Notices
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Can anyone tell me what this snake is?

  1. #1 Can anyone tell me what this snake is? 
    j.r
    j.r is offline
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    27
    I wonder if anyone might be able to identify this snake for me?Thank you


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3
    Where was the picture taken? That would narrow it down.

    If you are in the southern US I would say the 'black racer' or this one:
    (dang, can't post URL). Look for 'coluber constrictor priapus' -- or just black racer on Wikipedia

    If the picture was taken elsewhere then . . .


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    j.r
    j.r is offline
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyD1966 View Post
    Where was the picture taken? That would narrow it down.If you are in the southern US I would say the 'black racer' or this one: (dang, can't post URL). Look for 'coluber constrictor priapus' -- or just black racer on WikipediaIf the picture was taken elsewhere then . . .
    Thanks for your response!
    It was taken in Turkey.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by j.r View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyD1966 View Post
    Where was the picture taken? That would narrow it down.If you are in the southern US I would say the 'black racer' or this one: (dang, can't post URL). Look for 'coluber constrictor priapus' -- or just black racer on WikipediaIf the picture was taken elsewhere then . . .
    Thanks for your response!
    It was taken in Turkey.
    Ok, for Turkey, the only thing I can find that comes close is dolichophis jugularis. If you google that some images should pop up.

    Some are black, most seem to have some coloration beneath the head -- and I can't tell from your picture if it is that way.

    My guess is some sort of 'whipsnake' but I'm no herpetologist.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    j.r
    j.r is offline
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyD1966 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j.r View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyD1966 View Post
    Where was the picture taken? That would narrow it down.If you are in the southern US I would say the 'black racer' or this one: (dang, can't post URL). Look for 'coluber constrictor priapus' -- or just black racer on WikipediaIf the picture was taken elsewhere then . . .
    Thanks for your response!It was taken in Turkey.
    Ok, for Turkey, the only thing I can find that comes close is dolichophis jugularis. If you google that some images should pop up. Some are black, most seem to have some coloration beneath the head -- and I can't tell from your picture if it is that way.My guess is some sort of 'whipsnake' but I'm no herpetologist.
    Do you think it could be a caspian whipsnake, even though it appears to be black in color?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    3
    I'm guessing it isn't dolichophis caspius due to the coloration, but my best is that it is a dolichophis something. Which likely is a kind of whipsnake.

    Again, I don't have any real idea, that's just the closest thing I found that matches your picture while searching the 'net for species of snakes in Turkey.

    Hopefully someone on here actually is a herpetologist, or you could find a local one and show/email your picture.

    Good luck!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2
    It looks like a Natal Black Snake.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Chinese New Year, Feb 4, year of the snake
    By cosmictraveler in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 8th, 2013, 06:38 AM
  2. 4 Spatial Dimensions Snake
    By Pella86 in forum Physics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 22nd, 2011, 09:55 AM
  3. 4d Snake
    By Pella86 in forum Mathematics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 5th, 2011, 05:55 AM
  4. Is The Snake River Plain A Divergent Boundary?
    By Sergey S. in forum Earth Sciences
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 24th, 2011, 03:29 PM
  5. Logics snake
    By Aero in forum Computer Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 8th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •