Notices
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Toxic Mechanisms of Activity?

  1. #1 Toxic Mechanisms of Activity? 
    Forum Sophomore Tharghana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    I found my self reading up about Chlorine Gas, and how it poisonous, I saw that it mentioned how much was deadly, (around <600pm) but it never mentioned exactly what Chlorine's Mechanism was, I Later found some about the Toxicology of Chlorine and it stated that Chlorine's was not well understood, basically they know it kills, but they don't know why. Knowing that Death is probably not a mechanism of activity, I can only think of what Chlorine Does.

    Chlorine's activity are poorly understood and the predominant anatomic site of injury may vary, depending on the chemical species produced.
    I look at the mechanisms of other Toxic chemicals. Cyanide (CN) has the mechanism of stop cells Mitochondria from making energy resulting in the stop of cellular respiration. Chlorine doesn't have the right properties to act like this so it cant be it,as well Chlorine is listed as a severe irritant and Respiratory agent.

    One Study showed that Chlorine can be detected as low as 0.2ppm by a person, which is pretty freaking low,



    Chlorine is a severe nose, throat and upper respiratory tract irritant. People exposed to chlorine, even for short periods of time, can develop a tolerance to its odour and irritating properties. In general, volunteers have experienced irritation of the nose, a weak cough, and increased dryness of the throat at concentrations ranging from 0.02 to 2 ppm. Concentrations of 1 to 2 ppm produce significant irritation and coughing, minor difficulty breathing and headache. Concentrations of 1 to 4 ppm are considered unbearable. Severe respiratory tract damage including bronchitis and pulmonary edema (a potentially fatal accumulation of fluid in the lungs) has been observed after even relatively low, brief exposures (estimates range from 15 to 60 ppm). The development of pulmonary edema may occur immediately or can be delayed up to 48 hours after exposure. Numerous cases of chlorine exposure have been reported, but actual exposure levels have not been well documented. Symptoms observed in non-fatal cases include difficulty breathing, cough, spitting up blood, tightness in the chest, a blue discolouration of the skin, severe headache, nausea, vomiting and fainting. Even with severe exposures, complete recovery usually occurs within one week to a month, depending on the extent of injury to the respiratory tract and lungs. However, long-term respiratory system and lung disorders have been observed following severe short-term exposures to chlorine.
    Source: http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/chemi..._chlorine.html

    Now, Do you guys have any thoughts on what Chlorine's Mechanism is?


    www.periodicvideos.com - A Great Site

    "Well, good chemists shouldn't lick their fingers, anyways." - Martyn Poliakoff

    "You have lived to die, and your running out of life."

    "Once and a while, I go out of my way... to kill you... a little"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Masters Degree organic god's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    567
    my best explanation is that chlorine is a strong oxidising agent meaning that when it reacts with water it will cause the hydrogen to split from the water and form some nasty chemicals like HCL, this is highly corrosive to human tissue,


    everything is mathematical.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Sophomore Tharghana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    It would make sense, because symptoms above 10ppm started showing pulmonary edema (Bleeding of the lungs) and coughing up blood.
    www.periodicvideos.com - A Great Site

    "Well, good chemists shouldn't lick their fingers, anyways." - Martyn Poliakoff

    "You have lived to die, and your running out of life."

    "Once and a while, I go out of my way... to kill you... a little"
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    135
    Organic god is correct. Chlorine was used in WW2 in the form of Tabun gas to disorient and eventually kill those who breathed it in. Chloroform, chlorine and some other chemicals, used to be used as tranquilizers. Chlorine not only causes hydrochloric acid to form and cause damage but it also interferes with nerve signals.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Sophomore Tharghana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    Tabun is a Organophosphate with the formula and is a Nerve Agent with no Chlorine, and studies have shown that Chlorine has no effect on the Nevus System, only the Respiratory System. Chloroform is Organchloride, which is used to knock people unconscious.
    www.periodicvideos.com - A Great Site

    "Well, good chemists shouldn't lick their fingers, anyways." - Martyn Poliakoff

    "You have lived to die, and your running out of life."

    "Once and a while, I go out of my way... to kill you... a little"
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •