Notices
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: concentrated acetic acid

  1. #1 concentrated acetic acid 
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    is there any way to take average household vinegar (4-5% solution of acetic acid) and make it more concentrated?


    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kelowna
    Posts
    27
    Can you not boil some of the water off? or slowly simmer off some of the water in household vinegar.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "Jamerica"...When in America, Florida; when in Jamaica, St. Mary
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by psynapse
    Can you not boil some of the water off? or slowly simmer off some of the water in household vinegar.
    I think acetic acid is very volatile, and would evaporate even before the H2O.
    Whence comes this logic: no evidence = false?

    http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php

    Theists welcome.
    ___________
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    945
    Its not a volatile chemical. It forms hydrogen bonds between two molocules of itself which makes it alot harder to seperate from it self. a dimer of itself

    Distillation would remove some water, ethanoic acid has a boiling point of 118 ( high due to the hydrogen bonds ).

    correct me if im wrong.
    Stumble on through life.
    Feel free to correct any false information, which unknown to me, may be included in my posts. (also - let this be a disclaimer)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    321
    I use acetic acid in the preparation of calcium phosphate microfossils. One needs 100% acid, a few ounces, and then you can keep producing your own acid off off this stock (look up 'glacial' acetic acid production).

    You can, however, find 'vinegar' is higher off the shelf concentrations than mentioned above. Up to 12% or so in some cider vinegars...you can also find it higher in some fungicides.

    One source of acetic acid is photo supply shops. Acetic acid is used in stabalizing film. I don't know, however, if it goes under some other industry name.

    We buy it by the 40 gallon drum from chemical supply companies but,as mentioned, if you can get a few ounces 100% acid then you can keep making your own in non-commercial quantities. A university lab mght give you a couple ounces if you make a case for it. It's a bit burny in a pure state but not dangerous like many other concentrated acids...the smell is a bit overwhelming and it sure clears the sinuses.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyologist
    I use acetic acid in the preparation of calcium phosphate microfossils. One needs 100% acid, a few ounces, and then you can keep producing your own acid off off this stock (look up 'glacial' acetic acid production).

    You can, however, find 'vinegar' is higher off the shelf concentrations than mentioned above. Up to 12% or so in some cider vinegars...you can also find it higher in some fungicides.

    One source of acetic acid is photo supply shops. Acetic acid is used in stabalizing film. I don't know, however, if it goes under some other industry name.

    We buy it by the 40 gallon drum from chemical supply companies but,as mentioned, if you can get a few ounces 100% acid then you can keep making your own in non-commercial quantities. A university lab mght give you a couple ounces if you make a case for it. It's a bit burny in a pure state but not dangerous like many other concentrated acids...the smell is a bit overwhelming and it sure clears the sinuses.
    ok, that helped, thanks. i'm looking for more concentrated acetic acid than vinegar just because i like trying to do little chemistry experiments at home with chemicals i actually have access to, and i'm not sure vinegar will ever get me any great results because it's so dilute.
    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bath, UK
    Posts
    77
    One method you might want to try is a synthesis via Sodium Acetate...

    Take your vinegar and add sodium hydroxide (or sodium bicarbonate) until no reaction occurs and it reads neutral, then crystalise this by evaporation to make sodium acetate. Then to the sodium acetate add sulphuric acid and distill to get conc Acetic acid.

    Be warned a lot of H2S is generated so do this outside. I made the mistake of doing this in my kitchen which led to a very eggy smelling house for a few hours.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,893
    I know being a chemical do-it-yourselfer is cool and all, but you would could always just, you know, buy some pure acetic acid. Sigma-Aldrich sells it mail-order for around $30/liter.

    http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/Local/SA_Splash.html
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Scifor Refugee
    I know being a chemical do-it-yourselfer is cool and all, but you would could always just, you know, buy some pure acetic acid. Sigma-Aldrich sells it mail-order for around $30/liter.

    http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/Local/SA_Splash.html
    you think I can afford that? well, i can't, unfortunately. oh well. not much time for experiments anyway. someday i'll have time i suppose.
    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •