Notices
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By monica52

Thread: Backing up your computer

  1. #1 Backing up your computer 
    Forum Professor mmatt9876's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,073
    I have Windows 8. How do I back up my computer? Do I need an external hard drive?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    I have Windows 8. How do I back up my computer? Do I need an external hard drive?
    Really depends how much you want to save. If you want it all including the operation system and all files than your best strategy is probably another drive, either internal or external. If, however you are just saving personal files, such as emails, music or a few pictures, you might be able to use an USB stick, a burned CD/DVD or even one of the cloud services that exit. About the only things I wouldn't recommend is saving it to another partition of the same drive.


    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    690
    Id listen to lynx if I were you. Me I store all my data on external hard drives including all installation files. Its a pain when your file copies dont validate correctly though. So make sure to include images of all software cases and CD keys on your external hard drive for future reference. I also store all my videos and music to hard drive as well with images. I find that Compact disks over 10 years old need to be saved to file with compilers/media players. Generally these get sent for restoration and or archived. Though its rare you actually have to prove anything people sometimes they still don't believe you anyway. I had a friend of mine lost a hard drive and a whole years work in one night when the external hard drive was damaged so ensure you have a copy on your computer as well in case anything happens to the external hard drive.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Western US
    Posts
    2,819
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    I have Windows 8. How do I back up my computer? Do I need an external hard drive?
    Well, backing up on the same drive that holds the information you're trying to back up is a poor idea, so yes, you will need to store the backup on an external device. Whether that involves magnetic domains on spinning disks, optical pits on spinning discs, or tunneling electrons in non-moving media is up to you.

    There are lots of tools for doing backups, if by "backup" you mean something a bit more sophisticated than simply copying user files. If you want to restore your system after a crash, for example, you'll need some additional software for that. I have used Macrium Reflect for years with happy results. And it is free. I'm sure others here have their own favorites, but that's mine.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    690
    Weird facts:you wont ever watch all the tv shows since tv shows dont get deleted they get stored somewhere. You could sit down today and start watching tv and if you dont stop watching tv until you have seen every episode youd die first and we still make tv. There is also that much already recorded music. We arent there with video games yet.... nearly.
    Last edited by fiveworlds; January 20th, 2014 at 09:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    I have Windows 8. How do I back up my computer? Do I need an external hard drive?
    Windows 7 and Windows 8 comes with a built-in backup program. Under Windows 8, Windows 7 File Recovery is located in the control panel. The program is design to backup system and data file to another hard drive.





    How to Use Windows 7′s Backup Tools in Windows 8
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Sophomore jakesyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    116
    So much cheaper to do a cloud backup
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    I have Windows 8. How do I back up my computer? Do I need an external hard drive?
    Windows 7 and Windows 8 comes with a built-in backup program. Under Windows 8, Windows 7 File Recovery is located in the control panel. The program is design to backup system and data file to another hard drive.How to Use Windows 7′s Backup Tools in Windows 8
    "The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error; but who does strive to do deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    If you are only backing up a small amount data, then a cloud solution would be optimal. Having a local backup image of your entire pc maybe better. If you have a media failure on your laptop, you replace the drive and perform an entire system restore from your backup drive. You do not have to manually install all your applications. You could have you entire pc running like before in a couple of hours.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    WYSIWYG Moderator marnixR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    5,787
    my solution is rather more pedestrian - i'm not too fussed about having to restore / rebuild the OS, what's more important is your documents, music, pictures and videos
    these go on 2 external hard drives, since the chance that both will fail at the same time as the computer does is minimal
    i never delete any pictures from my camera until they've been transferred to the PC and both external hard drvies

    they don't cost much and last a long time, so in my view an external hard drive is the safest insurance policy
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman Laurieag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by marnixR View Post
    they don't cost much and last a long time, so in my view an external hard drive is the safest insurance policy
    Agreed, and to make things a bit easier, if you need to fully restore things from scratch later, you can run Windows Easy Transfer every now and then and save your mail settings etc onto the same external HDD. You'll find Windows Easy Transfer under Accessories/System tools.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,896
    Quote Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    I have Windows 8. How do I back up my computer? Do I need an external hard drive?
    Well, backing up on the same drive that holds the information you're trying to back up is a poor idea, so yes, you will need to store the backup on an external device. Whether that involves magnetic domains on spinning disks, optical pits on spinning discs, or tunneling electrons in non-moving media is up to you.

    There are lots of tools for doing backups, if by "backup" you mean something a bit more sophisticated than simply copying user files. If you want to restore your system after a crash, for example, you'll need some additional software for that. I have used Macrium Reflect for years with happy results. And it is free. I'm sure others here have their own favorites, but that's mine.
    May buy a new laptop tomorrow...Toshiba..17.4 screen (much easier on my eyes..) any suggestions? I know you have knowledge in this...if you would not mind sharing...I would so appreciate....at this point I want to get Windows 7.....need 8 to work out some bugs and get used to that on my Surface tablet... Thank tk!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    I think it would be difficult to find a brand new system running Windows 8 retail. You may be able to purchase a custom build from Dell of HP with Windows 7 on it. Windows 8.1 gives you the option to go straight to the Desktop on system launch. If you prefer a more traditional desktop interface, you can download Windows Classic Shell. It is a free download which will enable you to choose a Windows XP or Windows 7 start menu interface.

    If you are planning to much travelling with the laptop, then choose one that has a solid state drive (SSD). The SSD drive have faster response times, and has fewer risks for failure.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,896
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojo1 View Post
    I think it would be difficult to find a brand new system running Windows 8 retail. You may be able to purchase a custom build from Dell of HP with Windows 7 on it. Windows 8.1 gives you the option to go straight to the Desktop on system launch. If you prefer a more traditional desktop interface, you can download Windows Classic Shell. It is a free download which will enable you to choose a Windows XP or Windows 7 start menu interface.

    If you are planning to much travelling with the laptop, then choose one that has a solid state drive (SSD). The SSD drive have faster response times, and has fewer risks for failure.
    Thanks Mr. Mojo...they offered me 8.1....I chose 7.....seems 8.1 even still hasn't worked out the kinks...I have that on my surface... I will learn it...then maybe...I'll like it....
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,896
    I travel with laptop and tablet.........
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    10
    I am not yet using windows 8 but i heard that it is always updating and backing up it is really an good idea however i don't know yet to back up a windows 8 maybe you can bough a external hard drive and you can back up all your files there.My class mate in training center at http://www.eximia.fi/ has windows 8 computer and he has an external hard drive for back up files and it think that is a good move to do for backing up your computer.
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Isotope
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Western US
    Posts
    2,819
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    I have Windows 8. How do I back up my computer? Do I need an external hard drive?
    Well, backing up on the same drive that holds the information you're trying to back up is a poor idea, so yes, you will need to store the backup on an external device. Whether that involves magnetic domains on spinning disks, optical pits on spinning discs, or tunneling electrons in non-moving media is up to you.

    There are lots of tools for doing backups, if by "backup" you mean something a bit more sophisticated than simply copying user files. If you want to restore your system after a crash, for example, you'll need some additional software for that. I have used Macrium Reflect for years with happy results. And it is free. I'm sure others here have their own favorites, but that's mine.
    May buy a new laptop tomorrow...Toshiba..17.4 screen (much easier on my eyes..) any suggestions? I know you have knowledge in this...if you would not mind sharing...I would so appreciate....at this point I want to get Windows 7.....need 8 to work out some bugs and get used to that on my Surface tablet... Thank tk!!
    Babe,

    I'm so sorry that I only saw this today. I guess I'm a couple of weeks too late -- I hope you like the laptop that you got. In any case, my recommendations probably wouldn't have helped you much anyway. I travel a great deal, so I'm forced to use one machine on the road, and another back at the office (for more serious work). On the road, low weight and long battery life trump all else, so I ended up choosing an Asus netbook. Small, cheap, and an honest 10 hours of run time when reading documents, and perhaps 7 hours playing vids. I threw in a 1TB hard drive, so it's full of books, papers and movies. But the small 10-inch screen would not play nice with your eyes!

    Like you, I chose 7 over 8.x. Microsoft seems to have a problem with every other OS release. I wish someone would tell them "different is not always better."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,896
    tk421

    Mahalo for replying......and yes you are late

    I received a little Windows Surface tablet for Christmas with Windows 8.1

    I wish I got Windows 7 on it. I am learning though, or *laughing* trying to learn!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,896
    Quote Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tk421 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatt9876 View Post
    I have Windows 8. How do I back up my computer? Do I need an external hard drive?
    Well, backing up on the same drive that holds the information you're trying to back up is a poor idea, so yes, you will need to store the backup on an external device. Whether that involves magnetic domains on spinning disks, optical pits on spinning discs, or tunneling electrons in non-moving media is up to you.

    There are lots of tools for doing backups, if by "backup" you mean something a bit more sophisticated than simply copying user files. If you want to restore your system after a crash, for example, you'll need some additional software for that. I have used Macrium Reflect for years with happy results. And it is free. I'm sure others here have their own favorites, but that's mine.
    May buy a new laptop tomorrow...Toshiba..17.4 screen (much easier on my eyes..) any suggestions? I know you have knowledge in this...if you would not mind sharing...I would so appreciate....at this point I want to get Windows 7.....need 8 to work out some bugs and get used to that on my Surface tablet... Thank tk!!
    Babe,

    I'm so sorry that I only saw this today. I guess I'm a couple of weeks too late -- I hope you like the laptop that you got. In any case, my recommendations probably wouldn't have helped you much anyway. I travel a great deal, so I'm forced to use one machine on the road, and another back at the office (for more serious work). On the road, low weight and long battery life trump all else, so I ended up choosing an Asus netbook. Small, cheap, and an honest 10 hours of run time when reading documents, and perhaps 7 hours playing vids. I threw in a 1TB hard drive, so it's full of books, papers and movies. But the small 10-inch screen would not play nice with your eyes!

    Like you, I chose 7 over 8.x. Microsoft seems to have a problem with every other OS release. I wish someone would tell them "different is not always better."
    Please see post 17......this spun on me but didn't post as a quote!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    External HD works for me and it is cheap, a terrabite is under 120.00 now.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Computer Science or Computer Engineering?
    By masta in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM
  2. Computer Science or Computer Communication ?
    By Jad Ayash in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 5th, 2010, 08:40 PM
  3. Computer Engineering or Computer Science?
    By nick1760 in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 6th, 2009, 11:23 PM
  4. hii -i am backing a fter a while-icarus5 from israel
    By cohen avshalom in forum Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 18th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •