Notices
Results 1 to 30 of 30

Thread: Can cellphones make you less intelligent?

  1. #1 Can cellphones make you less intelligent? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    27
    Can cellphones make you less inteligent or they just cause brain tumors and such?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    159
    Well i can't say perfectly but i do own a cellphone and if i keep it in my left pocket it gives a diff kind of feeling in the heart.

    So, i believe that it does have adverse effects on human body.


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    nope, why the hell would they do that?
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    934
    I have never heard of mobile phones making people less intelligent and there is no proof that they cause brain tumours, but of course only time will tell.
    Eat Dolphin, save the Tuna!!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Guest
    It depends on how much EM radiation they produce. If your ear is right on the damn phone a lot, your brain should be slowly effected even if it's a very low amount. If not your hearing.

    Of course then you have to take into account the sound waves, which may in part be responsible (since it's more "unnatural" than speaking face to face), which could have adverse effects.

    However, I see no reason as to why it would make people less intelligent O.o...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    27
    dont brain cells die because of the radiation?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1981(England)
    I have never herd of mobile phones making people less intelligent and there is no proof that they cause brain tumours, but of course only time will tell.
    dont brain cells die because of the radiation?
    It depends on how much EM radiation they produce. If your ear is right on the damn phone a lot, your brain should be slowly effected even if it's a very low amount. If not your hearing.
    mobile phones work on radiowaves wich energy is to small to do any effect to biological matter in anyway.
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    mobile phones work on radiowaves wich energy is to small to do any effect to biological matter in anyway.
    I thought they used microwaves
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    mobile phones work on radiowaves wich energy is to small to do any effect to biological matter in anyway.
    My point is, a very long exposer to it could probably cause some damage regardless.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyhfht
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    mobile phones work on radiowaves wich energy is to small to do any effect to biological matter in anyway.
    My point is, a very long exposer to it could probably cause some damage regardless.
    nope
    you can hit a atom as many times as you want with a photon but aslongest its energy is to small it wont do any effect

    I thought they used microwaves
    nopet thas a microwave wher eyou cock stuff xD
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    881
    "Mobile phones and the network they operate under vary significantly from provider to provider, and nation to nation. However, all of them communicate through electromagnetic microwaves with a cell site base station, the antennas of which are usually mounted on a tower, pole, or building."

    That's why they say mobiles are dangerous, because they produce microwaves and as Zelos said "cook stuff" like your brain
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    nope
    you can hit a atom as many times as you want with a photon but aslongest its energy is to small it wont do any effect
    Except, it will. It'll have an effect, but the question is if you notice it or not. :P
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Ph.D. Cat1981(England)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Downs.
    Posts
    934
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    nopet thas a microwave wher eyou cock stuff xD
    What ?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyhfht
    My point is, a very long exposer to it could probably cause some damage regardless.
    As i said, only in time will we know for certain.
    Eat Dolphin, save the Tuna!!!!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    "Mobile phones and the network they operate under vary significantly from provider to provider, and nation to nation. However, all of them communicate through electromagnetic microwaves with a cell site base station, the antennas of which are usually mounted on a tower, pole, or building."

    That's why they say mobiles are dangerous, because they produce microwaves and as Zelos said "cook stuff" like your brain
    a mobile works on radiowaves not micro, maybe a increadibly tiny amount of micro is produced but its still not enough to cause any damage, you need UV to cause damage

    Except, it will. It'll have an effect, but the question is if you notice it or not
    how is this effect made to happen when the energy is insuffient?
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    a mobile works on radiowaves not micro, maybe a increadibly tiny amount of micro is produced but its still not enough to cause any damage, you need UV to cause damage
    you're on about the transmitters "Cell sites have relatively low-power (often only one or two watts) radio transmitters which broadcast their presence and relay communications between the mobile handsets and the switch. The switch in turn connects the call to another subscriber of the same wireless service provider or to the public telephone network, which includes the networks of other wireless carriers. Many of these sites are camouflaged to blend with existing environments, particularly in high-scenery areas."

    i'm on about the mobiles themselves which cause microwaves
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    how is this effect made to happen when the energy is insuffient?
    I wasn't mentioning a visible effect. Just saying that there would be some minor effect, even if unnoticeable (on an atomic scale). :P that's all.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  18. #17 Mobile phones 
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,417
    A mobile phone recieves and omits microwave radiation. However it is important to realise that whenever we speak about "microwaves" we are not talking about just one particular frequency, we are talking about a specific range of frequencies. Also the power of the microwave radiation should be taken into account.

    I will give you an example. Take a 15 watt lightbulb; what it is omitting is radiation in the visible spectrum. You can stare at it because the power is relatively low. Now take a 200 watt light bulb. It omits exactly the same frequencies as the 15 watt light bulb but the power is stronger. Stare at it and you will hurt your eyes.

    Yes a mobile phone omits microwaves but the power of these microwaves are not any where near as powerful as that of a microwave oven, so damage if any is kept to a minimum.
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  19. #18  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    881
    thank you Leo, perhaps now Zelos will come out of his shell
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  20. #19  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremyhfht
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    how is this effect made to happen when the energy is insuffient?
    I wasn't mentioning a visible effect. Just saying that there would be some minor effect, even if unnoticeable (on an atomic scale). :P that's all.
    if its unnoticible on atomic scale then nothing have happened

    A mobile phone recieves and omits microwave radiation. However it is important to realise that whenever we speak about "microwaves" we are not talking about just one particular frequency, we are talking about a specific range of frequencies. Also the power of the microwave radiation should be taken into account.
    when i speak of microwaves i speack of the microwave part of the EM spectra

    I will give you an example. Take a 15 watt lightbulb; what it is omitting is radiation in the visible spectrum. You can stare at it because the power is relatively low. Now take a 200 watt light bulb. It omits exactly the same frequencies as the 15 watt light bulb but the power is stronger. Stare at it and you will hurt your eyes.
    true for us, not true for our molecules

    Yes a mobile phone omits microwaves but the power of these microwaves are not any where near as powerful as that of a microwave oven, so damage if any is kept to a minimum.
    microwave is still not enough to cause any damage, it get a tiny bit hotter but it doesnt do any damage to any molecule in the brain
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  21. #20  
    Guest
    Zelos,

    1) Mobile phones use frequencies in two bands - 900Mhz and 3GHz - the latter is a shade above the frequency used to cook food.

    2) The words 'RADIATION HAZARD' appear on almost all medium/high powered radio transmitter 'aerial farms' - with good reason?

    3) If photons do not harm/modify our molecules could you please explain how laser eye surgery works?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  22. #21  
    Forum Isotope Zelos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Zelos,

    1) Mobile phones use frequencies in two bands - 900Mhz and 3GHz - the latter is a shade above the frequency used to cook food.

    2) The words 'RADIATION HAZARD' appear on almost all medium/high powered radio transmitter 'aerial farms' - with good reason?

    3) If photons do not harm/modify our molecules could you please explain how laser eye surgery works?
    1: okey, seems like i were misstagen then, sorry.

    2: cause people are afraid of things they dont understand

    3: it doesnt effect the molecules, it effects the lens by cutting in it or change the cells by maybe killing them or something.

    You gotta get to UV light before ionization comes into the picture. certain molecules are adepted to sense less energitic light, as we can see, but the ear and brain dont contain such molecules
    I am zelos. Destroyer of planets, exterminator of life, conquerer of worlds. I have come to rule this uiniverse. And there is nothing u pathetic biengs can do to stop me

    On the eighth day Zelos said: 'Let there be darkness,' and the light was never again seen.

    The king of posting
    Reply With Quote  
     

  23. #22  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelos
    Quote Originally Posted by Megabrain
    Zelos,

    1) Mobile phones use frequencies in two bands - 900Mhz and 3GHz - the latter is a shade above the frequency used to cook food.

    2) The words 'RADIATION HAZARD' appear on almost all medium/high powered radio transmitter 'aerial farms' - with good reason?

    3) If photons do not harm/modify our molecules could you please explain how laser eye surgery works?
    1: okey, seems like i were misstagen then, sorry.

    2: cause people are afraid of things they dont understand

    3: it doesnt effect the molecules, it effects the lens by cutting in it or change the cells by maybe killing them or something.

    You gotta get to UV light before ionization comes into the picture. certain molecules are adepted to sense less energitic light, as we can see, but the ear and brain dont contain such molecules

    2) - er sorry these are messages for engineers - not passing cyclists, the warnings also appear in the technical manuals. And having worked on the little beasties I can assure you, you can cook pies in the PA coils which run stone cold even as low as 30 Mhz. - since these pies did not contain large pieces if iron you can rule out 'eddy current heating'.

    3) It certainly does have an effect on the molecules, they are all connected together to form the eye! - they share electrons with other molecules binding them together, knocking these electrons out by altering their energy level and thus seperating them from their neighbour and destroying tissue..

    At the end of the day the debate on mobile phones and possible harmful effects is still argued, the powerful phone lobby has deep pockets full of cash. - Whether there is any serious or potential long term effects is not established either way, I 'm not sure closing one's mind to the possibility is the best solution - one thing is for sure you cannot prove it is NOT harmful, studies could only say it may be harmful or is harmful. All you can say with certainty is so far none of the many independant surveys have shown any trend towards any form of damage - which should satisfy people for the time being.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  24. #23  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    27
    then,hypothetically speaking if cellphones were indeed harmfull would they make you less intelligent?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  25. #24  
    Forum Ph.D. Nevyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    881
    long term exposure to mobiles might cause damage in the brain due to microwaves exciting the water particals, but it would have to be pretty intense to heat up the molecules to the point where they can cause damage
    Come see some of my art work at http://nevyn-pendragon.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote  
     

  26. #25  
    Guest
    Judging by the quality of communication (text messages) - I'd say any damage has already been done- second if there is any affect on the human body then it's most probable it would be harmful - after all, everything else we do kills something, even if it's only cleaning the toilet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevyn
    long term exposure to mobiles might cause damage in the brain due to microwaves exciting the water particals, but it would have to be pretty intense to heat up the molecules to the point where they can cause damage
    Er ... no
    The output power of a mobile would, like EM radiation, be absorbed by the skin - the amount of absorption would be around 5mW/cm^2
    sunlight at the equator provides around 100mW/cm^2 this tiny amount of heat would be convected away faster by air passing over the skin, penetration depth? - none if the heat is dissipated by air or blood.

    Let's go through the physics, a typical phone has a 600mah 4 volt battery
    thats 2.4 watts for 1 hour - now lets say a 1 hour call will exhaust the battery from fully charged to fully discharged = that's about the same amount of power as used by one christmas tree bulb (that's the little fairy lights) - Now since the energy of a visible light photon is greater than that of microwave energy, The sun is [ 20 * (Evb-Emr) ] times more liketly to harm you - and since I have forgotton the figures for Evb & Emr I cannot be specific. However I do know the formula E=HV that is Energy (joules) = Plancks constant * photon Frequency(Hz).

    The frequency of your mobile can be eaither 9*10^8 or 3*10^9 Hz
    Now all you need is the frequency of sunlight let's take the middle of it's spectrum say 580 nm - thats 5*10^14

    From this you can see that the energy of photons/unit square of visible light has around 200,000 times as much energy as the photons hitting your skin from the mobile. Now of course Sunlight causes cancer, but going into the shade reduces this [amount of light] by a factor of 5 -10 (and reduces risk of cancer to virtual zero) still some 20,000-40,000 times as strong as the mobile. - What do you think?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  27. #26  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    43
    The radiation from a handphone will confirm damage our body. It depends on how minor the damage is n is our body able to regenerate. In this case, brain cells stop growing after some stage so wut brain cells killed is gone.... forever..... but i've seen a guy wif only half side of his brain graguate wif a degree. Many other stuff kills our brain cells like caffein n stuff but u dun see mental retardation by these rite... We need to lose quite a huge part of our brain be4 we become retarded.... at least the most important part.... therefore it is quite safe saying handphones will not make u stupid......
    Reply With Quote  
     

  28. #27  
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_PAst27
    The radiation from a handphone will confirm damage our body.
    What you have [actually] written here is not what I think you are trying to say.

    If you are suggesting that mobile phones DO cause some damage then I urge you to provide a link or some other evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_PAst27
    It depends on how minor the damage is n is our body able to regenerate. In this case, brain cells stop growing after some stage so wut brain cells killed is gone.... forever..... but i've seen a guy wif only half side of his brain graguate wif a degree. Many other stuff kills our brain cells like caffein n stuff but u dun see mental retardation by these rite... We need to lose quite a huge part of our brain be4 we become retarded.... at least the most important part.... therefore it is quite safe saying handphones will not make u stupid......
    Is this post, within itself, an indication that the over-use of a mobile phone does indeed cause major damage to the brain?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  29. #28 No..... 
    Forum Professor leohopkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Dulwich, London, England
    Posts
    1,417
    No. I dont think using mobile phones makes you less intelligent. Reading some of your posts on this thread might though :wink:
    The hand of time rested on the half-hour mark, and all along that old front line of the English there came a whistling and a crying. The men of the first wave climbed up the parapets, in tumult, darkness, and the presence of death, and having done with all pleasant things, advanced across No Man's Land to begin the Battle of the Somme. - Poet John Masefield.

    www.leohopkins.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  30. #29 Re: No..... 
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leohopkins
    No. I dont think using mobile phones makes you less intelligent. Reading some of your posts on this thread might though :wink:
    I take it you have read all of them then.... :wink:
    Reply With Quote  
     

  31. #30 Stephen King "Cell" 
    Forum Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    130
    Yes, it is possible. Account is "Cell" where people go mad.
    I am.
    You can't deny it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •