Notices
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Source code

  1. #1 Source code 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    3
    Hello everyone,

    I'm new to this forum but I would just like to ask a question.

    When you you go on a social media platform (Facebook) and you right click to go on the source code you get a long page of numbers and letters. There are many websites out there that say the "lastactivetime" source code refers to the people who have recently viewed your profile. Is this really the case? And if not, what does it actually represent?

    I'm asking because I would like to remain as anonymous as possible and control who has access to my information etc..


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Bullshit Intolerant PhDemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
    Posts
    4,422
    If you are concerned about who has access to your information just be careful what information you post on Facebook etc. They are often targets for hackers and using your information is one of the ways they make money, although the data should be anonymised and aggregated.

    You might find this article useful.

    Is Facebook sharing your personal information? | HowStuffWorks


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordchewy99 View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I'm new to this forum but I would just like to ask a question.

    When you you go on a social media platform (Facebook) and you right click to go on the source code you get a long page of numbers and letters. There are many websites out there that say the "lastactivetime" source code refers to the people who have recently viewed your profile. Is this really the case? And if not, what does it actually represent?

    I'm asking because I would like to remain as anonymous as possible and control who has access to my information etc..
    The website only has access to information you provide. Looking at the source code isn't going to tell you much (unless you are a web developer). Something called "lastactivetime" probably refers to the last time you logged in or posted something.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordchewy99 View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I'm new to this forum but I would just like to ask a question.

    When you you go on a social media platform (Facebook) and you right click to go on the source code you get a long page of numbers and letters. There are many websites out there that say the "lastactivetime" source code refers to the people who have recently viewed your profile. Is this really the case? And if not, what does it actually represent?

    I'm asking because I would like to remain as anonymous as possible and control who has access to my information etc..
    The website only has access to information you provide. Looking at the source code isn't going to tell you much (unless you are a web developer). Something called "lastactivetime" probably refers to the last time you logged in or posted something.
    When I go on my facebook profile and I right click source code, I press cntrl + F and then I write lastactivetimes. You see a bunchy of Facebook IDs next to this and I've noticed that I do not know a good amount of people that show up even though all my settings are on private mode. This is why I'm thinking that it might show the people that have visited my account.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,750
    I think I would draw a similar conclusion(but I am a bit paranoid wrt privacy)

    You can surely go to the facebook pages of any or all of the usernames that seem to have visited your page to try and ascertain how they ended up there on your page if they did indeed

    I have never been familiar with privacy settings on facebook so I can't be too helpful.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordchewy99 View Post
    [When I go on my facebook profile and I right click source code, I press cntrl + F and then I write lastactivetimes. You see a bunchy of Facebook IDs next to this and I've noticed that I do not know a good amount of people that show up even though all my settings are on private mode. This is why I'm thinking that it might show the people that have visited my account.
    It might do. Or it could be just the most recently active 10 people or something.

    But why does it matter? Even if it tells you the most recent people to look at your profile, why do you care?

    OK. I just logged into Facebook and had a look. This is a list of people who are available in the Chat window.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    3
    No it doesn't mean that at all, Strange. When I go on "lastactivetimes" on my Facebook profile source code, there are Facebook IDs who I have never been friends with and never spoke to. And the reason I'm concerned is because I'm concerned that strangers still have access to my Facebook profile although I set all ny settings to "friends" only. You can never be too secure online, you know.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,489
    OK. If you had said you weren't interested in the answers it would have saved a lot of time. Maybe you should just delete your Facebook account if you are that bothered. Can't be too careful.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    5
    Like Facebook is going to delete your profile just because you tell them to. Well at least they may keep it hidden from the general public if you tell them to delete your profile.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Programming code
    By Theinterested in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 4th, 2013, 01:52 AM
  2. Binary Code
    By guymillion in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2013, 06:15 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 2nd, 2012, 09:14 AM
  4. Chunks of text in HTML source code
    By CompGeek30 in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 12th, 2011, 07:23 AM
  5. Source Code
    By blacksage in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 24th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •