Notices
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Co2

  1. #1 Co2 
    Forum Senior anand_kapadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    300
    While we drink or eat some hot thing. We usually puff or breathe out air to cool the substance. My friend says in doing so we exhibit Co2 gas in the matter which spoils our food. Is it really so?
    Thanks


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Freshman Lee W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greater Manchester, England.
    Posts
    13
    When we blow on food you have to remember it is not just Co2, it has small amounts of oxygen, nitrogen and other gases. Also it is not exactly highly concentrated on our food. So I think that it does not spoil our food at all. Oh and does your friend ever drink coke with food? Because if so doesn’t that have a lot more carbon dioxide in it than our breathe?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee W
    When we blow on food you have to remember it is not just Co2, it has small amounts of oxygen, nitrogen and other gases. Also it is not exactly highly concentrated on our food. So I think that it does not spoil our food at all. Oh and does your friend ever drink coke with food? Because if so doesn’t that have a lot more carbon dioxide in it than our breathe?
    I truly accept your view indeed..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman coolaak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    28
    define spoiled... i mean if by spoiled u mean saturated with CO2 then possibly but i mean i'm eating tomato soup right now and blowing on it to cool it down, and the taste has not changed nor is there any visible spoiled spots in it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Guest
    More likely CO2 preserves it, after all oxygen seems to be the element that provides the mechanism for things to go 'rotten'.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman coolaak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    28
    plus i dont really think you can just blow on something and automatically add CO2 to it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Professor
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,595
    if the food came from a plant, that plant produced the food while processing CO2. maybe your adding quality...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Guest
    Ah! so that's where all the gas comes from eh?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Posts
    120
    Also ... the CO2 can combine with water to make carbonic acid .... which would have a pH to kill bacteria : /

    Your friend had some bad information
    It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong. --- Isaac Asimov
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Guest
    Looks like a clean cut case of "Myth busted!"

    ... Next!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Senior
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    309
    also, if we blow repeatetly (wow this is sounding weirder by the minute: all you high schoolers probobly know what im talking about ) then your body gets less and less of a chance use up the oxygen and replace it with CO2 since you are only holding the air in your lungs for a second.
    I don't suffer from insanity, i enjoy every minute of it

    the road to succes is never paved or clearly marked
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Guest
    you can be 70 and still understand that one!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Senior anand_kapadia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    300
    Thanks now I have enough stuff to explain my friend about it.
    I was thinking of the same as your answers were but was ascertain about it.
    Thanks.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Senior miomaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    302
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmafactor
    Also ... the CO2 can combine with water to make carbonic acid .... which would have a pH to kill bacteria : /

    Your friend had some bad information
    is this why some people drink coke or carbonitedwater while having a stomach ache?
    How good is coke for you, while you have a stomach ache (if it is a virus or bacteria)
    I haven't come to fight my word, but to find the truth.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by miomaz
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmafactor
    Also ... the CO2 can combine with water to make carbonic acid .... which would have a pH to kill bacteria : /

    Your friend had some bad information
    is this why some people drink coke or carbonitedwater while having a stomach ache?
    How good is coke for you, while you have a stomach ache (if it is a virus or bacteria)
    lol? i think bacteria which can survive in stomach acid, would be able to handle a bit of coke... :P
    grtz.
    -FaTaL_eRRoR
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •