Notices
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Paleoichneum
  • 1 Post By Lynx_Fox
  • 1 Post By Nisslbody
  • 1 Post By Neverfly

Thread: Dinosaurs

  1. #1 Dinosaurs 
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1
    Ok, I'm a bit of a novice in the biology area. To say I wasn't interested in school would be an understatement. I didn't, and still don't care about osmosis or aortas. But, what I am interested in is things that can be made in test tubes. Is it right that scientists could potentially take DNA from a fossil and recreate a dinosaur of some sorts? Also, with regards to natural evolution, could an animal evolve in to a dinosaur after a period of time?


    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Malignant Pimple shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dogbox in front of Dywyddyr's house.
    Posts
    1,786
    For the DNA question you can look into the work of Jack Horner.


    "MODERATOR NOTE : We don't entertain trolls here, not even in the trash can. Banned." -Markus Hanke
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Alunblackwell88 View Post
    Is it right that scientists could potentially take DNA from a fossil and recreate a dinosaur of some sorts?
    Jack Horner: Building a dinosaur from a chicken | Video on TED.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Alunblackwell88 View Post
    Also, with regards to natural evolution, could an animal evolve in to a dinosaur after a period of time?
    Convergent evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Universal Mind John Galt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    14,168
    So, Neverfly's links probably say we could construct a reasonable fascimile of a dinosaur through genetic manipulation and that something that looks somewhat like a dinosaur, but isn't might evolve in the future.. The consesus view is that no DNA will have survived in a usable state from that long ago. I reflect that apparently some bacteria have been revived from two hundred million year old salt deposits. (I think it's all right to say - I have no idea.)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,388
    Quote Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
    So, Neverfly's links probably say we could construct a reasonable fascimile of a dinosaur through genetic manipulation and that something that looks somewhat like a dinosaur, but isn't might evolve in the future.. The consesus view is that no DNA will have survived in a usable state from that long ago. I reflect that apparently some bacteria have been revived from two hundred million year old salt deposits. (I think it's all right to say - I have no idea.)
    Correct and correct, though the bacteria were for all intents and purposes pickled, and are much more robust then vertebrates.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Alunblackwell88 View Post
    Ok, I'm a bit of a novice in the biology area. To say I wasn't interested in school would be an understatement. I didn't, and still don't care about osmosis or aortas. But, what I am interested in is things that can be made in test tubes. Is it right that scientists could potentially take DNA from a fossil and recreate a dinosaur of some sorts? Also, with regards to natural evolution, could an animal evolve in to a dinosaur after a period of time?
    For the first part, no. The processes involved with the fossilization are to harsh for the delicate structures like DNA to survive more then a few thousand years in most cases.

    As for evolution, the best bet would involve something forcing adaptations in birds that bring out latent genetic information from the theropod ancestors. However the resulting species would still be classed as birds rather then placed into Dinosauria
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    19
    If they make one from a chicken,I hope they make it a dwarf we still have to share the planet.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Forum Freshman JasonGeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    10
    Maybe it's not a fossil but a piece of ice or amber. Because DNA would degenerate easily, if exposed under the normal environment for some time. It's not likely you could find DNAs in a fossil. And even you could find a full set of DNA of a dinosaurs, which animal should be chosen to give birth to dinosaur? Lizards or birds or something esle? It really hard.
    Hi, I am fond of doing researches on herbal extracts and related drugs. I also like computer and coding in Java and PHP. I am happy to discuss with you on these topics.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Theatre Whore babe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Resident of Big Island of Hawai'i since 2003, and Mainland relocated to the Bay Area.
    Posts
    13,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Alunblackwell88 View Post
    Ok, I'm a bit of a novice in the biology area. To say I wasn't interested in school would be an understatement. I didn't, and still don't care about osmosis or aortas. But, what I am interested in is things that can be made in test tubes. Is it right that scientists could potentially take DNA from a fossil and recreate a dinosaur of some sorts? Also, with regards to natural evolution, could an animal evolve in to a dinosaur after a period of time?
    Wouldn't it be too old?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Time Lord Paleoichneum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    5,388
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonGeller View Post
    Maybe it's not a fossil but a piece of ice or amber. Because DNA would degenerate easily, if exposed under the normal environment for some time. It's not likely you could find DNAs in a fossil. And even you could find a full set of DNA of a dinosaurs, which animal should be chosen to give birth to dinosaur? Lizards or birds or something esle? It really hard.
    Just a note, but both ice mummies and amber are fossils. The birthing wouldn't be so hard to decide on, it would depend on the species you have as to what the host would be.
    JasonGeller likes this.
    If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin Oakenshield

    The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Sophomore Nisslbody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleoichneum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonGeller View Post
    Maybe it's not a fossil but a piece of ice or amber. Because DNA would degenerate easily, if exposed under the normal environment for some time. It's not likely you could find DNAs in a fossil. And even you could find a full set of DNA of a dinosaurs, which animal should be chosen to give birth to dinosaur? Lizards or birds or something esle? It really hard.
    Just a note, but both ice mummies and amber are fossils. The birthing wouldn't be so hard to decide on, it would depend on the species you have as to what the host would be.
    Ice mummies are fossils?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    8,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisslbody View Post
    Ice mummies are fossils?
    Interesting. After checking they are, since they involve forms of preserved pre-historic life.

    --
    As for the DNA questions, it seems likely that most of the genes involved probably still exist in modern animals, we just have no way to figure out which and how they are put together without good DNA to go off of.
    babe likes this.
    Meteorologist/Naturalist & Retired Soldier
    “The Holy Land is everywhere” Black Elk
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Forum Sophomore Nisslbody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Fox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisslbody View Post
    Ice mummies are fossils?
    Interesting. After checking they are, since they involve forms of preserved pre-historic life.

    --
    As for the DNA questions, it seems likely that most of the genes involved probably still exist in modern animals, we just have no way to figure out which and how they are put together without good DNA to go off of.
    I didn't know that, I always thought they had to be impregnated with minerals or leave an imprint in minerals. Cool!

    But DNA should be recoverable from ice mummies.
    Neverfly likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    Same here. Learn something new every day...

    (I seem to be on a trend of posting inane one liner mediocre comments here... Let's spice things up with some hotness for your viewing pleasure.)
    Lynx_Fox likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Cloning Dinosaurs?
    By Sci-fi guy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: September 28th, 2014, 04:18 PM
  2. Sapient Dinosaurs
    By Paleomind in forum Pseudoscience
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: October 27th, 2012, 06:08 PM
  3. Death of the dinosaurs
    By snowy in forum Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 19th, 2011, 09:20 AM
  4. Dinosaurs
    By Beard Baron in forum Biology
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: July 8th, 2011, 09:01 PM
  5. How many dinosaurs ever existed?
    By x3nophon in forum Biology
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: April 12th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •