Notices
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: inevitability

  1. #1 inevitability 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    103
    as i see it mankind or to be more percise the White race will have to find some way to get over its bias of the black race if this global warming thing is correct. by reasonable deduction if the planet warms and damaging sun rays flood the planet then the white race in time will cease to exist, since they already have trouble with the sun rays that penetrate our planet normally. the only way to ensure there survival is to mix with the black race in wholesale terms thereby sustaining there own exsitence.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    I think you have a misunderstanding of global warming. Sunburn is caused by the intensity of UV rays striking the skin. We are protected from this intensity by the ozone layer. Global warming is the accumulation of heat within earth's atmosphere. A lot of the components that promote global warming, aka pollution, "thicken" that atmosphere so to speak, and don't let the heat escape. This does not, however, lead to a thinning of the ozone layer and a greater intensity of UV rays striking the earth.

    And by the way, a dramatic increase in UV radiation the world over would harm the skin of all races by exposing us humans to levels of radiation we have never in our evolutionary past had to deal with. Lighter skinned people might suffer more severely, but if there's enough UV to actively fry light skinned people to death, then dark skinned people won't stand that much better of a chance.

    I would also hope that inter-racial tolerance would be promoted for plenty of good reasons other than a "do it or we die" mentality.


    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Ever heard of sun screen?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    103
    lighter skinned people might suffer more.


    was all i suggested and that a mixing of people may deter extinction, forget tolerance of inter racial, or fear as a motivator, just the facts.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Quote Originally Posted by curious1
    lighter skinned people might suffer more.


    was all i suggested and that a mixing of people may deter extinction, forget tolerance of inter racial, or fear as a motivator, just the facts.
    Why a mixture? Pure black would be better yet in that case, then wouldn't it?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by curious1
    lighter skinned people might suffer more.


    was all i suggested and that a mixing of people may deter extinction, forget tolerance of inter racial, or fear as a motivator, just the facts.
    if we lost the ozone layer, we'd all fry, dark skin or light skin. Those are the facts. Last I heard, though, the hole in the ozone layer is growing smaller, so I don't think we'll be in danger of going extinct through UV irradiation any time soon.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Isotope Bunbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,590
    Quote Originally Posted by paralith
    A lot of the components that promote global warming, aka pollution, "thicken" that atmosphere so to speak, and don't let the heat escape. This does not, however, lead to a thinning of the ozone layer and a greater intensity of UV rays striking the earth.
    Hi Paralith - As you say, thinning of the ozone layer is not the cause of global warming. However, climate change and the ozone layer are not entirely independent of each other. As far as I understand at the simplest level (which certainly isn't the whole story) the stratosphere is cooling while the troposphere warms. There's a sort of see-saw effect with a fulcrum that is moving lower. Anyhow, the cooling in the stratosphere somehow increases the rate of ozone destruction, so there is a tendency towards reduced ozone concentration in the stratosphere as global warming progresses in the troposphere. There might be other offsetting effects, and I think the science is still uncertain, but the point is that the two things are not independent.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard paralith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunbury
    Quote Originally Posted by paralith
    A lot of the components that promote global warming, aka pollution, "thicken" that atmosphere so to speak, and don't let the heat escape. This does not, however, lead to a thinning of the ozone layer and a greater intensity of UV rays striking the earth.
    Hi Paralith - As you say, thinning of the ozone layer is not the cause of global warming. However, climate change and the ozone layer are not entirely independent of each other. As far as I understand at the simplest level (which certainly isn't the whole story) the stratosphere is cooling while the troposphere warms. There's a sort of see-saw effect with a fulcrum that is moving lower. Anyhow, the cooling in the stratosphere somehow increases the rate of ozone destruction, so there is a tendency towards reduced ozone concentration in the stratosphere as global warming progresses in the troposphere. There might be other offsetting effects, and I think the science is still uncertain, but the point is that the two things are not independent.
    Thank you Bunbury, I stand corrected. My knowledge of gobal warming is admittedly very basic. Still, though, if the worst case scenarios of global warming come to pass, then the human species will face many other, probably much more pertinent threats to our survival than simply darker skin could solve.
    Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
    ~Jean-Paul Sartre
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Isotope Bunbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,590
    Yes, and the effects are apparent in significant ways already (melting glaciers having an economic impact in Europe and Tibet for example). But in Colorado we already deal with increased UV by wearing appropriate clothing and putting on sunblock. Inter-racial fraternization occurs too, but as far as I know it’s not a direct response to global warming.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10 Paralith, Bunbury. 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    103
    Bravo for reaching the same point, even if not in agreement with the original statement. i also concurr that as humans we would face a number of troubles related to globial warming, but i didnt thouch those issues i only assumed that in this warming trend humans in particular the light skinned race as you put it paralith may face a unique trouble as a result of skin color. and that the remedy lies in inter racial fratenization as you said Bunbury. However i attached no significants to this assumption other then the survivail of mankind (humans). i do believe however that anything that occurs in the biological world effects all biology. there is no independents in life.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Isotope Bunbury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,590
    the remedy lies in inter racial fratenization as you said Bunbury.
    No I didn’t say that it’s the remedy for anything. Just that it happens - always has and always will.

    And it’s the high elevation of Colorado that’s the reason for high UV levels, not ozone layer depletion. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •