Notices
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Proteins and ATP

  1. #1 Proteins and ATP 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    26
    How much ATP is produced from proteins in comparison to Carbohydrates and Fats?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    65
    The link between ATP and raw food is not direct.
    Consideration of intermediates will guide you.
    How's that?
    Hit the books!


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by G O R T View Post
    The link between ATP and raw food is not direct.
    Consideration of intermediates will guide you.
    How's that?
    Hit the books!
    After the intermediates
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Professor Zwolver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,667
    More energy can come out of the same mass of fat, then the same mass of sugars. This is because a sugar is already partly oxidized. However, fat requires more oxygen to create energy, plus creating fat in the body uses energy also.
    Growing up, i marveled at star-trek's science, and ignored the perfect society. Now, i try to ignore their science, and marvel at the society.

    Imagine, being able to create matter out of thin air, and not coming up with using drones for boarding hostile ships. Or using drones to defend your own ship. Heck, using drones to block energy attacks, counterattack or for surveillance. Unless, of course, they are nano-machines in your blood, which is a billion times more complex..
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwolver View Post
    More energy can come out of the same mass of fat, then the same mass of sugars. This is because a sugar is already partly oxidized. However, fat requires more oxygen to create energy, plus creating fat in the body uses energy also.

    Thank you. What about proteins?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Junior AndresKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by walker8476 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zwolver View Post
    More energy can come out of the same mass of fat, then the same mass of sugars. This is because a sugar is already partly oxidized. However, fat requires more oxygen to create energy, plus creating fat in the body uses energy also.

    Thank you. What about proteins?
    Proteins are broken down into amino acid monomers by enzymes such as hydrolases, which are used for polypeptide synthesis as you already know. The cell doesn't rely on the amino acid base structure for cellular metabolism. Even in protein degradation in Lysosome, (if a protein is damaged or denatured), it will be degraded to amino acids for protein synthesis again.

    Though, the R chain, variable group, that could be used for cellular metabolism. That's were most of the energy from proteins you eat comes, it will not come from the actual amino acid bases, rather it will come from the side chain group R. Which can be anything as big as a Benzene molecule to a simple Hydrogen atom. Thus, what that R group is not only defines the protein, but also defines how much ATP would be produced if consumed.

    That and protein oligoglycerides or other co-protein components (usually sugars) attached that specific protein.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by AndresKiani;574541
    [B
    That's were most of the energy from proteins you eat comes, it will not come from the actual amino acid bases, rather it will come from the side chain group R. [/B]

    Thank you, I didn't know that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Professor Zwolver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,667
    Quote Originally Posted by walker8476 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndresKiani;574541
    [B
    That's were most of the energy from proteins you eat comes, it will not come from the actual aminoacid bases, rather it will come from the side chain group R. [/B]

    Thank you, I didn't know that.
    Thats because it doesn't make sense to me.

    In the citric acid cycle, some aminoacids are already formed. Alanine and Glutamine occur in the citric acid cycle. This has nothing to do with the R group classification. It has to do with structure and connections. Breaking an C-C connection will provide more energy then breaking a C-N connection. Same with the oxygenation side, a O=O to a O=C=O will provide more energy then, 2 times H-O-H. But it will also cost more energy to form.

    Baseline is. Your body will not burn aminoacids. Rather it will cycle them until the body has enough of the preferred type. The consuming of these aminoacids is secondary, and so is the energy production.
    Growing up, i marveled at star-trek's science, and ignored the perfect society. Now, i try to ignore their science, and marvel at the society.

    Imagine, being able to create matter out of thin air, and not coming up with using drones for boarding hostile ships. Or using drones to defend your own ship. Heck, using drones to block energy attacks, counterattack or for surveillance. Unless, of course, they are nano-machines in your blood, which is a billion times more complex..
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. anyone know about atp adenosine triphosphate?
    By kellbrook in forum Biology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 13th, 2012, 02:12 PM
  2. Radioactively Labeled ATP
    By TangoAtNight in forum Biology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 27th, 2009, 06:11 PM
  3. ATP Synthase
    By Leukocyte in forum Biology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 16th, 2008, 12:30 AM
  4. ATP
    By The P-manator in forum Biology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: February 11th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •