Notices
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Electrolysis - Is this safe?

  1. #1 Electrolysis - Is this safe? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8
    I'm trying to make a homemade electrolysis. I have a bottle and ran two wires into it. I put a balloon on top. I don't have a battery big enough, so could i hook a car battery charger to the wires? Would this work and be relatively safe?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Sophomore Kabooom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    102
    Well no, that really sounds dumb because you don't know what you're doing. All you need is a 9volt and graphite leads (not metal). The way i did it was:

    -Took graphite from wood pencils (2 rods).
    -Attached a bent paper clip to + and - terminals of 9 volt (i just used tape)
    -Taped graphite to paper clips
    -Put a bit of salt in a glass of water (needed because water doesn't conduct too well)
    -Stick the graphite leads into the water

    Notes:
    It does produce Chlorine gas, I don't know how much but I could smell it (Do it in a ventilated area?). I didn't bother to measure anything and do the stoichiometry to see how much gas is produced, but I don't think it's harmful.



    12volt car batteries are high amperage and really dangerous, a terrible idea unless you really know what you're doing. (I just noticed you said car battery charger, but it still sounds like a bad idea, stick with the 9Volt)


    WHAT?!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: Is this safe? 
    Forum Senior anand_kapadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonX556
    I'm trying to make a homemade electrolysis. I have a bottle and ran two wires into it. I put a balloon on top. I don't have a battery big enough, so could i hook a car battery charger to the wires? Would this work and be relatively safe?
    That seems to be an electrolysis of air
    Well as Kaboom said it is a bit risky since they are lead acid batteries. You had better used 9 volt zinc chloride cell.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4 electrolysis 
    Forum Senior anand_kapadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    300
    I want to do electrolysis of water. So I am looking what should I dilute in water to make it a conductor of electricity.
    Also If I use both the wires of copper. Would it run.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Guest
    And now..

    No problem using a car battery or charger if that is all you have available, if you go this route though, find a 12volt bulb, attach one of it's connections to one terminal of the battery/charger and then it's other terminal to one of the electrodes, the other electrode connect to the other (unused) terminal of the battery. use one of the smaller bulbs found in a car, ie an indicator or stop light light bulb. If for any reason the electrodes touch, then the bulb will light and you will know there is a problem, without the bulb you could start a fire or cause an explosion. Next choose how you collect the gas carefully! remember that when mixed they are explosive if subjected to a spark or flame. Finally don't just use salt, try lemon juice, vinegar or other mild acids (a few drops). and try different materials other than graphite, say copper, iron aluminium etc, use different electrodes and you might even be able to copper plate an iron nail! - with two copper electrodes one will get thicker and the other thinner as copper ions are stripped from one and deposited on the other. - Have fun - and don't forget to use that bulb!.

    And if you want to discover things for yourself, try mild alkalais, dust sand whatever you like....


    I have merged two identical threads here -
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8
    Thanks. Just one more question Could I use one of those 6 volt batteries from a big flashlight?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Guest
    You can but depending on the electrode (seperation & size) and acidity of the electrolyte it could last for a minute or a few hours...

    If you have an old 'wallwart' (one of those low voltage supplies that plugs in the wall and runs a radio or whatever - it would be more preferable BUT make sure that you don't touch the wires together and keep an eye on how hot it gets, (just move the electrodes further apart if it does).

    Something rated at DC OUTPUT 6V 800mA up to 20V 2Amp should do.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8
    How long does it take to fill up a balloon using a 6 volt?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Guest
    Well there's a calculation.... I think that would produce about 1cc of gas per hour (but that is hydrogen and oxygen) - so I guess you'd be looking at sevreal thousand hours, before which your battery would have gone flat...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Senior anand_kapadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    300
    Well can we use the power from A.C. mains plug by transforming it to 12v for electrolysis.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by anand_kapadia
    Well can we use the power from A.C. mains plug by transforming it to 12v for electrolysis.
    Well yes but it sounds to me as if the original poster is still in school, so dont even suggest this, dont screw around with AC power !!

    Anyway........
    Here's a question......

    Im sure that all of us at some point in our lives have licked the positive contact on a 9v battery.

    why does it taste like this ?
    why not the negative ?
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins

    Im sure that all of us at some point in our lives have licked the positive contact on a 9v battery.

    why does it taste like this ?
    why not the negative ?
    Perhaps the one you had was from a sewage worker's lantern...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins

    Im sure that all of us at some point in our lives have licked the positive contact on a 9v battery.

    why does it taste like this ?
    why not the negative ?
    Perhaps the one you had was from a sewage worker's lantern...
    Funny. No seriously, its got quite a bitter taste to it. Why ?
    It doesnt matter if it comes from a sewage worker's lantern or not, ive been told that I talk shit a lot so im quite used to the taste!
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Guest
    I haven't noticed this, but then I wouldn't apply electrodes to any part of my body (no honestly I wouldn't!) - I guess any taste would either be an illusion, the oxygen/hydrogen, or their interaction with saliva producing some other 'substance' or metallic ions from the terminal as are produced in electrolysis.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    88
    I liked both electrodes at once, that wasn't bitter, just shocking!

    The voltage could have that effect in your taste buds, like capsaicin tricks your tounge into thinking that it is on fire.
    http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6164/thinghl2.jpg
    "We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers." -Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Senior anand_kapadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    300
    Im sure that all of us at some point in our lives have licked the positive contact on a 9v battery.

    why does it taste like this ?
    why not the negative ?
    Yes i had and perhaps to know whether there is power in it or not.
    Else it is the taste of the chemicals used in it. Might be the ammonium chloride or the plating of zinc which is made on it to protect it from corrosion.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •