure of helping a fellow human. And you come back with snappy, egocentric, bitchy remarks.

    You may be going throug a rough time. Several of us have sympathised with you over that. It does not excuse rudeness to those who are offering help. Maybe it's time you gave some thought to growing up.

    I'm out of here now. I dare say you will, to your loss, dismiss these remarks as irrelevant, or demented. That is your right. I still wish you good luck, but remain fully aware you probably need a lot more than luck to set matters right and so far show little sign of possesing what is required.
    I appreciate your help, however i must argue strongly that i do not even understand where the ''mobility part'' of this comes into play. I am also insulted that you feel i am ''self-centered'' because i think in all arrays before making any decision.
    Only the mind can think twice simultaneously about a subject, but only one thing can inexorably come out of it. A choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Plutonia
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt
    I was going to say: As you wish. I hope it works out for you.
    That would be the right way to exit gracefully.

    In the full knowledge and expectation that I'll be rightly slapped down for this and my post deleted or edited (And moderator, please, all or nothing.) here is an alternative ending.

    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    He took it as fact that i can simply move away. What gave him this idea, escapes me, and why you stook up for him, escapes me more.
    The vast majority of people are mobile. The default position is mobility. We are not mind readers. He offers you a suggestion. That he is not in full possession of the facts is by your choice. Please do not be so rude as to criticse his recommendation because you failed to provide those facts. His suggestion was a reasonable one. Your response was not.

    Why did I stick up for him? Because in your response you came across as one hell of a self centred bitch. People are taking their time to offer the best advice they can think of for no benefit to themselves other than the pleasure of helping a fellow human. And you come back with snappy, egocentric, bitchy remarks.

    You may be going throug a rough time. Several of us have sympathised with you over that. It does not excuse rudeness to those who are offering help. Maybe it's time you gave some thought to growing up.

    I'm out of here now. I dare say you will, to your loss, dismiss these remarks as irrelevant, or demented. That is your right. I still wish you good luck, but remain fully aware you probably need a lot more than luck to set matters right and so far show little sign of possesing what is required.
    I appreciate your help, however i must argue strongly that i do not even understand where the ''mobility part'' of this comes into play. I am also insulted that you feel i am ''self-centered'' because i think in all arrays before making any decision.
    And i wasn not being rude. Rudeness is for children, i was making a point. A point supported on the fact someone should not just read something and assume. If you find that an insult, i apologize.
    Only the mind can think twice simultaneously about a subject, but only one thing can inexorably come out of it. A choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    440
    You asked for advice, I may be better read than the average Brit in matters of law,
    I do not use solicitors I handle all my own legal matters
    indeed on 4 occasions I attended court as a lay representative for 2 familiy
    members, I was successful at each occasion, this does not make me a lawyer
    but I do understand the difference between 'Law' and 'Justice' - the law may
    well say you are being treated unfairly, it may even go so far as to say the
    treatment against you is illegal BUT unless such treatment is criminal, ie
    some statute has been broken, the state will not persue an action.

    In this case as I stated before you cannot prove who placed such defamatory
    remarks on the net, you may well be certain in your heart who did what, you
    may have even seen them but that would then be your word against that of another.

    The DPP will only persue an action where it is almost certain to succeed. The
    courts are overrun with far more important issues than what it would see as a
    lover's tiff (however harsh that may seem to you)

    Now civil law...

    This leaves you with a private prosecution for harrassment, suppose you succeed,
    the offender would then be issued with an anti-harrassment order which will last
    around 12 months (if I remember correctly) - now suppose he breaks this?
    you are back to square one, you could go to the police where you will have to prove
    beyond all doubt that the order was broken, then they will have to convince tho DPP
    who will then assess it's importance against those of Murderers, robbers, rapists,
    muggers, burglars, and other lovers tiffs and duly file it accordingly.

    You also have the option of a high court libel action (these are NOT bought by the
    police nor are they funded by the state!)

    you CANNOT just bring a libel action, if a barrister were to present your case as
    it is here to the high court he would most probably be dismissed from the bar, there
    has to be a real chance of it's success, the action has to be paid for, IF the person
    you are pursuing cannot afford the costs he may be required to to pay a token sum such
    as a pound or even a penny - you will pay the rest. Damages sometimes damages of 1
    penny are awarded, this has a special significance in laww, it indicates the the person
    bringing the action was agrieved BUT the court feels the whole thing is so trivial that
    it will not demand a severe penalty the upshot is the libel is upheld BUT the person
    bringing the prosecution (the plaintiff) pays the fees. Not to mention what happens
    if the case goes against you!


    The law is black and white either an action is illegal (where a crime is committed
    with 'mens rea' ) or it is legal ie where no statute of law exists to the contrary.

    Justice is different, there are many definitions, my favourite is my own 'Justice
    is the administration of the law(statute) to the will of the people"

    At the end of the day if you have done ANYTHING, however slight to 'stir up' this guy
    you will get nowhere, indeed in this forum I quote " He is an immature little prick "
    that alone will totally destroy any and every chance you might have had of persuing him legally.

    Unless you would like me to check up on a specific point of law I do not see I can offer you
    any further advice.


    As a post script, read this, this chap bought a libel action against associated press on a 'pay as you go' arrangement, this means what it says, every few days he had to pay the court in advance to sit his case. Now all the newspaper did was stall the proceedings, throw in lots of extra paper etc and generally force the case way beyond it's expected length, then the guy ran out of money, thus he has lost everything and still has not had his own way, it's called 'chicken' oin legal circles, it's why these cases go on for so long and why so many are 'settled out of court'
    if you get so far as to take your mate to court his legal team will mince yours, he has nothing to lose.


    http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story....sectioncode=1#


    14 July 2008

    By Roger Pearson

    Top composer, Keith Burstein was today declared bankrupt at Londonís High Court in respect of £67,000 legal costs run up by Associated Newspapers in defending a test case libel action he brought against the London Evening Standard over a review of one of his operas.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Plutonia
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    You asked for advice, I may be better read than the average Brit in matters of law,
    I do not use solicitors I handle all my own legal matters
    indeed on 4 occasions I attended court as a lay representative for 2 familiy
    members, I was successful at each occasion, this does not make me a lawyer
    but I do understand the difference between 'Law' and 'Justice' - the law may
    well say you are being treated unfairly, it may even go so far as to say the
    treatment against you is illegal BUT unless such treatment is criminal, ie
    some statute has been broken, the state will not persue an action.

    In this case as I stated before you cannot prove who placed such defamatory
    remarks on the net, you may well be certain in your heart who did what, you
    may have even seen them but that would then be your word against that of another.

    The DPP will only persue an action where it is almost certain to succeed. The
    courts are overrun with far more important issues than what it would see as a
    lover's tiff (however harsh that may seem to you)

    Now civil law...

    This leaves you with a private prosecution for harrassment, suppose you succeed,
    the offender would then be issued with an anti-harrassment order which will last
    around 12 months (if I remember correctly) - now suppose he breaks this?
    you are back to square one, you could go to the police where you will have to prove
    beyond all doubt that the order was broken, then they will have to convince tho DPP
    who will then assess it's importance against those of Murderers, robbers, rapists,
    muggers, burglars, and other lovers tiffs and duly file it accordingly.

    You also have the option of a high court libel action (these are NOT bought by the
    police nor are they funded by the state!)

    you CANNOT just bring a libel action, if a barrister were to present your case as
    it is here to the high court he would most probably be dismissed from the bar, there
    has to be a real chance of it's success, the action has to be paid for, IF the person
    you are pursuing cannot afford the costs he may be required to to pay a token sum such
    as a pound or even a penny - you will pay the rest. Damages sometimes damages of 1
    penny are awarded, this has a special significance in laww, it indicates the the person
    bringing the action was agrieved BUT the court feels the whole thing is so trivial that
    it will not demand a severe penalty the upshot is the libel is upheld BUT the person
    bringing the prosecution (the plaintiff) pays the fees. Not to mention what happens
    if the case goes against you!


    The law is black and white either an action is illegal (where a crime is committed
    with 'mens rea' ) or it is legal ie where no statute of law exists to the contrary.

    Justice is different, there are many definitions, my favourite is my own 'Justice
    is the administration of the law(statute) to the will of the people"

    At the end of the day if you have done ANYTHING, however slight to 'stir up' this guy
    you will get nowhere, indeed in this forum I quote " He is an immature little prick "
    that alone will totally destroy any and every chance you might have had of persuing him legally.

    Unless you would like me to check up on a specific point of law I do not see I can offer you
    any further advice.


    As a post script, read this, this chap bought a libel action against associated press on a 'pay as you go' arrangement, this means what it says, every few days he had to pay the court in advance to sit his case. Now all the newspaper did was stall the proceedings, throw in lots of extra paper etc and generally force the case way beyond it's expected length, then the guy ran out of money, thus he has lost everything and still has not had his own way, it's called 'chicken' oin legal circles, it's why these cases go on for so long and why so many are 'settled out of court'
    if you get so far as to take your mate to court his legal team will mince yours, he has nothing to lose.


    http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story....sectioncode=1#


    14 July 2008

    By Roger Pearson

    Top composer, Keith Burstein was today declared bankrupt at Londonís High Court in respect of £67,000 legal costs run up by Associated Newspapers in defending a test case libel action he brought against the London Evening Standard over a review of one of his operas.
    Impressive yet also inspiring. You should take need to job in this area.
    Only the mind can think twice simultaneously about a subject, but only one thing can inexorably come out of it. A choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    440
    Could you repeat that (or better still justr edit it) into something a little more grammatically correct?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Plutonia
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Could you repeat that (or better still justr edit it) into something a little more grammatically correct?
    Oh... do i really need to? It's such a drag that way.
    Only the mind can think twice simultaneously about a subject, but only one thing can inexorably come out of it. A choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    I appreciate your help, however i must argue strongly that i do not even understand where the ''mobility part'' of this comes into play.
    You have made a huge song and dance about moving away from where you live. You have presented it as if it were unimaginable. More than that you have lambasted Megabrain for having proposed it.

    Get real. Grow up. People are mobile. People move town, country and continent all the time. What the hell makes you so special that you can't do that? (Oh, that's right. Family commitments. We were meant to guess that.)

    In short the mobility part comes into play because you made it an issue, by implying that mobility was a bizarre characterisitic. It isn't.

    I am also insulted that you feel i am ''self-centered'' because i think in all arrays before making any decision.
    What does that mean, 'think in all arrays'.

    Self centred? Yes, definitely. Your unreasonable expectation that Megabrain should have anticipated your family commitments demonstrates clearly that you cannot, certainly do not, imagine anyone in a situation different from yours. Insulted? The truth often hurts.

    /Self censorhsip invoked/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Plutonia
    Posts
    400
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    I appreciate your help, however i must argue strongly that i do not even understand where the ''mobility part'' of this comes into play.
    You have made a huge song and dance about moving away from where you live. You have presented it as if it were unimaginable. More than that you have lambasted Megabrain for having proposed it.

    Get real. Grow up. People are mobile. People move town, country and continent all the time. What the hell makes you so special that you can't do that? (Oh, that's right. Family commitments. We were meant to guess that.)

    In short the mobility part comes into play because you made it an issue, by implying that mobility was a bizarre characterisitic. It isn't.

    I am also insulted that you feel i am ''self-centered'' because i think in all arrays before making any decision.
    What does that mean, 'think in all arrays'.

    Self centred? Yes, definitely. Your unreasonable expectation that Megabrain should have anticipated your family commitments demonstrates clearly that you cannot, certainly do not, imagine anyone in a situation different from yours. Insulted? The truth often hurts.

    /Self censorhsip invoked/
    Oh right... mobile as in moving away... well i have expressed that is an impossibility. Absolutely impossible. Nothing about growing up and moving on. Your impunity towards this subject just seems to me as though you yourself cannot and do not realize that my responsibilities here degrade that possibility.

    Why, oh why is this so hard to understand?
    Only the mind can think twice simultaneously about a subject, but only one thing can inexorably come out of it. A choice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    Oh right... mobile as in moving away...
    I am not asking this in order to be snide and sarcastic. I am genuinely curious. Are you dyslexic, or do you have any other form of reading comprehension difficulties? If so people would be much more sympathetic to some of your postings.
    I understand you to live in the UK. I therefore understand you to be a native English speaker. You claim a knowledge of physics, so I therefore understand you to be educated. How then could you have failed to have heard the expression mobility in relation to the ease with which people can move residence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manynames
    Absolutely impossible. Nothing about growing up and moving on. Your impunity towards this subject just seems to me as though you yourself cannot and do not realize that my responsibilities here degrade that possibility.
    Impunity? Degrade? Your use of words is bewilderingly inaccurate.

    We now fully understand that you have some form of family commitment that prohibits you leaving home. This is unusual. The vast majority of people do not have such commitments. The default presumption is that, unless someone says otherwise, that they would have that as an option. You did not make us aware of that. We only became aware of it when you through a hissy fit at the very suggestion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Professor arKane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    1,181
    Manynames

    I read through all the responses and have a possible solution for you to consider.

    I take it you don't think much of this guy and you think what he's done with you is technically outside the law even if it doesn't rank very high against all the other crimes going on. If you know him to be a law breaker, maybe his dealings with other people are even more telling than what he's done with you.

    What do you think a private investigator would find out about him? Any chance you could put him away for something else he's done that you may not know about yet? Hey, just a thought and a much cheaper one than anything else you might do.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •