Notices
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By psudopsyense

Thread: what happens when you add vitamin c to chlorinated water

  1. #1 what happens when you add vitamin c to chlorinated water 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3
    i am very allergic to chlorine in my shower. around where i live, they add too much to the water.

    i am considering a shower filter that neutralizes the chlorine by exposing the water to vitamin c. i am not going to mention any by name.

    some guy on the net (who i don't trust because trying to make money of this claim) claims that adding vitamin c to chlorinated water results in a small amount of hydrochloric acid being produced.

    obviously i don't want to be inhaling the hot vapors of -anything- while i am showering.

    what really happens?...


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 vitamin c 
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    934
    Nothing, you get relieved of some money.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3
    ok why
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3
    ok why
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3
    His claim is pretty ridiculous because hydrochloric acid exists as almost completely dissociated H+ and Cl-'s, very few actually HCL molecules stick together or for very long. I did a google search and one site said that injections (I assume IV injections is what they referred to) of vitamin C could have their pH adjusted to the more acidic using HCl, which suggests that the two don't react.

    That's why that claim seems very shady.
    "Science is the search for truth" -Linus Pauling
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6 vitamin C 
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    934
    Vitamin c is ascorbic acid, highly soluble in water 1gm in 3ml H2O. you say "exposed to" all you would be doing is dissolving it rapidly and lowering the pH of the water slightly. I f you wanna blow your dough $$ this is a good way to get rid of some.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 Re: what happens when you add vitamin c to chlorinated water 
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,178
    Quote Originally Posted by falafel
    i am very allergic to chlorine in my shower. around where i live, they add too much to the water.

    i am considering a shower filter that neutralizes the chlorine by exposing the water to vitamin c. i am not going to mention any by name.

    some guy on the net (who i don't trust because trying to make money of this claim) claims that adding vitamin c to chlorinated water results in a small amount of hydrochloric acid being produced.

    obviously i don't want to be inhaling the hot vapors of -anything- while i am showering.

    what really happens?...
    http://www.ionizers.org/chlorineremoval.html

    http://www.ccbw.com/index.cfm?fuseac...ory&catID=1353

    These devices will remove chlorine. I know carbon removes a lot of chlorine from water. Not that there is a lot of chlorine to begin with in water. Most people have no idea of how little chlorine there is in water to begin with. If you were to put a few drops of chlorine in a small bathroom, you could fill the bathroom with deadly fumes.

    Charcoal does work. They also say they use KDF or small brass particles as well. I know how chlorine likes to stick to brass.


    For drinking water these were great filters. I had one years ago because the distributor was near my house. I found them on the Internet and I am going to get one myself.
    http://www.everpure.com/Pages/default.htm


    Sincerely,


    William McCormick
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Posts
    1
    a carbon block filter is effective in reducing chlorine. search for aquasana or rainshow'r shower filters
    http://www.bestfilters.com/aquasana-shower-filters.html
    http://www.bestfilters.com/rainshowr...r-filters.html
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9 OMG I had to sign up for this forum just to reply to this 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1
    Holy cow, not a single person on a science and chemistry forum knows this?

    First,what fizzlooney, a supposed PhD told you is false.

    Vitamin C reacts very rapidly with chloramine (which is more a more common form of chlorine in municipal water supplies) and forms dehydroascorbic acid, ammonia, and chloride.

    It also reacts with chlorine, to forms dehydroascorbic acid and hydrochloric acid (in insignificantly small quantities for the amount of chlorine typically present in tapwater).

    Theory aside, A fellow who goes by the alias ReviewGuy did an independent test of the different shower filters, you can read about his results here.
    http://home.roadrunner.com/~reviewgu...t_results.html

    Personally, I don't believe anything I read on the net, so even though I knew theoretically this should work, I wouldn't put it past folks online to sell a filter filled with sand instead of vitamin C that does nothing, so I bought one from a place I could return it to and also bought a couple cheap chlorine test strips along with it. I tested it out for myself, and the one I bought worked miraculously. I was impressed at the speed at which the reaction occured, I wasn't sure it could react that fast as the water flows through a showerhead, but it turns out it can.

    Don't believe bull you read online, try it for yourself. It's super easy to get a $2 chlorine test strip, so this isn't something to agonize about. Since your allergic to chlorine this will be a very worthwhile thing for you.

    The one I got is called vitashower, which is a very shady company from what I later learned, and even their product worked, so I suspect most of them do. BUT DON"T ASSUME THAT IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC, GET A CHLORINE TEST STRIP AND MAKE SURE, ITS VERY EASY JUST RUN YOUR SHOWER, COLLECT A GLASS OF WATER then insert the test strip and it will change color if there is chlorine. If not, it should be safe for you to shower.

    Change them often because once the vitamin C runs out you'll definitely notice the difference.

    I am not allergic like you I just have eczema and chlorine doesn't help it so I try to stay away from it.

    Good luck and OMG the stupid things people on here said were so appalling I had to sign up for this forum just so I could reply to this and debunk this.

    Another BS I read all over the internet is about the hydrchloric acid thats produced can harm you. I use this method myself and I can tell you these folks don't know what HCl is. If you stick your hand in even relatively dilute HCl YOU WILL FEEL IT STINGING YOU INSTANTLY (but this is very dangrous so I don't recommend trying that one). IT WILL BE INSTANTLY CLEAR TO YOU THAT YOU CANNOT FEEL ANY ACID FROM A VITAMIN C DECHLORNIATION BECAUSE VERY VERY LITTLE HCL is produced and it is so dilute that you could (and I have tried this) drink it, and IT IS PERFECTLY SAFE.

    There are trace amounts of pharmaceutical drugs in your tapwater too, so some trace HCL doesn't do jack.

    I am no PhD, only having had a couple college chemistry courses, but I know my science is accurate because I HAVE TESTED IT OUT IN AN EXPERIMENT AND SAW FOR MYSELF.

    So you folks claiming to be PhDs, what school did you go to because not only are you wrong, but you are misinforming others too which pisses me off.

    Here is a US governement reputable website article about professional dechlorination that explains this in detail complete with equations and details.

    http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d///pubs/html.../05231301.html

    In college I remember learning how to calculate how many moles of HCl would be produced, but this was a while ago so I would probably do the calculation wrong, but if someone smarter than me is on here who knows what they are talking about wants to chime in, it would be cool to figure out exactly how much HCl is produced in a real world example....

    Anyway, good luck and yes, vitamin C is your friend if you want to neutralize chlorine.

    P.S. JUST ASK ANY PET STORE CHLORINE KILLS FISH AND THEY HAVE VITAMIN C TABLETS THAT NEURALIZE IT, THIS IS A COMMON PRACTICE.

    I KNOW IT SOUNDS SKETCHY which is why I researched it so much myself, but this one is not a "miracle water filter" BS product. Vitamin C DECHLORINATION IS A PROVEN SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE CHEMICAL REACTION IN WIDE USE.

    Too bad for most of the companies selling this that when they advertise like "Vitamin C shower filter" no one believes them because it sounds so ridiculous. My reaction was also at first "I wish", but I read a bit about it and was like holy cow this is real.

    OH AND ONE LAST THING - I TRIED THE GAC carbon filters designed to remove chlorine and they do REDUCE the amount of chlorine but are NOT very effective. Like I said I tested it out with chlorine test strips and it reduced the chloramine in my tap water by less than 50%, which is kind of useless for chlorine removal, the only good thing is if you are a health nut and want to bathe in pure drinking water it does filter out other stuff too which is probably not great for you.

    BUT IN YOUR CASE, SINCE YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO CHLORINE, a GAC CHLORINE FILTER IS NOT EFFECTIVE ENOUGH TO BE USEFUL TO YOU, despite what rogerB said above, he obviously has not tested it (because I have).

    I actually bought the GAC filter first, since folks claimed it worked and I thought it had a higher likelyhood of working becuase carbon filters are more reputable so those folks wouldn't lie, so I thought I'd give that a shot first. After it didn't work and I retunred it I tried the vitamin C one and was amazed that that did work.

    If you don't believe me do the same thing I did, use a chlorine test strip with one of the other devices the folks who posted above recommended, just be sure to get it from someplace that takes returns!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    First, the PhD is indicative of how many posts the member has made, not the degree they hold in 'real life' (though from what I can tell, fizzlooney is an accomplished chemist).

    Second, you just made an awfully big deal over a thread that has been dead for going on 1.75 years. Perhaps you haven't been around the forum long since this is your first post, but in general we do not appreciate thread resurrection, so kindly keep that in mind.
    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11 Regarding your concern of acidity in using Vitamin C Shower Filters 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1
    Your concern is not very valid. There is an USDA article stating that there are several advantages of using Vitamin C in shower filters.

    Compared to other chlorine removing chemicals (for example Sulfur based chemicals) there are two specific advantages of using Vitamin C in removing chlorine from water. The first is that Vitamin C does not lower the oxygen dissolved in water as much as sulfur-based chemicals. The second advantage is that Vitamin C is not toxic to other living cells including aquatic life at the levels used for de-chlorination.

    The below text address your concern regarding acidity:
    Ascorbic acid (what is inside Vitamin C) is mildly acidic. In large enough doses it will lower the pH of the treated water. However at the levels used for de-chlorination, the impact of lowering the pH of water is not significant. The other from of Vitamin C which is Sodium Ascorbate is pH neutral and will not change the pH of the treated water.

    Source: chlorinefilter.net. They also have the link to the USDA article
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by KishanJay View Post
    Your concern is not very valid. There is an USDA article stating that there are several advantages of using Vitamin C in shower filters.

    Compared to other chlorine removing chemicals (for example Sulfur based chemicals) there are two specific advantages of using Vitamin C in removing chlorine from water. The first is that Vitamin C does not lower the oxygen dissolved in water as much as sulfur-based chemicals. The second advantage is that Vitamin C is not toxic to other living cells including aquatic life at the levels used for de-chlorination.

    The below text address your concern regarding acidity:
    Ascorbic acid (what is inside Vitamin C) is mildly acidic. In large enough doses it will lower the pH of the treated water. However at the levels used for de-chlorination, the impact of lowering the pH of water is not significant. The other from of Vitamin C which is Sodium Ascorbate is pH neutral and will not change the pH of the treated water.

    Source: chlorinefilter.net. They also have the link to the USDA article
    Congratulations on the two year necro-post. This could be some kind of a record.
    -Shunnka X, shlunkaa X, Shnkla X, Shunkla X, Shlinka X, Shlunka, Correct.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,618
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    This could be some kind of a record.
    Not even close.

    I'm not knowledgeable on the topic so cannot gauge the accuracy of the commentary. It is interesting, nonetheless, and I plan on looking into it. It's given me an idea I had not thought of before.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14 Flat earthers rejoice! 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1
    Forums are designed for the spreading of information & if a certain thread on a given forum has not answered the OP's question it should be more than welcomed that a new relevant post is made, weather it "resurrects" the dead or not. This idea of leaving old posts to die is ridiculous just because you don't want to be bothered by an inbox notification for something you commented on "1.75 years ago". Don't like it? Don't comment, turn off the notifications or change your spam settings. In a forum truly based on knowledge & learning, especially something like science & chemistry, accepting a given theory with as many available solutions like dechlorination as "truth, the end" is equivalent to being a flat earther.
    jocular likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,388
    Quote Originally Posted by psudopsyense View Post
    In a forum truly based on knowledge & learning, especially something like science & chemistry, accepting a given theory with as many available solutions like dechlorination as "truth, the end" is equivalent to being a flat earther.

    I beg you pardon?
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,221
    Quote Originally Posted by psudopsyense View Post
    This idea of leaving old posts to die is ridiculous
    The person posing the question hasn't posted for nearly 5 years. Do you really think he is still waiting for an answer?
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17  
    Forum Sophomore Nisslbody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    102
    This thread is hilarious.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    934
    kill it and put us out of misery
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,716
    You have to buy the irrigated water from a Cranberry farm, what happens is commercials are made.
    -Shunnka X, shlunkaa X, Shnkla X, Shunkla X, Shlinka X, Shlunka, Correct.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and in Bayside, Ca. since 1981, Humboldt since 1977
    Posts
    11,665
    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    You have to buy the irrigated water from a Cranberry farm, what happens is commercials are made.
    You forgot the blueberry additive!! Shame on you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    The person posing the question hasn't posted for nearly 5 years. Do you really think he is still waiting for an answer?
    Well I was looking for an answer via google, and I found gaffe's comment very helpful and thoroughly scientific. Perhaps if he wasn't poopooed by admins and mods then he may have stuck around to contribute to your supposed science forum

    Quote Originally Posted by Cogito Ergo Sum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by psudopsyense View Post
    In a forum truly based on knowledge & learning, especially something like science & chemistry, accepting a given theory with as many available solutions like dechlorination as "truth, the end" is equivalent to being a flat earther.
    I beg you pardon?
    Valid Criticism. Which part didn't you understand?

    I'm so over necro zombie whingers who complain when new information is provided to an unresolved thread. Get a lesson in the history of science and philosophy, it was sometimes centuries between posts on some threads.

    I only joined this forum to blast you meganoobs. I have no desire to move into this neighbourhood when there are plenty of locales populated by open minded seekers of wisdom. Good luck with your pretend phds.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,221
    Quote Originally Posted by gudzwabofer View Post
    Well I was looking for an answer via google, and I found gaffe's comment very helpful and thoroughly scientific.
    Good. I'm glad to hear it. (I have no idea whether his comments were accurate or not.)

    Perhaps if he wasn't poopooed by admins and mods then he may have stuck around to contribute to your supposed science forum
    He wasn't "poopooed". One person clarified the meaning of "PhD" on the forum, and pointed out that the thread was quite old. Meh.

    I only joined this forum to blast you meganoobs.
    That appears to be the case with psudopsyense as well. Signing up to a forum just to insult people, and contribute nothing, seems just a little bit pointless.

    But feel free to stick around an contribute. You might see a more positive side to the forum in other threads (you will undoubtedly see others which make this one look like a bed of (thornless) roses).
    Without wishing to overstate my case, everything in the observable universe definitely has its origins in Northamptonshire -- Alan Moore
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •