Notices
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Question about Genetic Engineering(Genetics) Career.

  1. #1 Question about Genetic Engineering(Genetics) Career. 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6
    I'd like a career under something that falls under Genetic Engineering>Genetics
    I'm really interested in DNA modification. But I'm kind of confused on what to take in college. I was looking into Genetics>Geneticist and it seemed like it was more medical. I think what I'm looking for falls under more Biotechnology maybe? I'm really confused.If someone could guide me that would be great


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Masters Degree mat5592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    601
    It sounds like something you would need to go to graduate school to do, so you might be okay to just do your undergraduate studies in something relevant (biology, biochemistry, etc) and then figure out the rest from there.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by icykid298 View Post
    I'd like a career under something that falls under Genetic Engineering>Genetics
    I'm really interested in DNA modification. But I'm kind of confused on what to take in college. I was looking into Genetics>Geneticist and it seemed like it was more medical. I think what I'm looking for falls under more Biotechnology maybe? I'm really confused.If someone could guide me that would be great
    The thing is, I understand your confusing at this point. I was also once in your place...

    Bachelor Degrees don't technically mean that you will be doing exactly what you have majored in. Specially in science and engineering, you could potentially major in many different things but get to the same goal in Graduate school.

    That being said, you could do Genetics as a BS or some other type of science and get into Genetic Engineering in grad school and follow that research/project throughout the rest of your career.

    ***My spelling and grammar sucks, I'm typing on my phone.. thus I can careless and I got a paper tomorrow so I really can careless lol.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Making antisense Jon Moulton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    51
    It sounds like you might be looking for molecular biology. There are many biochem & molecular biology degree programs.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Ph.D.
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    984
    Do pay attention to your choice though, not every BS can be a gateway to your desired field. I discovered, after completing my BA in English literature, that I was facinated by Urban Planning. I even took a grad level course in central place theory. Loved it. But entry requirements for all Urban planning degree programs were a Bachelor's in architecture. I could afford neither the time nor the money to get a second bachelor's.
    Turns out that a BA in English literature is an excellent background for what I did with my life. I am a nursing supervisor for a psychiatric hospital.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    286
    Biotechnology can be a pretty apt major. Your best bet might be to find someone working in the field and get an idea of how they got to where they are. I'm doing a biotechnology unit and it's focused on the techniques involved, including genetically modified organisms, and it also involves meeting up with people who work in the industry.
    I can never know I'm right, but I can know that I'm wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
    Biotechnology can be a pretty apt major. Your best bet might be to find someone working in the field and get an idea of how they got to where they are. I'm doing a biotechnology unit and it's focused on the techniques involved, including genetically modified organisms, and it also involves meeting up with people who work in the industry.
    Thats what I'm confused at,I thought Biotechnology(AAS degree) would be the perfect thing because I want something that involves genetically modifying the DNA or involves "Genetically modified organisms" I'd like to work for a Company in the future and see if I could transfer the job over to some other country in the future.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealeaf View Post
    Do pay attention to your choice though, not every BS can be a gateway to your desired field. I discovered, after completing my BA in English literature, that I was facinated by Urban Planning. I even took a grad level course in central place theory. Loved it. But entry requirements for all Urban planning degree programs were a Bachelor's in architecture. I could afford neither the time nor the money to get a second bachelor's.
    Turns out that a BA in English literature is an excellent background for what I did with my life. I am a nursing supervisor for a psychiatric hospital.
    Thanks Sealeaf, I'm trying to make sure I'm getting into the right things.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    286
    I just went through the descriptions of the majors offered at my university and career prospects. There's a lot of majors that apparently lead to a career in biotech. Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Genetics, Microbiology and Immunology, Cell & Developmental biology, Immunology. A biotechnology major doesn't mention working in the biotech field :P which is hilarious.

    I went on a field trip with my class to a facility that actually went through what majors tend to do what jobs at the place. While they all can work in biotech, they work at different stages in the process. I really wish I could remember exactly which roles the majors fulfil but I can't

    Though I do recall, that if you want to be working on actually culturing and developing the cell line of GMOs then cell and developmental biology might be more appropriate. If however you want to work at other stages (depending on the application of the GMOs), you might be best off sending a nice friendly email to a research institute that does the sort of things you're interested in and seeing if there's a trend with people's majors and their roles there.
    I can never know I'm right, but I can know that I'm wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
    I just went through the descriptions of the majors offered at my university and career prospects. There's a lot of majors that apparently lead to a career in biotech. Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Genetics, Microbiology and Immunology, Cell & Developmental biology, Immunology. A biotechnology major doesn't mention working in the biotech field :P which is hilarious.

    I went on a field trip with my class to a facility that actually went through what majors tend to do what jobs at the place. While they all can work in biotech, they work at different stages in the process. I really wish I could remember exactly which roles the majors fulfil but I can't

    Though I do recall, that if you want to be working on actually culturing and developing the cell line of GMOs then cell and developmental biology might be more appropriate. If however you want to work at other stages (depending on the application of the GMOs), you might be best off sending a nice friendly email to a research institute that does the sort of things you're interested in and seeing if there's a trend with people's majors and their roles there.
    I don't think thats it thanks anyways this is really confusing because is such a broad area
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    286
    It is a broad area. You need to be more specific with what you want to do.
    I can never know I'm right, but I can know that I'm wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
    It is a broad area. You need to be more specific with what you want to do.
    I'm not sure how to do be more specific I'd like to deal with GMO'S and I'm interested in DNA Manipulation/Modification,and I'd like to work for a facility or company that hires people like this. I thought a undergraduate degree in BioTechnology(Associate of Applied Sciences) would work I'm still looking into it but I find nothing that specifically does this or deals with it.
    All my CC offers which I think would be close to it is AS of Biology or AS of Science or AAS BioTech than I would have to transfer to a Uni
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    286
    Well there you go, you want to specifically deal with the manipulation of the DNA, not anything else. As far as I know, a genetics major would be appropriate. But like I said, find a biotech company and actually email them with your question about what qualifications are required for that role.
    I can never know I'm right, but I can know that I'm wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiosity View Post
    Well there you go, you want to specifically deal with the manipulation of the DNA, not anything else. As far as I know, a genetics major would be appropriate. But like I said, find a biotech company and actually email them with your question about what qualifications are required for that role.
    Thanks I'll e-mail,and I found what I'm looking for but now I need to see if any of these Biotech companies would allow you to transfer your job out of state....I have a long-term goal to move to Japan.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Junior
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    286
    Find one that is multinational with a facility in Japan, problem solved.
    I can never know I'm right, but I can know that I'm wrong.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for Career Information on Chemical Engineering
    By TayRobChap in forum Mechanical, Structural and Chemical Engineering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 4th, 2012, 10:44 PM
  2. Genetic Technology to change your Genetics?
    By SmoothAction in forum Biology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 16th, 2009, 01:15 PM
  3. The genetics of fear: Study suggests specific genetic vari.
    By sondivp456 in forum Health & Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 15th, 2009, 08:42 PM
  4. Genetic engineering.
    By chloe-jessica in forum Biology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 29th, 2008, 12:31 AM
  5. Engineering Career?
    By jschroet in forum Mechanical, Structural and Chemical Engineering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: December 21st, 2006, 06:00 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •