Notices
Results 1 to 30 of 30
Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By Strange
  • 1 Post By KALSTER
  • 5 Post By John Galt
  • 1 Post By JoshuaL
  • 1 Post By JoshuaL
  • 1 Post By dmwyant

Thread: Silver

  1. #1 Silver 
    Forum Freshman stopandthink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8
    Why does drinking silver turn you blue?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by stopandthink View Post
    Why does drinking silver turn you blue?
    To show that you are an idiot?

    It is called argyria. I think it is because silver is relatively unreactive and so the colloidal silver particles get carried around the body unchanged and deposited in the tissues.


    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Junior epidecus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    268
    Here 'ya go...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In animals and humans, silver accumulates in the body over time. Chronic intake of silver products can result in an accumulation of silver or silver sulfide particles in the skin. As in photography (where silver is used due to its reactivity with light), these particles in the skin darken with exposure to sunlight, resulting in a blue or gray discoloration of the skin. This condition is known as argyria.
    Are you planning on joining a Na'vi tribe?
    Dis muthufukka go hard. -Quote
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman stopandthink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8
    Are you planning on joining a Na'vi tribe?[/QUOTE]

    Lol, no it's just that i found it interesting how drinking colloidal silver can have such a drastic effect,yet not harm the body.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    I think there is one case of someone dying from it.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,411
    Quote Originally Posted by epidecus View Post

    Are you planning on joining a Na'vi tribe?
    lol, woad would be easier.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Of course the ancient Britons used woad, a blue dye, to colour their bodies. They left a vertical line down their spine untouched by the woad. So you can see even from early times in Britain we have always had a white line down the middle of the woad.
    SpeedFreek, dmwyant and epidecus like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Junior JoshuaL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by stopandthink View Post
    Lol, no it's just that i found it interesting how drinking colloidal silver can have such a drastic effect,yet not harm the body.
    stopandthink, I'm afraid you are wrong that it does not harm the body. Taken in small enough doses, of course, you are correct, but you get those doses from your regular diet. If you start taking extra, you are getting more than you need. As I have pointed out elsewhere on this forum, you should read the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine's page on colloidal silver. Colloidal Silver | NCCAM

    EDIT: Here too is the reported case of death attributed to silver toxicity.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15111684
    Last edited by JoshuaL; October 7th, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
    "The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions is... doubt. Doubt is humble, and that's what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting sh*t dead wrong."

    Take two of these and call me in the morning
    .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by stopandthink View Post
    Why does drinking silver turn you blue?
    It doesn't, what evidence do you have that it does? The argyria is not due to the silver, but impurities in the colloidal from a handful of idiots who did not know what they were doing. Big pharma is scared to death of colloidal silver because its an extremely low cost and powerful non dangerous cure all. Capable of healing disease that the industry has spent billions convincing people are not curable.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by ttown View Post
    t doesn't, what evidence do you have that it does?
    Have you decided to pollute as many threads as possible with your ignorance?

    Here, first thing I found, I'm sure there is plenty more: "In the biospectrometric analysis of skin biopsies from 10 cases of generalized argyria, the authors confirmed that the degree of the discoloration is directly dependent on the amount of silver present."
    Silver (CASRN 7440-22-4) | IRIS | US EPA
    JoshuaL likes this.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    76
    and no where in that study was the actual metals that were present investigated in the cases, wow, such a gross error.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by ttown View Post
    and no where in that study was the actual metals that were present investigated in the cases, wow, such a gross error.
    Which bit of "the authors confirmed that the degree of the discoloration is directly dependent on the amount of silver present" did you not understand?

    There are plenty more papers with an analysis of the silver content of various tissues in cases of argyria. Would you like to go and do some research and then come back with some intelligent comments? Or would you like a grown-up to look them up for you and read them to you out loud.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Life-Size Nanoputian Flick Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Flatland
    Posts
    5,437
    Quote Originally Posted by ttown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stopandthink View Post
    Why does drinking silver turn you blue?
    It doesn't, what evidence do you have that it does? The argyria is not due to the silver, but impurities in the colloidal from a handful of idiots who did not know what they were doing. Big pharma is scared to death of colloidal silver because its an extremely low cost and powerful non dangerous cure all. Capable of healing disease that the industry has spent billions convincing people are not curable.
    I get colloidal silver used as an antiseptic, but can you explain to me how it can cure diseases than "Big Pharma" doesn't want to cure? You talk about evidence, yet I've seen no evidence that colloidal silver is a miracule cure-all. It's been around for decades and no one has created a real medicine out of it. It's relegated to the holistic section.
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." -Calvin
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    76
    here just one example, i thought this was widely known? http://www.ihsite.com/user/silver%20water%20dispersion%5D.pdf

    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Junior JoshuaL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    268
    ttown, the silver kills the bacteria, yes, we all know that. The point is that it is not good for humans. The experiement in the PDF you reference are done in petri dishes, not in people.
    "The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions is... doubt. Doubt is humble, and that's what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting sh*t dead wrong."

    Take two of these and call me in the morning
    .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaL View Post
    ttown, the silver kills the bacteria, yes, we all know that. The point is that it is not good for humans. The experiement in the PDF you reference are done in petri dishes, not in people.
    The question of good or not, as with most things we ingest into our bodies, is a question of quantity.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Administrator KALSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,231
    Quote Originally Posted by ttown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stopandthink View Post
    Why does drinking silver turn you blue?
    It doesn't, what evidence do you have that it does? The argyria is not due to the silver, but impurities in the colloidal from a handful of idiots who did not know what they were doing. Big pharma is scared to death of colloidal silver because its an extremely low cost and powerful non dangerous cure all. Capable of healing disease that the industry has spent billions convincing people are not curable.
    You know, if "Big pharma" really are a bunch of douches, then displays like these of yours are playing right into their hands by making such a poor case against them. Your shoddy standards of scientific investigation is making people scoff at you, not making them think twice. You might want to have a think about that.
    Last edited by KALSTER; October 12th, 2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: grammar
    Flick Montana likes this.
    Disclaimer: I do not declare myself to be an expert on ANY subject. If I state something as fact that is obviously wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me. I welcome such corrections in an attempt to be as truthful and accurate as possible.

    "Gullibility kills" - Carl Sagan
    "All people know the same truth. Our lives consist of how we chose to distort it." - Harry Block
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by KALSTER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ttown View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stopandthink View Post
    Why does drinking silver turn you blue?
    It doesn't, what evidence do you have that it does? The argyria is not due to the silver, but impurities in the colloidal from a handful of idiots who did not know what they were doing. Big pharma is scared to death of colloidal silver because its an extremely low cost and powerful non dangerous cure all. Capable of healing disease that the industry has spent billions convincing people are not curable.
    You know, if "Big pharma" really are a bunch of douches, then displays like these of yours are playing right into there hands by making such a poor case against them. Your shoddy standards of scientific investigation is making people scoff at you, not making them think twice. You might want to have a think about that.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by ttown View Post
    The question of good or not, as with most things we ingest into our bodies, is a question of quantity.
    Quite. And in excessive quantities it causes argyria.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Forum Bachelors Degree dmwyant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Of course the ancient Britons used woad, a blue dye, to colour their bodies. They left a vertical line down their spine untouched by the woad. So you can see even from early times in Britain we have always had a white line down the middle of the woad.
    That sir, is an excellent pun, I tip my hat to you. Woad was also an hallucinogenic.
    Not all who wander are lost... Some of us just misplaced our destination.

    I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of a man is to live, not to exist.
    -Jack London
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by dmwyant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    Of course the ancient Britons used woad, a blue dye, to colour their bodies. They left a vertical line down their spine untouched by the woad. So you can see even from early times in Britain we have always had a white line down the middle of the woad.
    That sir, is an excellent pun, I tip my hat to you. Woad was also an hallucinogenic.
    Thank you, but I cannot take credit for it. I believe it was from the partnership of two British comedy writers Frank Muir and Dennis Norden, sometime in the mid 1960s. I've been waiting over forty years for an occassion to use it. Sometimes patience pays off.
    KALSTER, JoshuaL, Ascended and 2 others like this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Forum Junior epidecus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    268
    Lol! I can't imagine waiting for a blue woad topic to pop up! It must feel redeeming in a way
    Dis muthufukka go hard. -Quote
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,411
    Would I be right in thinking silver may also offer some antiviral properties and as such may some hope should conventional antibiotics have become ineffectual through over use and resistance build ups.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Junior JoshuaL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    268
    That is exactly why it has become popular. Because yes, it kills bacteria, just like bleach kills bacteria. Or napalm. This does not make it wise to drink the stuff. It is currently being used medicinally as a TOPICAL antiseptic in some areas, which has been ok, because you are not ingesting it.

    Sorry, just saw you were referring to viruses. Antibiotics do not work on viruses, just to be clear. There are no antibiotics that have ever been used against viruses. They are used against bacteria. That is what makes viral disease so menacing (HIV, Anthrax, Ebola...), and why we spend so much money developing methods to stave them off. (Viruses are not cells and therefor can not be disrupted in the same way bacteria can.)
    KALSTER likes this.
    "The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions is... doubt. Doubt is humble, and that's what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting sh*t dead wrong."

    Take two of these and call me in the morning
    .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,411
    I read an article that suggests silver may also be instrumental in the fight against diseases, is this a credible article?

    A Promising Cure for URTI Pandemics
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Junior JoshuaL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    268
    Nice! Looks legit at first glance. I'll investigate further when I get to my computer. The question will again not be just does silver kill the virus, but what are the quantities needed to be effective and are these quantities safe for humans.
    Ascended likes this.
    "The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions is... doubt. Doubt is humble, and that's what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting sh*t dead wrong."

    Take two of these and call me in the morning
    .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Forum Junior JoshuaL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    268
    Huh. Got a real mixed bag here of credible and not-so-credible sources. I think it can be summed up by one researchers statement:
    Medical literature shows that a variety of viruses have been successfully treated with silver-based drugs. However, 'silver salts' and/or inferior silver preparations lack the bio-availability, active silver content, and safety needed to be effective. [1]
    In other words, we need clinical trials to determine efficacy and safety measures. Otherwise people are just taking any damned thing and hoping it will work. There is no regulation of silver-as-medicine, so you don't know if you'r getting "the good stuff" or if you're getting crap, or maybe getting something that--although it might be genuine silver--will not help you in any way, and may in fact harm you. It is not just the fact that it is silver that matters here. There are over 30 isotopes of silver. Which one are you drinking? How do you know? How do you know that particular one is effective but not harmful? Etc, etc. You get the idea. But with all those disclaimers I would say this looks like a promising endeavor. Let's do it right though, and not just take wild guesses at it because someone convinced us. Let's find out for certain! *steps down from soapbox*
    "The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions is... doubt. Doubt is humble, and that's what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting sh*t dead wrong."

    Take two of these and call me in the morning
    .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28  
    Ascended Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    3,411
    Sounds like we still have a long way to go to fully understanding just how useful it might turn out to be. Given that this article was a few years old I would have hoped we might have been a bit further forward with research especially if it really does have miracle cure all properties.
    Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it. - confucius
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29  
    Forum Bachelors Degree dmwyant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaL View Post
    That is exactly why it has become popular. Because yes, it kills bacteria, just like bleach kills bacteria. Or napalm. This does not make it wise to drink the stuff. It is currently being used medicinally as a TOPICAL antiseptic in some areas, which has been ok, because you are not ingesting it.

    Sorry, just saw you were referring to viruses. Antibiotics do not work on viruses, just to be clear. There are no antibiotics that have ever been used against viruses. They are used against bacteria. That is what makes viral disease so menacing (HIV, Anthrax, Ebola...), and why we spend so much money developing methods to stave them off. (Viruses are not cells and therefor can not be disrupted in the same way bacteria can.)
    I have socks and underwear with silver in them... I have been athletes foot and jock itch free ever since... of course regular bathing helps with this as well but when you are out in the "field" for a week or more with nothing but wipes to wash with.... I guess it is true what they say about silver linings...
    JoshuaL likes this.
    Not all who wander are lost... Some of us just misplaced our destination.

    I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of a man is to live, not to exist.
    -Jack London
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30  
    Forum Junior JoshuaL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    268
    Silver linings. XD
    That is brilliant. I may need to buy some new socks.
    Last edited by JoshuaL; October 20th, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
    "The only appropriate attitude for man to have about the big questions is... doubt. Doubt is humble, and that's what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting sh*t dead wrong."

    Take two of these and call me in the morning
    .
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. water and silver
    By therockstar920 in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 9th, 2011, 10:58 AM
  2. Silver instead of Copper
    By Nogold4u in forum Physics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 7th, 2009, 04:14 PM
  3. Silver vs Gold
    By latehorn in forum Business & Economics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: September 6th, 2008, 06:16 AM
  4. silver and gold
    By frank17 in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 13th, 2005, 08:53 AM
  5. silver and gold
    By frank17 in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 9th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •