Notices
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Old Laptop

  1. #1 Old Laptop 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kelowna
    Posts
    27
    Well Hello everyone. I have been lurking here and there and have a question of my own. I have an older laptop not really in use as it is falling apart; 2003 was when it was purchased. I was wondering how would I go about enabling wireless capabilities on it, bearing in mind it has no built in wireless hardware. What are the cheapest and most efficient means by which this is accomplished. Also the C.D drive does not work so installing software will be tricky, I have an iso maker and can borrow a flash drive. Also I don't plan on getting my own internet connection I am planning on using my schools wireless.

    Any responses would be appreciated.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: Old Laptop 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by psynapse
    Well Hello everyone. I have been lurking here and there and have a question of my own. I have an older laptop not really in use as it is falling apart; 2003 was when it was purchased. I was wondering how would I go about enabling wireless capabilities on it, bearing in mind it has no built in wireless hardware. What are the cheapest and most efficient means by which this is accomplished. Also the C.D drive does not work so installing software will be tricky, I have an iso maker and can borrow a flash drive. Also I don't plan on getting my own internet connection I am planning on using my schools wireless.

    Any responses would be appreciated.
    Well you get whats called a wireless PCMCIA Card providing that you have a PCMCIA card slot, which i think it would, thats the only way i think that you could do it.


    Shorty
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kelowna
    Posts
    27
    How much would that cost and is this the only option?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by shorty
    Quote Originally Posted by psynapse
    How much would that cost and is this the only option?
    Well I cant really tell you how much its gonna cost you because i don't know the computer shops in your area but, ask around at some computer shops and also make sure that the Laptop does have a PCMCIA slot, the cheapest I have picked up a card from is from eBay and it was $50 (Australian Dollars) but I'm not sure how much it would cost from a computer shop...hope this helps
    OR you could get a USB Wireless device
    Shorty
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,417
    As I understand it PCMCIA (or Personal Computer Memory Card Interface Association - incase anyone was wondering what it stood for) cards are for 3G and use the cellular networks. I could be wrong though !!
    I would suggest purchasing a wireless USB device, I would also suggest purchasing a cheap external usb dvd/cd drive to load your software.

    Both kits should cost no more than £50 each.

    Dont buy from PC World though, (if you live in the UK) - They are ridiculously over-priced and even the technicians know very little about computers. Example: I went into PC world the other day looking for a case, PC World has warehouses the size of Greenland but seem to sell suprisingly little. They only sold 4 different PC Cases. I asked a member of the staff which would be the quietest pc case. (not a difficult thing to understand - simply the best case for drowning out noise of fans.) They replied..."Well, it depends on what type of processor you have" - "No, it doesn't!" I said. "Oh, okay she said, Ill have to go and ask a technician." Needless to say the bogus technician didnt know either.

    The only reason I ever go into PC World lately is to ask them questions about components they sell that I know they would not be knowledgable enough to answer, and when they dont know the answer I always reply with "Oh, Im sorry, I thought you worked here!"

    Evil Okay.
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kelowna
    Posts
    27
    I live in B.C Canada so I will have to go to future shop.
    I like the sounds of the USB wireless adapter. I will look into it after classes today.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kelowna
    Posts
    27
    It refuses to charge!

    The power cord is warm and the lights refuse to go on even though I am certain it is getting electricity because the stupid AC DC thing is warm.

    Other than losing my head and smashing everything what are my options?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by psynapse
    It refuses to charge!

    The power cord is warm and the lights refuse to go on even though I am certain it is getting electricity because the stupid AC DC thing is warm.

    Other than losing my head and smashing everything what are my options?
    Buy a new battery, but just incase its not the battery, take your laaptop in for repairs.
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins
    As I understand it PCMCIA (or Personal Computer Memory Card Interface Association - incase anyone was wondering what it stood for) cards are for 3G and use the cellular networks. I could be wrong though !!
    Pcmcia was developed as a simple miniature expansion slot based on the ISA architecture, you ould buy cards for modems, camera memory readers, plug in goodies...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins
    As I understand it PCMCIA (or Personal Computer Memory Card Interface Association - incase anyone was wondering what it stood for) cards are for 3G and use the cellular networks. I could be wrong though !!
    Pcmcia was developed as a simple miniature expansion slot based on the ISA architecture, you ould buy cards for modems, camera memory readers, plug in goodies...
    I know the Amiga 600 (god bless the Amiga!!!) had PCMCIA slot which was used for extra memory.
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •