Notices
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Dna

  1. #1 Dna 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6
    Hi,
    is this possible that we can edit our DNA sample and make it changes,
    like a rat's DNA if we edit and find the working Process of DNA and i think that in a sample of our DNA each part of DNA working its on way.
    Please tell me if this is possible???????????????????? Thanks.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,789
    There has been much advancements in engineering DNA since the genome project has mapped out everything. They have found many chromosomes that do certain things to humans but as yet cannot remove them or replace them.


    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    281
    A new technique is the use of artificial human chromosomes, so that genes inserted do not integrate into the wrong place.
    I can never know I'm right, but I can know that I'm wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6
    this means the scientist dose not have any way to edit the DNA .........................?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6
    Is there any way to edit the DNA Samples
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,169
    It is not quite editing existing DNA, but there is gene therapy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    985
    If you take a sample of your DNA and alter it so that it has the genes for dark eyes rather than blue and inserted that dna in a egg cell then you could raise a dark eyed child. (Or you could have sex with a dark eyed parnter.) What you would not do is change any feature of your existing body by changeing a sample of your DNA.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Sophomore M_Gabriela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealeaf View Post
    If you take a sample of your DNA and alter it so that it has the genes for dark eyes rather than blue and inserted that dna in a egg cell then you could raise a dark eyed child. (Or you could have sex with a dark eyed parnter.) What you would not do is change any feature of your existing body by changeing a sample of your DNA.
    Well... only if the DNA would be inserted in an area that is positively regulated... That is actually one of the problems when trying to produce a transgenic individual... It is still not possible to direct the insertion in an area of interest.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,789
    Quote Originally Posted by M_Gabriela View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealeaf View Post
    If you take a sample of your DNA and alter it so that it has the genes for dark eyes rather than blue and inserted that dna in a egg cell then you could raise a dark eyed child. (Or you could have sex with a dark eyed parnter.) What you would not do is change any feature of your existing body by changeing a sample of your DNA.
    Well... only if the DNA would be inserted in an area that is positively regulated... That is actually one of the problems when trying to produce a transgenic individual... It is still not possible to direct the insertion in an area of interest.

    Why would you want to do that? We have plenty of diseases that we need to eliminate which would be of great benefit but your suggestion is, to me, preposterous. Tying to introduce genetic material into a human from another animal is very wrong.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Sophomore M_Gabriela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by M_Gabriela View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealeaf View Post
    If you take a sample of your DNA and alter it so that it has the genes for dark eyes rather than blue and inserted that dna in a egg cell then you could raise a dark eyed child. (Or you could have sex with a dark eyed parnter.) What you would not do is change any feature of your existing body by changeing a sample of your DNA.
    Well... only if the DNA would be inserted in an area that is positively regulated... That is actually one of the problems when trying to produce a transgenic individual... It is still not possible to direct the insertion in an area of interest.

    Why would you want to do that? We have plenty of diseases that we need to eliminate which would be of great benefit but your suggestion is, to me, preposterous. Tying to introduce genetic material into a human from another animal is very wrong.

    Was that for me or for Sealeaf?

    If it is for me,,, Iīm not talking about humans particularly... transgenic animals, such as sheep or cows are made this way. You introduce a transgene in the egg and then implant the egg into a receptor mother. And then you wait and see if the offspring has the gene and expresses it... Itīs very difficult... There is one group here at the research institute where I work that work in animal biotechnology..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,789
    If it is for me,,, Iīm not talking about humans particularly... transgenic animals, such as sheep or cows are made this way. You introduce a transgene in the egg and then implant the egg into a receptor mother. And then you wait and see if the offspring has the gene and expresses it... Itīs very difficult... There is one group here at the research institute where I work that work in animal biotechnology..
    Yes you. It would make more sense to find the genes that have problems in them in humans before going into that type of research to me. People are dying by the millions every day due to diseases passed along from generation to generation. Seeing if genes can be transgenically done seems like a total waste of time and money.
    Last edited by cosmictraveler; October 2nd, 2014 at 07:26 AM.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Sophomore M_Gabriela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    164
    there are lots of groups that work in gene therapy. I think itīs a very interesting approach. Cure the disease from the root...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,789
    How can putting a gene from a cow into a gene from a pig be helpful because we need to find ways to do that with human genes . Transferring genes from animal to another animal isn't going to work for those genes won't match up very well and could cause many unforeseen mutated animals.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Sophomore M_Gabriela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Posts
    164
    I didnīt say that!!!! You put human genes in human cells...No wonder...
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. What's the pH of DNA?
    By Daecon in forum Biology
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: October 2nd, 2014, 05:38 AM
  2. "Junk" DNA or Useful DNA?!?
    By forensicIRL2011 in forum Biology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 5th, 2011, 12:40 PM
  3. DNA
    By thyristor in forum Biology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 8th, 2008, 03:31 PM
  4. Dna polimerase types of DNA replication
    By SkyDreamer in forum Biology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
  5. DNA
    By zeus in forum Biology
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: April 12th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •