Notices
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: hearing hallucinations

  1. #1 hearing hallucinations 
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    is there any kind of 'hearing hallucination,' where you literally hear things as if they're really happening out loud somewhere nearby, but they're not? I know people sometimes "hear things," but it's just amazing how clear it can be sometimes, and uncontrollable. Just today i was sitting in the math office at school and heard Working for the Weekend by Loverboy playing somewhere, but I haven't the slightest idea why anyone would really be playing it there, so I wonder if it was a hallucination of sorts. It's happened to me on at least one other occasion too, a long time ago.


    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: hearing hallucinations 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    is there any kind of 'hearing hallucination,' where you literally hear things as if they're really happening out loud somewhere nearby, but they're not? I know people sometimes "hear things," but it's just amazing how clear it can be sometimes, and uncontrollable. Just today i was sitting in the math office at school and heard Working for the Weekend by Loverboy playing somewhere, but I haven't the slightest idea why anyone would really be playing it there, so I wonder if it was a hallucination of sorts. It's happened to me on at least one other occasion too, a long time ago.
    yes, but in your case

    I think it's more likely to be just some weird attempt by the brain to make sense of random noise.

    Example:
    I often do not understand what people say to me immediately and take a few moments for my brain to tell me what they've said, so there is a weird delay and I will sometimes even apologise for the delay in answering due to my brain taking time to make sense of the 'sounds'.

    You know how predictive text works? Something like that.

    The brain will make a 'prediction' of what the sound represents and your memory does the rest. You 'recognised' the sound, it was not random music.


    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard spuriousmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Theoryofrelativity
    I often do not understand what people say to me immediately and take a few moments for my brain to tell me what they've said, so there is a weird delay and I will sometimes even apologise for the delay in answering due to my brain taking time to make sense of the 'sounds'.
    That's actually not so uncommon in highly intelligent people. They like processing the information they receive consciously. I noticed the same thing in one of the most intelligent people I know. He never replies instantly.

    I do respond immediately though, because I rely on my training to disconcern right and wrong patterns, not on a higher intelligence that I do not have. It's a form of hit or miss intelligence. It only works if you had a lot of training.

    Needless to say, it's not optimal.
    "Kill them all and let God sort them out."

    - Arnaud Amalric

    http://spuriousforums.com/index.php
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by spuriousmonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Theoryofrelativity
    I often do not understand what people say to me immediately and take a few moments for my brain to tell me what they've said, so there is a weird delay and I will sometimes even apologise for the delay in answering due to my brain taking time to make sense of the 'sounds'.
    That's actually not so uncommon in highly intelligent people. They like processing the information they receive consciously. I noticed the same thing in one of the most intelligent people I know. He never replies instantly.

    I do respond immediately though, because I rely on my training to disconcern right and wrong patterns, not on a higher intelligence that I do not have. It's a form of hit or miss intelligence. It only works if you had a lot of training.

    Needless to say, it's not optimal.
    I am flattered, but I think it's more likely I'm a bit deaf! Though my ego will of course accept your analysis that high intelligence is accountable for all incidences where I appear dumb

    It is an interesting process though, like being aware of the 'machinery ' of your brain. I don't understand the words immediately, and then afer a few seconds it is clear. A delayed reaction. Doesn't happen too often thankfully as it makes me look whacko!

    But it may happen more often were it not for the fact I prepare in advance for most conversations. A sort of rehearsal and prediction for what may lie ahead. Bit sad, but that's what I do, always have done. It accounts for much of my apparant psychic ability. It's like chess. I consider a scenario I will go into and then all possible 'moves' and outcomes of those moves. Thus few surprises. Which I like.

    I know...weird.


    I think I have one of those new syndromes that Americans keep inventing to supress individuality.
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    130
    What's predicitve text?
    I am.
    You can't deny it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by mastermind
    What's predicitve text?


    As per your mobile phone.
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7 Re: hearing hallucinations 
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    is there any kind of 'hearing hallucination,' where you literally hear things as if they're really happening out loud somewhere nearby, but they're not? I know people sometimes "hear things," but it's just amazing how clear it can be sometimes, and uncontrollable. Just today i was sitting in the math office at school and heard Working for the Weekend by Loverboy playing somewhere, but I haven't the slightest idea why anyone would really be playing it there, so I wonder if it was a hallucination of sorts. It's happened to me on at least one other occasion too, a long time ago.
    I have watched a documentary on a scientifically controlled experiment where a person tool a safe amount of the fly-agaric mushroom. (It is a hallucinogen; which can be deadly if not administered properly) - anyway, this person was reported to be able to "see" sound waves coming out of speakers, and "hear" light waves....strange stuff !!
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 Re: hearing hallucinations 
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    is there any kind of 'hearing hallucination,' where you literally hear things as if they're really happening out loud somewhere nearby, but they're not? I know people sometimes "hear things," but it's just amazing how clear it can be sometimes, and uncontrollable. Just today i was sitting in the math office at school and heard Working for the Weekend by Loverboy playing somewhere, but I haven't the slightest idea why anyone would really be playing it there, so I wonder if it was a hallucination of sorts. It's happened to me on at least one other occasion too, a long time ago.
    I have watched a documentary on a scientifically controlled experiment where a person tool a safe amount of the fly-agaric mushroom. (It is a hallucinogen; which can be deadly if not administered properly) - anyway, this person was reported to be able to "see" sound waves coming out of speakers, and "hear" light waves....strange stuff !!
    you mean he 'thought he could see.......'

    Some people see little green men on magic mushrooms.
    'Time is the space between birth and death' by me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    945
    i remember hearing (or seeing) about some experiment, where people could use their ears to see sounds by sending that message to the vision part of the brain....


    or something along those lines. cant remember where.
    Stumble on through life.
    Feel free to correct any false information, which unknown to me, may be included in my posts. (also - let this be a disclaimer)
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •