Notices
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Drank Chlorine water!!

  1. #1 Drank Chlorine water!! 
    Forum Sophomore scientist-to-be's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    124
    Today at school, my friend accidentally drank some fairly concentrated Chlorine water. It was only a small amount, so it wasn't very dangerous, but I took her to the school clinic anyway, and the doctor told her to drink some milk. Afterwards, with a group of our friends, we were trying to discover what, chemically would be happening in her body. So, to start from the beginning, before the drinking actually happens, Chlorine would react with water in a disproportionation reaction giving Hydrochloric acid and HCLO. HCLO would dissociate readily to HCL and a free radical O, which would kill bacteria in the water (at least we don't have to worry about germs!-LOL).

    Cl2 + H2O ---> HCLO + HCL

    HCLO ---> HCL + O

    So now, we have a lot of HCL that we need to neutralise, and hence the milk. Now, our next problem is, we discovered, that none of us really knows that much about the chemical composition of milk. What in milk is alkaline to neutralise the acid?


    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NC USA
    Posts
    488
    The "chlorine water" your friend drank is probably not chlorine gas (Cl2) dissolved in water but a solution of sodium hypochlorite, or household bleach. This bleach contains NaOCl and NaClO3.

    Sodium hypochlorite is used to keep water pure in swimming pools and also by municipal water systems for water purification. Clearly, it has been determined that ingesting small amounts is harmless.

    For the record, chlorine gas dissolved in water does not react to form HCl. It remains as dissolved chlorine gas.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman rjc34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    42
    hm, well, we DO have HCl in out stomachs... (hence, stomach acid)

    I've been told it's concentrated at about 4MOL.

    so its not that bad, but anyways, I don't think the water your friend drank would have been concentrated enough to do some damage.

    My theory about the milk is that it makes mucous (ever notice when you drink milk you get all phlegm-y and such. So all the mucous would drain into the stomach, thickening the coat of mucous already there and making sure the acid doesn't hurt the body.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4 Re: Drank Chlorine water!! 
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by scientist-to-be
    Today at school, my friend accidentally drank some fairly concentrated Chlorine water. It was only a small amount, so it wasn't very dangerous, but I took her to the school clinic anyway, and the doctor told her to drink some milk. Afterwards, with a group of our friends, we were trying to discover what, chemically would be happening in her body. So, to start from the beginning, before the drinking actually happens, Chlorine would react with water in a disproportionation reaction giving Hydrochloric acid and HCLO. HCLO would dissociate readily to HCL and a free radical O, which would kill bacteria in the water (at least we don't have to worry about germs!-LOL).

    Cl2 + H2O ---> HCLO + HCL

    HCLO ---> HCL + O

    So now, we have a lot of HCL that we need to neutralise, and hence the milk. Now, our next problem is, we discovered, that none of us really knows that much about the chemical composition of milk. What in milk is alkaline to neutralise the acid?
    ITs the other way around. If what she drank was bleach (chlorine) then it was alkaline, and milk contains Lactic acid, so there is your neutralisation.
    Poor girl.......drinks some evil concoction by accident and you and your mates sit down and take notes :wink:

    I know how she feels, I took a very deep whiff of some sodium hydroxide gas once, thinking it was going to smell of rotting eggs. it didnt, i got it wrong and i burned my sinuses in the process !! :s - whoops !
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •