Notices
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: why is O2 one more reactive than CO2

  1. #1 why is O2 one more reactive than CO2 
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    404
    I am trying to learn more about chemisty so would enjoy technical replies if you can provide them..........

    The question is what mechanics make O2 more reactive than CO2?

    Is it mostly to do with the bonding and the electron states?.........what I mean by this is that a free O2 atom with any configuration of electron shells is more volatile because its electrons are easiler to manipulate - so because there is no other force close enough (such as a C atom) to restrict the movement of the atoms from one electron shell to another it is less reactive...............am I on the right track?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Oxygen's high reactivity is due to its relatively high electronegativity. That means oxygen atoms are prone to taking electrons from other elements and reacting with the element.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    6
    Also, CO2 has more stable bonding... I can't remember the exact details of how it works, though I know basics of why O2 is more reactive...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Oxygen's high reactivity is due to its relatively high electronegativity. That means oxygen atoms are prone to taking electrons from other elements and reacting with the element.
    what about CO2 being an acid would that not make it more reactive?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Reptile Dysfunction drowsy turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by fatman57
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Oxygen's high reactivity is due to its relatively high electronegativity. That means oxygen atoms are prone to taking electrons from other elements and reacting with the element.
    what about CO2 being an acid would that not make it more reactive?
    No. CO2 itself is not an acid, but reacts with water to form carbonic acid.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." ~ Douglas Adams
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    951
    How complicated can thi be- 02 is an oxidizer-rather ractive- C02 is basically an oxide of carbon- the get 02 has already reacted-get it yet?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,893
    O2 is more reactive than CO2 mostly because O2 has two unpaired electrons, while CO2 does not.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Oh, a fish-like thing appeared
    among the annelids one day,
    It hadn't any parapods or setae to display.
    It hadn't any eyes or jaws or ventral nervous chord.
    But it had a lot of gill slits and it had a notochord
    My notochord shall change into a chain of vertebra, ..My tiny dorsal nervous chord
    shall be a mighty brain.
    And the vertebrates shall dominate
    the animal domain.
    Dear "Forum Professor":

    "Vertebra" is a singular noun.
    Therefore there can BE no "chain of vertebra."
    It would be a "chain of vertebrae."

    And no, a tiny dorsal nervous chord will never be "a mighty brain."
    It doesn't happen quite that way.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Bachelors Degree 15uliane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    depends...
    Posts
    425
    calm down, it is his signatue. Normally a signature is not meant to be examined scientifically.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacNewton
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Oh, a fish-like thing appeared
    among the annelids one day,
    It hadn't any parapods or setae to display.
    It hadn't any eyes or jaws or ventral nervous chord.
    But it had a lot of gill slits and it had a notochord
    My notochord shall change into a chain of vertebra, ..My tiny dorsal nervous chord
    shall be a mighty brain.
    And the vertebrates shall dominate
    the animal domain.
    Dear "Forum Professor":

    "Vertebra" is a singular noun.
    Therefore there can BE no "chain of vertebra."
    It would be a "chain of vertebrae."

    And no, a tiny dorsal nervous chord will never be "a mighty brain."
    It doesn't happen quite that way.
    The dorsal nerve cord is later modified into the brain and spinal cord.

    wikipedia


    The dorsal nerve cord is one of the embryonic features in chordates. Nerve cord stands for the dorsal nerve cord in chordates. The dorsal nerve cord is a hollow cord, formed from a part of the ectoderm, dorsal to the notochord. The dorsal nerve cord is modified into the brain and spinal cord later. Dorsal nerve cord is mainly found in Vertebrates.

    http://www.tutorvista.com/science/ch...cs-of-chordata


    Oh..and FUCK you, by the way.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Comet Dust Collector Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,848
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacNewton
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Oh, a fish-like thing appeared
    among the annelids one day,
    It hadn't any parapods or setae to display.
    It hadn't any eyes or jaws or ventral nervous chord.
    But it had a lot of gill slits and it had a notochord
    My notochord shall change into a chain of vertebra, ..My tiny dorsal nervous chord
    shall be a mighty brain.
    And the vertebrates shall dominate
    the animal domain.
    Dear "Forum Professor":

    "Vertebra" is a singular noun.
    Therefore there can BE no "chain of vertebra."
    It would be a "chain of vertebrae."

    And no, a tiny dorsal nervous chord will never be "a mighty brain."
    It doesn't happen quite that way.
    Oh ,and BTW, it's cord, not chord.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nirgendwo und Ueberall
    Posts
    1,296
    Quote Originally Posted by MeteorWayne
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacNewton
    Quote Originally Posted by gottspieler
    Oh, a fish-like thing appeared
    among the annelids one day,
    It hadn't any parapods or setae to display.
    It hadn't any eyes or jaws or ventral nervous chord.
    But it had a lot of gill slits and it had a notochord
    My notochord shall change into a chain of vertebra, ..My tiny dorsal nervous chord
    shall be a mighty brain.
    And the vertebrates shall dominate
    the animal domain.
    Dear "Forum Professor":

    "Vertebra" is a singular noun.
    Therefore there can BE no "chain of vertebra."
    It would be a "chain of vertebrae."

    And no, a tiny dorsal nervous chord will never be "a mighty brain."
    It doesn't happen quite that way.
    Oh ,and BTW, it's cord, not chord.
    Copied the poem from a website, thanks for letting me know.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Veracity Vigilante inow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    3,499
    Quote Originally Posted by MeteorWayne
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacNewton
    Dear "Forum Professor":

    "Vertebra" is a singular noun.
    Therefore there can BE no "chain of vertebra."
    It would be a "chain of vertebrae."

    And no, a tiny dorsal nervous chord will never be "a mighty brain."
    It doesn't happen quite that way.
    Oh ,and BTW, it's cord, not chord.
    Ain't Skitt's / McKean's Law a bitch?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by 15uliane
    calm down, it is his signatue. (sic) Normally a signature is not meant to be examined scientifically.
    I corrected his ignorant remarks very calmly. Just because you wish to make a contribution does not give you the right to mischaracterize what I said.

    Please learn how to spell "signature."

    Leftists condemned President Bush as being "stupid" for years for the most trivial verbal gaffes such as your own. I suppose you want to be excused on the basis of a slight oversight, and nothing more.

    When did you ever argue on behalf of President Bush for making a slight oversight? Be honest. I suspect that like so many others on the Left, you mocked him as a "moron."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacNewton
    I corrected his ignorant remarks very calmly.
    His remarks were not necessarily ignorant. You are making an unwarranted assumption in making such a statement. (That is, however, to be expected of you. Your arrogance appears to be inversely proportional to your intellect.) It is much more likely that they were casual oversights that only an anally retentive troublemaker would draw attention to.

    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacNewton
    Just because you wish to make a contribution does not give you the right to mischaracterize what I said.
    Please identify where in the forum rules, implicitly or explicitly, he is denied that right.

    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacNewton
    Please learn how to spell "signature."
    Once again you are making assumptions. You should probably have written 'please learn how to type signature', or better yet 'please make more of an effort to type signature correctly'. However your best plan would have been to acquire a ruler or similar measuring device and report back to us on how far up your ass your head is buried.

    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacNewton
    Leftists condemned President Bush as being "stupid" for years for the most trivial verbal gaffes such as your own. I suppose you want to be excused on the basis of a slight oversight, and nothing more.
    gottspieler isn't claiming the intellectual rigour to run the most powerful country in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by IsaacNewton
    When did you ever argue on behalf of President Bush for making a slight oversight? Be honest.
    Well, I can't be absolutely certain, but here is a partial list, with dates.
    May 14th 2002
    May 18th 2002
    October 22 2003
    December 24 2003
    March 7 2004
    July 12 2004

    Does that help?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •