Notices
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Mass spectrometry software

  1. #1 Mass spectrometry software 
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    404
    Can anyone recommend any Mass spectrometry software for windows/linux?

    I have a web cam and a 400x microscope and wondering if I can use these for Mass spectrometry at all?

    Much obliged!


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    JGK
    JGK is offline
    Forum Freshman JGK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    27
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_spectrometry

    Somehow I don't think you'll succeed in building an MS with a fairly low spec microscope and a web cam.

    Theres a reason why MS units are proiced in the 100K and higher price range.

    Also the software tends to be manufacturer instrument range specific, I'm not aware of any cheap ones, however those I've come across from instrument vendors were windows based.


    "Therapy is expensive. Popping bubble wrap is cheap. You choose."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    404
    thanks - one I found was this:

    http://www.sisweb.com/software/csw/mscalc.htm

    You can't blame me for trying - it would be great to be able to do it!!!! I'm still on the lookout though..............
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    JGK
    JGK is offline
    Forum Freshman JGK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by fatman57
    thanks - one I found was this:

    http://www.sisweb.com/software/csw/mscalc.htm

    You can't blame me for trying - it would be great to be able to do it!!!! I'm still on the lookout though..............
    Ah! you were looking for interpretation software rather than something that could control a mass spectromenter. I'm sorry but when you were talking about building a MS I thought you wanted to use the software to control it.
    "Therapy is expensive. Popping bubble wrap is cheap. You choose."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Bachelors Degree
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by JGK
    Quote Originally Posted by fatman57
    thanks - one I found was this:

    http://www.sisweb.com/software/csw/mscalc.htm

    You can't blame me for trying - it would be great to be able to do it!!!! I'm still on the lookout though..............
    Ah! you were looking for interpretation software rather than something that could control a mass spectromenter. I'm sorry but when you were talking about building a MS I thought you wanted to use the software to control it.
    lol - you mgiht have been right the first time! when you say control what do you mean?

    In laymans terms I want to plug a camera into a computer, take pictures of stuff and then find out what that stuff is...................but this might not be altogether possible!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    JGK
    JGK is offline
    Forum Freshman JGK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by fatman57
    In laymans terms I want to plug a camera into a computer, take pictures of stuff and then find out what that stuff is...................but this might not be altogether possible!
    If that is what you want to do then that is not Mass Spectrometry it's photgraphy

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_spectrometry

    The software I was referring to would select/control all aspects (voltages, temperatures, gas flows etc.) within the mass spectrometer used to generate a mass spectrum.

    The software you described interprets the spectra produced by the MS only
    "Therapy is expensive. Popping bubble wrap is cheap. You choose."
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •