Notices
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Creating Plasma

  1. #1 Creating Plasma 
    Forum Freshman Kosta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    86
    In this video, plasma is created in a microwave using a grape.

    I was wondering if that really is plasma and what are the mechanics behind the whole thing. How does it work?

    Thanks 8)



    http://youtube.com/watch?v=zHt54mXjBgw


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Guest
    http://c3po.barnesos.net/homepage/lpl/grapeplasma/

    There you have the full instructions on how to do it,

    Just google "Microwave grapes plasma" for a list of sites...

    the one that points to 'stewdio.org' also has a video...

    And remember "Don't fry this at home folks!"

    And remember if you have not chosen your microwave properly you will destroy the magnetron, as there is no 'load' for it's ouput power....


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman Kosta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    86
    Thanks for the reply Mega.

    I was also wondering what the microwave is doing. Plasma is ionized gas? Why a grape? I've seen it done with a candle too... what are the mechanics of the whole thing?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Guest
    Before I answer that, how much do you know about dielectric field theory?

    As far as I remember it goes like this, the grape is cut in half, then sliced to the husk and opened out flat (but still connected) so it looks like this )(
    now the grape acts as a load and all the EM radiation is concentrated into it resulting in it heating and producing steam. The differential dieletric voltage between the two halves of several thousand volts creates arcing between the two halves and apears to ionise the steam which rises and gives off light as the electrons lose their energy. That's a simple explanation and it may be wrong, I accept no responsibility if it's all bullshit.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman Kosta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    86
    Cool thanks


    Oh, well what about the lit candle? that works too
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    20
    KOOL~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ i am gonna try that
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    20
    Isn't it dangerous to inhale the fumes produced by this? It's called nitrogen dioxide which is poisonous. Or am I way off?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •