Notices
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Help me diagnose

  1. #1 Help me diagnose 
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "Jamerica"...When in America, Florida; when in Jamaica, St. Mary
    Posts
    959
    I posted this in the Health/Medicine forum, but since nobody really posts there, I'll post it here also:

    A woman reports that she is feeling ill and leaves work early. She then goes home and finds that her children are talking to an 18 year old who has been missing. The 18 year old runs off. She shouts 'wait! wait!' on top of her voice, and faints. Why would you say she fainted? If it's because of her illness, what illness would you diagnose her as having? More than one answers are welcome; answers would be well appreciated. 8)

    I'm writing a book and this information would really help...thanks.

    Edit: Oh, and what would you do to revive her?


    Whence comes this logic: no evidence = false?

    http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php

    Theists welcome.
    ___________
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2 Re: Help me diagnose 
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by scientstphilosophertheist
    I posted this in the Health/Medicine forum, but since nobody really posts there, I'll post it here also:

    A woman reports that she is feeling ill and leaves work early. She then goes home and finds that her children are talking to an 18 year old who has been missing. The 18 year old runs off. She shouts 'wait! wait!' on top of her voice, and faints. Why would you say she fainted? If it's because of her illness, what illness would you diagnose her as having? More than one answers are welcome; answers would be well appreciated. 8)

    I'm writing a book and this information would really help...thanks.

    Edit: Oh, and what would you do to revive her?
    That's far, far too little information to even venture a rough guess. It could be anything from severe dehydration to anemia to a brain tumor - and practically anything else in between. Even some form of poisoning. You'll have to tell MUCH more than that.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3 Re: Help me diagnose 
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "Jamerica"...When in America, Florida; when in Jamaica, St. Mary
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by scientstphilosophertheist
    I posted this in the Health/Medicine forum, but since nobody really posts there, I'll post it here also:

    A woman reports that she is feeling ill and leaves work early. She then goes home and finds that her children are talking to an 18 year old who has been missing. The 18 year old runs off. She shouts 'wait! wait!' on top of her voice, and faints. Why would you say she fainted? If it's because of her illness, what illness would you diagnose her as having? More than one answers are welcome; answers would be well appreciated. 8)

    I'm writing a book and this information would really help...thanks.

    Edit: Oh, and what would you do to revive her?
    That's far, far too little information to even venture a rough guess. It could be anything from severe dehydration to anemia to a brain tumor - and practically anything else in between. Even some form of poisoning. You'll have to tell MUCH more than that.
    I don't want to say dehydration, because she reported the illness from before. Anemia...sounds like a good idea. What about diabetes? I'm not at the stage in the book wherein more symptoms become apparent, so those are the only symptoms I'm working with now...I just want some candidates for what you'd diagnose if someone had these symptoms.

    In other words, I want extremely rough guesses, not an actual diagnosis.

    Thanks!
    Whence comes this logic: no evidence = false?

    http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php

    Theists welcome.
    ___________
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4 Re: Help me diagnose 
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by scientstphilosophertheist
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by scientstphilosophertheist
    I posted this in the Health/Medicine forum, but since nobody really posts there, I'll post it here also:

    A woman reports that she is feeling ill and leaves work early. She then goes home and finds that her children are talking to an 18 year old who has been missing. The 18 year old runs off. She shouts 'wait! wait!' on top of her voice, and faints. Why would you say she fainted? If it's because of her illness, what illness would you diagnose her as having? More than one answers are welcome; answers would be well appreciated. 8)

    I'm writing a book and this information would really help...thanks.

    Edit: Oh, and what would you do to revive her?
    That's far, far too little information to even venture a rough guess. It could be anything from severe dehydration to anemia to a brain tumor - and practically anything else in between. Even some form of poisoning. You'll have to tell MUCH more than that.
    I don't want to say dehydration, because she reported the illness from before. Anemia...sounds like a good idea. What about diabetes? I'm not at the stage in the book wherein more symptoms become apparent, so those are the only symptoms I'm working with now...I just want some candidates for what you'd diagnose if someone had these symptoms.

    In other words, I want extremely rough guesses, not an actual diagnosis.

    Thanks!
    OK, in that case I'll make it simple. She's bleeding internally from a large peptic ulcer - and the eventual loss of blood caused her to faint.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    71
    18 year old = Sniper

    he dives in a bush opens fire on the woman, she faints

    but she took a bullet to the hip, oh no she's bleeding

    arghhh he fire off a few more rounds

    pop pop pop

    everyones going wildddd ARRHGGHHHHH
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,795
    Cardiac arrhythmia. It is obviously related to the excitement of trying to stop the runaway.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiac...gin_of_impulse
    If a tachycardia lowers blood pressure it may cause lightheadedness or dizziness, or even fainting (syncope).
    Anything that increases adrenaline or its effects on the heart will increase the heart rate and potentially cause palpitations or tachycardias.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    a reality you have all yet to properly explain
    Posts
    902
    look up symptoms and signs for fainting, in any medical text...........any could apply..........a missing person doing the bolt, well, "did she know that person was a missing person, or only the children"........does she have a history of mental disease, anxiety attacks.

    The great thing about medicine is that you have this entire array of questions you are "allowed" to ask, not to mention knowing your own proximity to the situation such as the temperature of the day (heat stroke), whether or not the person lives in the tropics (tropical infectious disease), and so on.

    It would help if you studied medicine to confront a situation like that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8 Re: Help me diagnose 
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by scientstphilosophertheist
    I posted this in the Health/Medicine forum, but since nobody really posts there, I'll post it here also:

    A woman reports that she is feeling ill and leaves work early. She then goes home and finds that her children are talking to an 18 year old who has been missing. The 18 year old runs off. She shouts 'wait! wait!' on top of her voice, and faints. Why would you say she fainted? If it's because of her illness, what illness would you diagnose her as having? More than one answers are welcome; answers would be well appreciated. 8)

    I'm writing a book and this information would really help...thanks.

    Edit: Oh, and what would you do to revive her?
    Low blood pressure?
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by crichton01
    18 year old = Sniper

    he dives in a bush opens fire on the woman, she faints

    but she took a bullet to the hip, oh no she's bleeding

    arghhh he fire off a few more rounds

    pop pop pop

    everyones going wildddd ARRHGGHHHHH
    crap sniper !! - hardly even a marksman, come to think of it, hardly even a rifleman !
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    71
    Actually the man is named The renegade, he left the military with a £1,000,000 bounty on his head for starting his own freedom fighters platoon. After weeks of fatigue the renegade stepped out from living in the forest to try an recruit these young 'soldiers to be' but when the woman realised she fainted with happiness that her own son's would be part of the renegade's regieme.

    But the Renegade was fatigued from malnourishment from surviving from fungus and licking slugs he was confused and thought that the womans green dress was actually military personel tracking his where abouts, so he took a few shots aimlessly with his shakey hands....

    Now the man's whereabouts are unknown but be sure the fight for freedom continues for he is The Renegade.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    a reality you have all yet to properly explain
    Posts
    902
    she was obviously therefore suffering a psychological disorder (in this day and age)...OR, they hired the wrong extra for that newly anticipated feature film.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •