Notices
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: eyelash...

  1. #1 eyelash... 
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Stupid question. Do eyelashes contain DNA?


    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "Jamerica"...When in America, Florida; when in Jamaica, St. Mary
    Posts
    959
    Not sure...
    Eyelash is protein.
    DNA synthesizes protein.
    I don't think there is DNA in protein. Not sure, tho...


    Whence comes this logic: no evidence = false?

    http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php

    Theists welcome.
    ___________
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Cooking Something Good MacGyver1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    2,051
    According to what I learned on CSI..... The hair itself doesn't contain dna...but if part of the root is attached to the bottom, it does contain dna.

    Why? did you leave some eyelashes behind at a crime scene...and your worried they'll find your dna on that dead hookers body?
    Fixin' shit that ain't broke.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968
    According to what I learned on CSI..... The hair itself doesn't contain dna...but if part of the root is attached to the bottom, it does contain dna.

    Why? did you leave some eyelashes behind at a crime scene...and your worried they'll find your dna on that dead hookers body?
    How did you know!?

    I watched the movie GATTACA (anyone seen it?) in school, and they identify someone by an eyelash they find, and I knew that eyelashes were protein, so I wasn't sure if that was an error with the movie or not. So I guess by what you said, there was a chance that it could have had DNA with it.
    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "Jamerica"...When in America, Florida; when in Jamaica, St. Mary
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemboy
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver1968
    According to what I learned on CSI..... The hair itself doesn't contain dna...but if part of the root is attached to the bottom, it does contain dna.

    Why? did you leave some eyelashes behind at a crime scene...and your worried they'll find your dna on that dead hookers body?
    How did you know!?

    I watched the movie GATTACA (anyone seen it?) in school, and they identify someone by an eyelash they find, and I knew that eyelashes were protein, so I wasn't sure if that was an error with the movie or not. So I guess by what you said, there was a chance that it could have had DNA with it.
    Oh...I watched that back in 10th grade--AP Bio?
    I loved that movie!
    Whence comes this logic: no evidence = false?

    http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php

    Theists welcome.
    ___________
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Moderator Moderator AlexP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,838
    Quote Originally Posted by scientstphilosophertheist
    Oh...I watched that back in 10th grade--AP Bio?
    I loved that movie!
    Yeah, I watched it in Bio in 9th and then again in AP Bio this year. It is pretty good.
    "There is a kind of lazy pleasure in useless and out-of-the-way erudition." -Jorge Luis Borges
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    37
    I was wondering the same thing, but with hair. Are there nuclei in hair? Or is it, as you say, the root, and the rest alpha-keratin? Because I heard that with mitochondrial DNA-screening, it was possible to identify someone from a hairsample without the root.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "Jamerica"...When in America, Florida; when in Jamaica, St. Mary
    Posts
    959
    I really don't see how it's possible that there is DNA in protein. I mean, I heard that they can identify you using your hair, but how is it that DNA is contained in hair?
    Whence comes this logic: no evidence = false?

    http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php

    Theists welcome.
    ___________
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Posts
    120
    The DNA is only in the cuticle or root of the hair.

    So the hair has to usually be pulled out to guarantee there is enough cell matter there, but it will sometimes be there in small amounts anyway.
    It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong. --- Isaac Asimov
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    "Jamerica"...When in America, Florida; when in Jamaica, St. Mary
    Posts
    959
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmafactor
    The DNA is only in the cuticle or root of the hair.

    So the hair has to usually be pulled out to guarantee there is enough cell matter there, but it will sometimes be there in small amounts anyway.
    Oh...I see.
    Whence comes this logic: no evidence = false?

    http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php

    Theists welcome.
    ___________
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    65
    I listened to a talk about this on the radio last week. It is correct that there is only dna in the root (follical?) and no dna in the hair itself.

    They can however analise the hair itself and categorise it according to certain phenotypic criteria (I dont know exactly which) to come to a quite specific "hair type". This hair type can be specific enough to match it to an individual to a certainty of something like 100 to 1. This is still quite poor when compared to the certainty of millions or even billions to 1 when using DNA.

    So Chemboy, I guess youre chances of getting away with the murder of that hooker depends on how popular she was. If she was very popular and had lots of other "clients" before you ended her career, you might argue that there were dozens of other people the hair could have originated from even if the hair type matches yours and they would never be able to convict you with such a lot of reasonable doubt left!! If she was a desperate $5 hooker with almost no customers you might have bigger problems though!! So which was it?

    Mac, the way you immediately linked a question about DNA in hair to a murdered hooker sounds like you've got some personal experience! Any confessions you'd like to make?
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •