Notices
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How to go about writing an ooperating system.

  1. #1 How to go about writing an ooperating system. 
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2
    How can i start writing my own operating system? Like what and what do i need to go on.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: How to go about writing an ooperating system. 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London, Earth.
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by micman009
    How can i start writing my own operating system? Like what and what do i need to go on.
    Not really sure here but I would say you need to be able to write your own kernal.

    I think it will be one hell of a tough job.

    I'm still a student so hopefully one of the more experienced members can help you out.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    Does an ooperating system say oops a lot instead of the blue screen of death?

    :P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope MagiMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,440
    Try this: http://linuxgazette.net/issue77/krishnakumar.html

    It sounded interesting, but I never got around to trying it out myself.

    Edit: Actually, that's just the first part. Google the title to find more.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London, Earth.
    Posts
    65
    ASSembely language... *cringe*. I hate that stuff. PEP8 is what I did. It's not super hard, just freaking dirty looking and tedious.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope MagiMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,440
    I doubt you could write an OS without it though. OS's are just too close to the hardware to make anything else really practical.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Bachelors Degree Waveman28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    417
    Go one better, write the whole thing in binary. And I wouldn't bag out assembly languages, they are much better than high level ones for this sort of task. High level languages essentially exist purely for productivity, not efficiency. Basically, there for lazy people who can't be bothered understanding the computers architecture and how the computer really works.
    "Doubt is the origin of Wisdom" - Rene Descartes
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    98
    What's the point to make your own OS? It will take lots of time to achieve anything meaningful.

    I know at least two projects aimed to develop an amateur OS:
    VisOpSys: http://visopsys.org/
    MenuetOS: http://www.menuetos.net/

    To my mind, it makes more sense to join a started project. There are some attempts to make a modern, technologically advanced OS, namely:

    Haiku: http://haiku-os.org/
    Minix: http://www.minix3.org/

    You may contribute something to their kernels.

    If you still want to develop your own OS you'll need:
    1) a compiler (probably you'll pick C)
    2) virtual machine, like bochs or qemu
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by MagiMaster
    I doubt you could write an OS without it though. OS's are just too close to the hardware to make anything else really practical.
    I agree with this. You certainly should learn an assmbly language because OSs make system calls through direct interaction with the various computer's hardware components and perform a lot of low memory management. And I think that being able write your own 0S will require both skill and competence in taking apart and reassembly the kernels of other OSs whose SourceCodes are accessable and are not brinary. distributions.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope MagiMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,440
    Quote Originally Posted by BlasW
    What's the point to make your own OS? It will take lots of time to achieve anything meaningful.

    I know at least two projects aimed to develop an amateur OS:
    VisOpSys: http://visopsys.org/
    MenuetOS: http://www.menuetos.net/

    To my mind, it makes more sense to join a started project. There are some attempts to make a modern, technologically advanced OS, namely:

    Haiku: http://haiku-os.org/
    Minix: http://www.minix3.org/

    You may contribute something to their kernels.

    If you still want to develop your own OS you'll need:
    1) a compiler (probably you'll pick C)
    2) virtual machine, like bochs or qemu
    For many people, there's fun in just attempting it, regardless of whether or not you make anything useful.

    Also, you probably won't need a compiler. Even C will compile in too much overhead for something as low level as an OS. There are probably ways around that, but by then, it'd likely have been easier to use assembly to begin with.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •