Notices
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Harold14370

Thread: Boiling Water with high powered lasers

  1. #1 Boiling Water with high powered lasers 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3
    I'm new here and im looking for some information on how best to boil water using high power laser diodes. I am using 5 X 1000mW blue laser diodes @ 445nm. I intend to project the focused beams equally apart onto some heat collecting/conducting material. This material should transfer the heat from one side to the other (part containing 1.5lt of water to boil). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by robuk2011 View Post
    I'm new here and im looking for some information on how best to boil water using high power laser diodes. I am using 5 X 1000mW blue laser diodes @ 445nm. I intend to project the focused beams equally apart onto some heat collecting/conducting material. This material should transfer the heat from one side to the other (part containing 1.5lt of water to boil). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Five 1000 milliwatt diodes will produce 5 watts. It will take you forever to boil 1.5 liters, if it can even be done.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robuk2011 View Post
    I'm new here and im looking for some information on how best to boil water using high power laser diodes. I am using 5 X 1000mW blue laser diodes @ 445nm. I intend to project the focused beams equally apart onto some heat collecting/conducting material. This material should transfer the heat from one side to the other (part containing 1.5lt of water to boil). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Five 1000 milliwatt diodes will produce 5 watts. It will take you forever to boil 1.5 liters, if it can even be done.
    Can you suggest any material? these laser burn instantly so i think its possible that they would boil the water eventually. This video proves it and this is with a lower power green laser pointer: Handheld Laser Boils Water? - YouTube
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by robuk2011 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold14370 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robuk2011 View Post
    I'm new here and im looking for some information on how best to boil water using high power laser diodes. I am using 5 X 1000mW blue laser diodes @ 445nm. I intend to project the focused beams equally apart onto some heat collecting/conducting material. This material should transfer the heat from one side to the other (part containing 1.5lt of water to boil). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Five 1000 milliwatt diodes will produce 5 watts. It will take you forever to boil 1.5 liters, if it can even be done.
    Can you suggest any material? these laser burn instantly so i think its possible that they would boil the water eventually. This video proves it and this is with a lower power green laser pointer: Handheld Laser Boils Water? - YouTube
    Youtube videos don't prove anything. They can be easily faked, and often are. A laser burns instantly because it concentrates its energy in a very small area, causing the temperature to increase at the point where it is focused. To cause bulk boiling of the water, you have to heat the whole volume to the boiling point, so the focusing of the laser does not do any good. You could probably vaporize some water right at the point where the laser is focused, but the steam bubbles would rapidly condense before they reached the surface. Is that what you want to do? Then pick any material that has a high emissivity at the laser frequency.
    spoonman likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3
    Hi my intention is to heat some material that would heatup enough with the burning power of the lasers to have like a hot plate that will boil the water. I thought copper would be a good start?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9
    Cupper might work, but I'd try to calculate the temperature your water starts at then, after some time, check the temperature again and figure out the "slope" between these to point to figure out how fast your lasers are heating up the plate and the water on it. If it's warming it up fast enough, use that material, if you want to have it go faster, use something else. It actually should work with the right material (since heat transfers to the cooler material...) and if you keep heating something up, eventually it should cause the cooler material (water, in this case) to melt/boil/whatever. ;P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    It takes about 4.2 kilojoules to heat a kilogram of water 1 degree C. You have 1.5 kg and you want to heat it about 75 C. That's 4.2*1.5*75=472.5 Kilojoules. A joule is a watt second and you are adding 5 watts. Then the time required is 472.5*1000 watt-seconds/5watts=94,500 seconds = 1575 minutes=26 hours. This assumes your container is perfectly insulated, which it won't be.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Isotope Bunbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,590
    Buy yourself an electric kettle.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. The question of boiling water...
    By Draculogenes in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: December 19th, 2007, 10:55 PM
  2. stan meyers water powered car
    By dejawolf in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 20th, 2007, 04:33 AM
  3. Boiling Water Science
    By chris083210 in forum Physics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 14th, 2007, 11:03 AM
  4. Water Powered Car THIS IS REAL
    By Truthseeker in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 6th, 2006, 12:21 PM
  5. A question about boiling water
    By mLynn in forum Chemistry
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 30th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •