Notices
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 123 of 123
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: How to speed up my old laptop? :/

  1. #101  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    I will reply more tomorrow, but first...thank you kalster for the advice, and thank you scheherazade for the compassion haha Kalster, the model is K53E? That's on the back of the computer...on a sticker. Does that sound right? How sad that I don't even know what you're asking me. :/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #102  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    Well, I'm pretty upset with this ''new'' laptop I bought off of my friend. No, I'm downright angry, and tired of dealing with computer issues. I want to know why it's so damn hard to just boot up the laptop, and have it work. Period. Here's the problem. For some reason, I keep getting booted off of the internet. Then, I reconnect, and I start surfing the net, and boxes pop up, asking me if I want virus protection, or if I want to make this or that my 'default' page. But, the worst part of all...I'll be online, and then the screen will 'fade,' not sure how else to describe it...the 'spinning circle' will pop up (similar to the hour glass) and I have to exit out of the net. Then, I try to get back online, and the same crap again happens. My friend barely used this computer, there shouldn't be any major issues with it as I had with my own laptop. I'm just at a loss, and it's painstaking to utilize it, on some days. And 'babylon' keeps coming up as my default page...wtf? Gee...what is it like to own a computer that you turn on...and it just...works? Or is this just some type of utopia I'm dreaming of.
    Sounds more like the laptop is full of bloatware and all sorts of spam programs and toolbars, like was discussed at the beginning of this thread.

    Best thing to do is to backup your data and reset the laptop to factory default. The laptop should then be as if you had just bought it. The hard drive has a partition where the OS and drivers are stored for recovery purposes, so you should be able to let your PC essentially format and reinstall Windows for you without too much hassle.

    What is the make and model of your new laptop? I'll then Google how to reset your laptop. It should be fine then, as long as you follow the advice about not installing extra stuff with programs, getting an anti-virus, etc.


    Edit: I found these instructions, which should work, but make sure you back up your data first. How to Restore an ASUS Laptop to the Factory Settings | eHow

    Better to still check if it'll work with the specific model, as sometimes you need a disc apparently. Is there a license sticker on the Laptop somewhere?
    You are a doll face, Mr. Kalster.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #103  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    I will reply more tomorrow, but first...thank you kalster for the advice, and thank you scheherazade for the compassion haha Kalster, the model is K53E? That's on the back of the computer...on a sticker. Does that sound right? How sad that I don't even know what you're asking me. :/
    The K53E is a nice looking laptop! And it sports Sandy Bridge generation processors, which is good. You shouldn't be having these problems.

    If your friend never installed another version of Windows than what it came with, this should be a seamless process.

    1) Find out from your friend if she ever installed another version of Winows.
    2) If not, you can go ahead and backup all your important data to a flash drive or external hard drive, i.e. you'll lose everything you don't backup.
    3) Follow this guide: Restore an Asus Netbook to factory settings. Choose "Recover Windows to first partition only.".
    4) Laptop should be back to original condition after it completes!

    Good luck!
    babe likes this.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #104  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Kalster, I feel you should bill me. Lol THANK YOU so much!

    Is it tantamount to blasphemy in the IT world to say the words..."I don't want to back up?":/

    I suppose I should make it a habit.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #105  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    Kalster, I feel you should bill me. Lol THANK YOU so much!

    Is it tantamount to blasphemy in the IT world to say the words..."I don't want to back up?":/

    I suppose I should make it a habit.
    Pleasure.

    Did you do it yet?

    Well, if you won't mind losing your data, don't back up. Trust me, I have seen it too many times and then I have to sort it out and I am not even in the IT industry.
    wegs likes this.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #106  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    Kalster, I feel you should bill me. Lol THANK YOU so much!

    Is it tantamount to blasphemy in the IT world to say the words..."I don't want to back up?":/

    I suppose I should make it a habit.
    Pleasure.

    Did you do it yet?

    Well, if you won't mind losing your data, don't back up. Trust me, I have seen it too many times and then I have to sort it out and I am not even in the IT industry.
    I decided to back up ....:=O haha Oh yes! I then followed your instructions, and so far so good. Things are running much better. Computers are more complex than humans. You are a very kind man to help me as you have...thank you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #107  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    lol @ the term 'bloatware' by the way......... I laughed.
    babe likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #108  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    lol @ the term 'bloatware' by the way......... I laughed.
    ALL to familiar to most women!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #109  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    Kalster, I feel you should bill me. Lol THANK YOU so much!

    Is it tantamount to blasphemy in the IT world to say the words..."I don't want to back up?":/

    I suppose I should make it a habit.
    Pleasure.

    Did you do it yet?

    Well, if you won't mind losing your data, don't back up. Trust me, I have seen it too many times and then I have to sort it out and I am not even in the IT industry.
    I decided to back up ....:=O haha Oh yes! I then followed your instructions, and so far so good. Things are running much better. Computers are more complex than humans. You are a very kind man to help me as you have...thank you!
    Glad to hear!

    Now you just need to download and install an antivirus like Microsoft Security Essentials and make sure to maintain the Laptop by not installing all sorts of nonsense. As you saw with your friends machine, this happens all the time, as your friend was also a victim of it.

    Not sure about yours, but some laptops come with trial antivirus programmes out of the box like Norton. While these are good, you don't really need to pay money to have a good quality antivirus. MSE is more than good enough. So you'll then need to uninstall the trial antivirus if you want to start using MSE, otherwise it will just slow down your computer needlessly.

    Enjoy!


    PS: it might not look that way sometimes, but a lot of us come here to learn and also to help people out who have all sorts of questions about science etc. It feels good to just help out for once.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #110  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    Kalster, I feel you should bill me. Lol THANK YOU so much!

    Is it tantamount to blasphemy in the IT world to say the words..."I don't want to back up?":/

    I suppose I should make it a habit.
    Pleasure.

    Did you do it yet?

    Well, if you won't mind losing your data, don't back up. Trust me, I have seen it too many times and then I have to sort it out and I am not even in the IT industry.
    I decided to back up ....:=O haha Oh yes! I then followed your instructions, and so far so good. Things are running much better. Computers are more complex than humans. You are a very kind man to help me as you have...thank you!
    Glad to hear!

    Now you just need to download and install an antivirus like Microsoft Security Essentials and make sure to maintain the Laptop by not installing all sorts of nonsense. As you saw with your friends machine, this happens all the time, as your friend was also a victim of it.

    Not sure about yours, but some laptops come with trial antivirus programmes out of the box like Norton. While these are good, you don't really need to pay money to have a good quality antivirus. MSE is more than good enough. So you'll then need to uninstall the trial antivirus if you want to start using MSE, otherwise it will just slow down your computer needlessly.

    Enjoy!


    PS: it might not look that way sometimes, but a lot of us come here to learn and also to help people out who have all sorts of questions about science etc. It feels good to just help out for once.
    You are a sweetheart......

    Question, however...what about a Firewall? MSE come with on?

    Yes they can major bring your machine to a crawl....especially if you have two installed!

    been there, accidentally, done it, figured it out...remedied it and I am not a computer whiz....I'm trying to figure out how to get my iTunes from one computer to the other two.....I think I need to flashdrive the music...I spent HOURS uplaiding that music from MY CD's
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #111  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    Yep. As you install it, it will let you make sure it is turned on.

    Don't know much about iTunes I'm afraid.

    I just use Windows Media Player to play MP3s.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #112  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Yep. As you install it, it will let you make sure it is turned on.

    Don't know much about iTunes I'm afraid.

    I just use Windows Media Player to play MP3s.
    Mahalo Nui Loa, Sir Kalster.....well then I don't need to renew my PC Tools, and I can just use Microsoft Security Essentials which basically the computer comes with and not have to deal with the slow down times of the others?
    INTERESTING...was always told you had to have another...I don't like Norton, or McAfee....they make my machine crawl, and it doesn't have much on it!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #113  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    Yep, don't need much else.

    You can use CCleaner once in a while though. Really helps getting rid of unwanted nonsense that might heap up after a while. I think it is discussed a bit earlier in the thread as well.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #114  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Yep, don't need much else.

    You can use CCleaner once in a while though. Really helps getting rid of unwanted nonsense that might heap up after a while. I think it is discussed a bit earlier in the thread as well.
    Thanks!! I don't use a MAC so..,.this is good to know!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #115  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    I don't use a MAC...
    Good girl.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #116  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    I don't use a MAC...
    Good girl.
    Are you kidding me!! People tell me I'm an idiot for not using a Mac!

    Daughter has one and I had to use it in Zurich and I freaking HATED IT!
    KALSTER likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #117  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,232
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    I don't use a MAC...
    Good girl.
    Are you kidding me!! People tell me I'm an idiot for not using a Mac!

    Daughter has one and I had to use it in Zurich and I freaking HATED IT!
    I just hate the whole Apple philosophy. Like an iPhone, a Mac is not that terrible a thing to use and it does have one or two programs that professionals actually prefer, but on the whole you are paying a huge premium for the same or inferior hardware, and a nice glowing Apple logo on the back. They are also just about the worst of the bunch in terms of trying to force you into a box where you have to use their products that limit you as much as they can.

    Look at how you are having troubles with iTunes. Normally you just copy your stuff to where ever you'll be using it, but not with iTunes. You first have to jump through a series of hoops to get it done.
    babe likes this.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #118  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Ah, the trials and tribulations of getting used to a new computer. lol Such first world problems we have, eh? So, whenever I post here...a message pops up "do you want to leave this page?'' I click yes, and the post shows up. Is this an 'ASUS' thing? Then, I'm always being asked if I want to ''instal'' this or that 'update.' I don't always click update. Should I always click update? What is it updating?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #119  
    has lost interest seagypsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,107
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    Ah, the trials and tribulations of getting used to a new computer. lol Such first world problems we have, eh? So, whenever I post here...a message pops up "do you want to leave this page?'' I click yes, and the post shows up. Is this an 'ASUS' thing? Then, I'm always being asked if I want to ''instal'' this or that 'update.' I don't always click update. Should I always click update? What is it updating?
    That's a forum thing. I have an acer and I get it too. The updates depend on what it is asking you to update. Usually its a good thing to update as long as it is a program that you need. Keeping your OS updated is good idea. And since software companies are constantly correcting security threats in their programming, it is more often than not that the updates offered are correcting weaknesses in the security of the software.

    My son just got his desktop back from his idiot father. And it was running at a snails pace. Apparently his iq 51 dad thought he was fixing the computer by installing a bunch of pc utility softwares to fix the pc speed and stuff. So there are a crap load of crapware on the computer.

    Big tip here. When installing a software you do want, pay attention to the install wizard questions. When it asks you if you want to install some tool bar, ALWAYS say no. Toolbars are notorious for carrying crap ware that slows down you computer. Don't install utilities for things that you can do without the utilities. Too many of the so called pc fix utilities are just resource hogs that slow your computer down. This idiot even had software installed to help him search for definitions of words, apparently the ding dong didn't know how to use a simple search engine.

    So we have uninstalled all the crap ware and we are running eset on his computer, at only 20% complete it has already found 4 other tool bars that didnt show up in the programs and features of the control panel. Also, though i doubt anyone on here is this computer illiterate, never attempt to uninstall a program by simply deleting the exe file. or the folders associated with it. Doing that will not undo the registry changes the program makes when it installs. Uninstalling via the control panel corrects the registry as well, assuming the program was not a virus to begin with.
    wegs likes this.
    Speaking badly about people after they are gone and jumping on the bash the band wagon must do very well for a low self-esteem.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #120  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    seagypsy...thank you so much! Can't tell you how helpful that is ^^ The toolbar advice alone is worth its weight in gold.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #121  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    I don't use a MAC...
    Good girl.
    Are you kidding me!! People tell me I'm an idiot for not using a Mac!

    Daughter has one and I had to use it in Zurich and I freaking HATED IT!
    I just hate the whole Apple philosophy. Like an iPhone, a Mac is not that terrible a thing to use and it does have one or two programs that professionals actually prefer, but on the whole you are paying a huge premium for the same or inferior hardware, and a nice glowing Apple logo on the back. They are also just about the worst of the bunch in terms of trying to force you into a box where you have to use their products that limit you as much as they can.

    Look at how you are having troubles with iTunes. Normally you just copy your stuff to where ever you'll be using it, but not with iTunes. You first have to jump through a series of hoops to get it done.

    WELL PUT!! I might switch phones next time! *L* but it's easier to fix my husbands when he totally F***'s up!! which he is well...I'm so not a genius but he is like a mouse when it comes to technical stuff
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #122  
    ...matter and pixie dust wegs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    I don't use a MAC...
    Good girl.
    Are you kidding me!! People tell me I'm an idiot for not using a Mac!Daughter has one and I had to use it in Zurich and I freaking HATED IT!
    I just hate the whole Apple philosophy. Like an iPhone, a Mac is not that terrible a thing to use and it does have one or two programs that professionals actually prefer, but on the whole you are paying a huge premium for the same or inferior hardware, and a nice glowing Apple logo on the back. They are also just about the worst of the bunch in terms of trying to force you into a box where you have to use their products that limit you as much as they can. Look at how you are having troubles with iTunes. Normally you just copy your stuff to where ever you'll be using it, but not with iTunes. You first have to jump through a series of hoops to get it done.
    WELL PUT!! I might switch phones next time! *L* but it's easier to fix my husbands when he totally F***'s up!! which he is well...I'm so not a genius but he is like a mousewhen it comes to technical stuff
    Seeing that this is a thread about computers...you're so punny.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #123  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    12,440
    Quote Originally Posted by wegs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by babe View Post
    I don't use a MAC...
    Good girl.
    Are you kidding me!! People tell me I'm an idiot for not using a Mac!Daughter has one and I had to use it in Zurich and I freaking HATED IT!
    I just hate the whole Apple philosophy. Like an iPhone, a Mac is not that terrible a thing to use and it does have one or two programs that professionals actually prefer, but on the whole you are paying a huge premium for the same or inferior hardware, and a nice glowing Apple logo on the back. They are also just about the worst of the bunch in terms of trying to force you into a box where you have to use their products that limit you as much as they can. Look at how you are having troubles with iTunes. Normally you just copy your stuff to where ever you'll be using it, but not with iTunes. You first have to jump through a series of hoops to get it done.
    WELL PUT!! I might switch phones next time! *L* but it's easier to fix my husbands when he totally F***'s up!! which he is well...I'm so not a genius but he is like a mousewhen it comes to technical stuff
    Seeing that this is a thread about computers...you're so punny.
    Hush!! I do comedy!!! Someone might notice!! It's a well known secret by everyone who knows me!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Help on laptop!
    By xDARTHWOLFx in forum Electrical and Electronics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: March 14th, 2013, 09:08 AM
  2. Laptop dilemma
    By stopandthink in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: October 24th, 2012, 09:14 AM
  3. Which laptop to buy?
    By Jima in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: November 29th, 2011, 01:45 AM
  4. new laptop
    By zendra in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 20th, 2010, 08:52 PM
  5. Old Laptop
    By psynapse in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 2nd, 2007, 02:28 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •