Notices
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: HOH + NaCl

  1. #1 HOH + NaCl 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8
    Would HOH + NaCl make HCl and NaOH? If so how could you seperate the NaOH and HCl?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    880
    concentrated Brine that is electrolized will form NaOH, Cl2 and H2. so no HCl i'm afraid.

    At least, this is what i think happens, chemistry is not my strong point


    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman Keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    88
    Will under "normal" the water wouldn't dissociate, it is covalently bonded. And if electrolized, I think Nevyn is right.
    http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6164/thinghl2.jpg
    "We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers." -Carl Sagan
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4 Re: HOH + NaCl 
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonX556
    Would HOH + NaCl make HCl and NaOH? If so how could you seperate the NaOH and HCl?
    H<sub>2</sub>0 + NaCl does not make HCl and NaOH. The NaCl is the salt of a strong acid and a strong base, so it does not dissociate in water.
    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5 Re: HOH + NaCl 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonX556
    Would HOH + NaCl make HCl and NaOH? If so how could you seperate the NaOH and HCl?
    H<sub>2</sub>0 + NaCl does not make HCl and NaOH. The NaCl is the salt of a strong acid and a strong base, so it does not dissociate in water.
    NaCl doesn't dissociate in water? Care to elaborate ... ? Because when I'm cooking pasta or potato's and I put kitchensalt in the water (NaCl), it 'almost' always completely dissociates...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6 Re: HOH + NaCl 
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas999
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonX556
    Would HOH + NaCl make HCl and NaOH? If so how could you seperate the NaOH and HCl?
    H<sub>2</sub>0 + NaCl does not make HCl and NaOH. The NaCl is the salt of a strong acid and a strong base, so it does not dissociate in water.
    NaCl doesn't dissociate in water? Care to elaborate ... ? Because when I'm cooking pasta or potato's and I put kitchensalt in the water (NaCl), it 'almost' always completely dissociates...
    It dissociates but because its the salt of a strong acid and strong base the anion and cation do not react with water and will not form NaOH and HCl. I was very tired last night.
    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    16
    You need sulfuric acid to make HCl with NaCl
    Man casts a long shadow only at morning and sunset. He stands in his own shadow at the height of his noon.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •