Notices
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Proxy
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By John Galt

Thread: How to protect yourself from hacking in a LAN?

  1. #1 How to protect yourself from hacking in a LAN? 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    409
    Hi
    Im bewildered if all the porn could be caught by other guys working in the same LAN...


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York State
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by bezoar View Post
    Hi
    Im bewildered if all the porn could be caught by other guys working in the same LAN...
    I suggest you discuss it with your IT manager.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by mathman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bezoar View Post
    Hi
    Im bewildered if all the porn could be caught by other guys working in the same LAN...
    I suggest you discuss it with your IT manager.
    My IT thinks i'm just an average guy with no militar secrets in my accounts. It is true, and i have no important documents, but use my debit card to e-buy any.
    Invest in NOD justifies the need to avoid hacking my emails?
    witchy! do something witchy!
    or you prefer... wicci?!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman Goddard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    48
    Use Ubuntu and PGP under thunderbird.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddard View Post
    Use Ubuntu and PGP under thunderbird.
    Why? please explain.
    Are LAN anti-spy softwares different from normal ones?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Masters Degree MrMojo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Florida, USA
    Posts
    618
    If you are access the internet for financial transactions on a unsecured computer, I'd suggest using a "live Linux CD" to boot from and use the browser on disk.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    703
    Yes of course, everyone on LAN network can listen to your data transfer, but it require a special software and this software is not known by any layperson.... It is called "packet sniffing" (the software also came by the same name and all computer science student know them): basically it allow you to read the packet sent by another computer (through wifi, LAN, ect) as a text, and this text is not fun to read unless it contain password or login text. You can avoid "packet sniffing" (if it happen) by only visiting "Secure Website" such as email login page or banking page or using free-online-proxy that offer encryption (the keylock picture on the address bar indicate "Secure Website recognized by Certificate authority", and the "https:" indicate website that encrypt its data) or in case of Wifi: when your wifi is passworded.

    But you don't need to worry about this if there's no IT expert in your LAN. But your ISP also have an IT expert and they can see your data packet too... But maybe they don't know who's watching porn because there's too much user to keep track off, or maybe they do... it depends. Or maybe they don't care...
    Last edited by msafwan; April 17th, 2012 at 06:39 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman Proxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    It's strange how many answers there are in this thread that doesn't actually answer the question.

    Booting a live cd of a Linux distribution doesn't automatically make your data traffic secure, it's actually not necessary at all in this situation unless you're afraid of writing anything to your harddrive. There are programs that prevents people from exploiting the ARP vulnerability, but that won't secure your actual data. What you want to do is encrypt it, but there are still problems when dealing with sensitive information such as passwords, bank account information, etc.

    If you're using an open proxy / VPN (such as the Tor network), it's possible that the end node is sniffing all the data being passed through the Tor network. One way to circumvent that is to use SSL, but if I recall correctly it's not very difficult to brute force the encrypted data (it depends on what kind of encryption method is being used). So the ultimate solution would probably be to buy a safe VPN and use that.


    Quote Originally Posted by msafwan View Post
    Yes of course, everyone on LAN network can listen to your data transfer, but it require a special software and this software is not known by any layperson....
    You don't need to be a genius to use tools like Ettercap and Wireshark; you're not programming a sniffer, you're merely using it.

    Quote Originally Posted by msafwan View Post
    But you don't need to worry about this if there's no IT expert in your LAN. But your ISP also have an IT expert and they can see your data packet too... But maybe they don't know who's watching porn because there's too much user to keep track off, or maybe they do... it depends. Or maybe they don't care...
    I'd like you to define the term "IT expert", it'd be interesting to see your view of it. Do you see yourself worthy of that title?
    Nevertheless, assuming that no one will be able to hack you only makes it easier for potential attackers.


    https://www.torproject.org/
    ^Here's a link to the Tor Project, which enables you to encrypt and proxy your data traffic securely. Keep what I said before in mind though, and try to read the tips and guidelines on their website on how to use Tor securely.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by msafwan View Post
    But you don't need to worry about this if there's no IT expert in your LAN. But your ISP also have an IT expert and they can see your data packet too... But maybe they don't know who's watching porn because there's too much user to keep track off, or maybe they do... it depends. Or maybe they don't care...
    I'd like you to define the term "IT expert", it'd be interesting to see your view of it. Do you see yourself worthy of that title?
    Not me, but I've read alot of news about researcher hacking network in the name of science (I read most of it from www.physorg.com). This people is real pro and they are not typical IT student that came out of university. -But I'm certain normal connection is a piece of cake for this pro, except the encrypted & encoded connection (of course for the science they did hacked it too)...

    *a guy on same LAN can't possibly be that pro IMO*
    Last edited by msafwan; April 21st, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman Proxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by msafwan View Post
    Not me, but I've read alot of news about researcher hacking network in the name of science (I read most of it from www.physorg.com). This people is real pro and they are not typical IT student that came out of university. -But I'm certain normal connection is a piece of cake for this pro, except the encrypted & encoded connection (of course for the science they did hacked it too)...
    You should refrain yourself from answering in a thread if you don't know what you're talking about. I'm in no way a security expert, and I haven't had a proper education in IT security, yet I have a good understanding of the various protocols used in the data link layer and how to exploit them. You don't need several years of education at a university to learn such basic knowledge.

    Quote Originally Posted by msafwan View Post
    *a guy on same LAN can't possibly be that pro IMO*
    That's such an understatement, I was expecting more from this forum. Your opinion in the matter is irrelevant.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    703
    lol I have degree in this stuff lol...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman Proxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by msafwan View Post
    lol I have degree in this stuff lol...
    And yet you seem clueless, only strengthens my assumptions regarding the education in this field.

    Your degree is irrelevant if you don't know how it actually works.
    msafwan likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Masters Degree
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    703
    Yes, true. The internet architecture is not build for security so everyone who is determined can learn to hack it. So... if you watch porn in LAN there's real possiblity that someone know you watch porn.

    So you need to use encryption (available in free-online-proxy or VPN) to circumvent any packet interception so that it make the packet content unreadable (but you also need to clear your computer of any software that take screenshot of your PC, sometimes they use it for diagnostic). But if the porn site (or bank site) offer encryption you'd see the "HTTPS:" in the address bar and you don't need to use middle-party encryption because it would be more unsecure (you don't want the middle-party know you bank account), also watch for website with "Certificate error" because it might indicate phissing-scam (but also check your PC's time/date in case it was wrong: causing false alarm with certificate check).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    409
    Do you know a good site (non full of arrogant technical glibberin') dedicated to security softwares?
    The Law of Moore allows old computer softwares to be more vulnerable to spy software. I was read it in Pathway to Future. Bill Gates. Chapter: What will happened with our privacy?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman Proxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by bezoar View Post
    Do you know a good site (non full of arrogant technical glibberin') dedicated to security softwares?
    I doubt you'll find much about the subject if you refuse to learn various technical terms.
    IT Security - Stack Exchange

    If it's the actual software you're looking for, you can take a look at the Linux distribution called Backtrack.
    BackTrack Linux - Penetration Testing Distribution

    And here's a list of other software.
    SecTools.Org Top Network Security Tools
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    You should refrain yourself from answering in a thread if you don't know what you're talking about..................... I was expecting more from this forum. Your opinion in the matter is irrelevant.
    Right. Two posts as a forum newcomer and you think the smart thing to do is be offensive. Full marks for giving us a heads up on what to expect from you.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Freshman Proxy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Right. Two posts as a forum newcomer and you think the smart thing to do is be offensive. Full marks for giving us a heads up on what to expect from you.
    Offensive? I was merely stating the obvious; I'm not answering and giving suggestions regarding subjects I know nothing about, nor should anyone else.
    Another pointer, you make it sound as being offensive (in other words, rude?) is completely okay once I have more posts and been here for a certain amount of time.

    Ugh, the stupidity of some people terrifies me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    If it's obvious, then your only reason for pointing that out is to offend or seem smarter than those who you are asking questions of.
    You've made a fine impression in your 5 posts. Rude and arrogant, and crtiticizing members who have been here a while and are offering their help. As any such advice, it's worth what it's worth. If you don't like it, ignore it instead of offending everyone on your short trail of destruction.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    Offensive? I was merely stating the obvious;
    Yes, it was offensive. Stating the obvious frequently is offensive. You could have said something like - "I'm not sure how familiar you are with all the aspects of this topic, but something I think you would agree is worth considering is..........." That way you get the facts on the table and lay the groundwork for a productive and amicable relationship with the other poster.

    Another thing that was obvious, but that you decided to ignore completely, was that some posters had tried to provide answers within the scope of their abilities and knowledge. That is, surely, a positive thing.

    So, here is another obvious thing: you chose to state a negative obvious as bluntly as possible and to completely ignore a positive obvious. What do you think that tells us about your approach? What do you think that makes people think about you? I'm sure the answers are obvious.

    Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    I'm not answering and giving suggestions regarding subjects I know nothing about, nor should anyone else.
    The other posters clearly knew something about the subject. In the absence of a more informed response they were offering what they could. Perhaps their information was seriously warped, or just plain wrong. Might it be worth granting them some kudos for intention?

    Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    Another pointer, you make it sound as being offensive (in other words, rude?) is completely okay once I have more posts and been here for a certain amount of time.
    No. I failed to make myself clear. Some offensive members are forgiven their offensive naure because they have proved over a period of time and many posts that they both know their subject matter and deliver informative posts. Their offensiveness is tolerated. To be offensive in your second post on the forum is simply dumb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    Ugh, the stupidity of some people terrifies me.
    Aha! I see you had already realised that.


    Proxy, I am sure that you could become a highly valuable and valued member of the forum. If you consider what I have said here that may help you achieve that. Or you could just leave in a huff. The frustrating thing is, of course, for you, that no one currently really cares either way.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,530
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Or you could just leave in a huff.
    "If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff."
    Ascended likes this.
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    "If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff."
    The Marx Brothers, I believe. (Do you believe the Marx Brothers?)
    Ascended likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    690
    you cannot prevent LAN hacks i can delete files turn off computers easy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. ISDN Telephone system hacking
    By leohopkins in forum Electrical and Electronics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 25th, 2011, 07:27 PM
  2. Hacking/Scripting a game HELP!
    By =CtrlAltDelete= in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 31st, 2006, 06:31 PM
  3. Hacking/Scripting a game HELP!
    By =CtrlAltDelete= in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 31st, 2006, 06:30 PM
  4. What can protect something against EMPS?
    By itstemo1 in forum Physics
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: June 30th, 2006, 10:30 PM
  5. Thieving Gypsies!!! Need to protect myself!
    By shanethewolf in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: August 17th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •