Notices
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Indoor lead acid battery use

  1. #1 Indoor lead acid battery use 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3
    I'd like to use a deep cycle lead acid battery to power a 100 watt device during a power outage. I know that a non-sealed lead acid battery will vent hydrogen while it's being charged, but how about while it's being used (discharged)? (I can recharge it in the basement, but I'd need to use it in the house.)

    I'm asking about a non-sealed deep cycle battery because I can buy a non-sealed now, but would need to wait before buying a sealed one.

    Also, I'm not going to hold anyone, or this board, liable in any way for anything said, so please be honest. Also, I'm a man and not a child, which means I should have the right to accept less than 100% safety if I decide to (however that statement does not mean I am foolish, it's just that nowadays the general consensus is "if it's not 100% safe make it illegal" and people seem to think they can decide to not allow others to make decisions for themselves). So please just give me facts and don't try to protect me, that's my job and I accept it.


    Thanks.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Charging is when the hydrogen is generated, so you should be okay.

    One battery won't make a lot of hydrogen, but take a few precautions when you charge it in your basement. Dont do it near any open flames, and be careful about putting it underneath anything that would tend to collect the hydrogen, like a beam pocket.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3
    Harold14370, thanks very much for the info.

    After reading you post I thought maybe it would be a good thing to have one of my tabletop fans aimed at the battery while it charges. What are your thoughts on that? I do have a gas hot water heater in the basement. Would circulating the hydrogen with the fan be problem or would the hydrogen be diluted enough because of the fan?

    Also, what will become of the hydrogen generated and released in the basement?

    Thanks again.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3
    Can anybody help with my followup question (or the original if you like)?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Your Mama! GiantEvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    2,302
    Hydrogen is the lightest atomic element so it will always rise relative to other gases. Regardless of the presence/absence of a fan the hydrogen is eventually going "up". The flame of your gas water heater should be located low. Isolate your battery from the ground, it should be well away and higher than your heater flame. Unless your basement is hermetically sealed the hydrogen should rise through any vent system, window, or the floor into your house. The universe is over 70% hydrogen and it's non toxic.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •