Notices
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By AHeinrich
  • 1 Post By Dywyddyr
  • 1 Post By sculptor
  • 1 Post By Strange

Thread: If You Could Communicate With Every Cell/DNA In Your Body, What Would You Say/Command/Do?

  1. #1 If You Could Communicate With Every Cell/DNA In Your Body, What Would You Say/Command/Do? 
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    33
    If somehow, you could communicate with every cell/DNA in your biological composition, what could you theoretically do (within the laws of physics of course) and command them to do (and they would follow instructions, provided it falls within the laws of physics etc)?

    For example, would it be theoretically possible to change your eye colour? Could you theoretically cure any cancer in your body in one sitting? Could you cause a mutation or something?

    Thoughts?


    Precious part II likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2.  
     

  3. #2  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    You could command the antibodies of your immune system to seek out all bad things within yourself and destroy them or heal them.


    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #3  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Apocalyptic Paradise
    Posts
    6,613
    This question is too vague. You ask about the ability to "Communicate" with the cells of you body in some way. The "how" that is done is important to what effect you would have.
    It seems likely that if you could communicate with cells, you could halt cancer.

    But if I could Fly in some way, I could feel wind in my hair whenever I wanted.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #4  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    You could command the antibodies of your immune system to seek out all bad things within yourself and destroy them or heal them.
    And would that "heal" cancer/AIDs/etc in your body?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #5  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope cosmictraveler's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Key West, Florida, Earth
    Posts
    4,788
    Quote Originally Posted by AHeinrich View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmictraveler View Post
    You could command the antibodies of your immune system to seek out all bad things within yourself and destroy them or heal them.
    And would that "heal" cancer/AIDs/etc in your body?
    I would think so if your immune system isn't having problems making antibodies to repel the diseases.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
    Jimi Hendrix
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #6  
    Moderator Moderator Cogito Ergo Sum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,519
    Honestly, I would not alter the processes in any of my cells. They are doing a good job in keeping me alive, healthy and happy.
    "The only safe rule is to dispute only with those of your acquaintance of whom you know that they possess sufficient intelligence and self-respect not to advance absurdities; to appeal to reason and not to authority, and to listen to reason and yield to it; and, finally, to be willing to accept reason even from an opponent, and to be just enough to bear being proved to be in the wrong."

    ~ Arthur Schopenhauer, The Art of Being Right: 38 Ways to Win an Argument (1831), Stratagem XXXVIII.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #7  
    Forum Masters Degree LuciDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    656
    This sounds like the sort of question my old hippie mates would start trotting out around 10pm ish.....a bit of Pink Floyd and they were off :-). This isn't really a scientific question its just what ifs..... what if I could turn different parts of my body into jelly and eat them.....would they reqrow?
    "And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh" Nietzsche.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #8  
    Genius Duck Moderator Dywyddyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Scunthorpe, UK
    Posts
    11,699
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciDreaming View Post
    what if I could turn different parts of my body into jelly and eat them.....would they reqrow?
    More importantly: what flavour jelly would you choose?
    LuciDreaming likes this.
    "[Dywyddyr] makes a grumpy bastard like me seem like a happy go lucky scamp" - PhDemon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #9  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciDreaming View Post
    This sounds like the sort of question my old hippie mates would start trotting out around 10pm ish.....a bit of Pink Floyd and they were off :-). This isn't really a scientific question its just what ifs..... what if I could turn different parts of my body into jelly and eat them.....would they reqrow?
    Not really, because in the case of the OP, it is theoretically possible for such to occur - whereas, you can't "turn different parts of your body into jelly", because that violates the laws of physics.

    Incidentally, with the OP in mind, is it theoretically possible to change eye colour?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  11. #10  
    Forum Masters Degree LuciDreaming's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cambridgeshire
    Posts
    656
    You think its theoretically possible to communicate with a hundred trillion cells? You need to define communication here then and how its theoretically possible.

    Consciously control your DNA/cells do you mean? If that's the case you would die because you wouldn't be able to sustain your bodily functions (hint-that's why its all done for you).
    "And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh" Nietzsche.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  12. #11  
    Forum Radioactive Isotope sculptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,211
    communicate?
    or command and control?

    look into psychosomatic
    and biofeedback

    Your body already has communications of which you are unaware.
    (just think how confusing it would be to try and command all of the cells in your body at the same time--------one general, no colonels, majors, captains, leutenants, sergeants-----just one general and a 10trillion privates and you want to have a one on one relationship with all of them?
    Precious part II likes this.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  13. #12  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    47
    unthinkable
    Reply With Quote  
     

  14. #13  
    Brassica oleracea Strange's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    喫茶店
    Posts
    16,825
    Quote Originally Posted by AHeinrich View Post
    whereas, you can't "turn different parts of your body into jelly", because that violates the laws of physics.
    Why do you say that? Jelly is an organic compound that is derived from animals.
    mikepotter84 likes this.
    ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat
    Reply With Quote  
     

  15. #14  
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    344
    It would be extremely difficult to control the many contrasting bodily processes on your own. How would you know how many immune cells to release at one time? How would you be able to, if you suffered an accident and were unconscious, manage to heal? You can't have total direct control over your entire body if you want to survive.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  16. #15  
    Forum Cosmic Wizard icewendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,150
    You are confusing people because you used the word "communicate", and cells cant understand language and are not sentient, they respond to their environment based on their properties.

    We do not possess the natural ability to communicate with a specific cell. And the responses you can initiate is rather limited. We can control breathing etc, and alter the environment to trigger responses that are automatic. (a bit like nudging a round rock off the top of a hill and conceptualizing this as 'telling' the rock to roll down)

    Eventually it may be possible to use computers and devices to alter DNA, directly, and/or introduce GM mutagenic virus and/or GM stem cells.Eventually, you could have cybernetic implants as interface,that you can control with your mind or vocally, with nanites in you blood stream that alter/generate triggers for cells and genetically modified cells that change when the nanites give signals.

    You could potentially have skin that changes color like squids, and control it with your mind, but its more likely that we develop cybernetic interfaces then pure biological ones.

    Eye color: Yes you could change your eye color, either because your eye color genes would allow various colors in the first place like squids(fast), or because nanites release a signal for GM cells, or encapsuladed virus/stem cell is released (gradual/slow?)

    By the time we can do any of that we should know more about curing cancer, and there might be interfaces enabling you to start a diagnosis and intervention, but this would most likely be controlled with cybernetics as interface (if not externally with a tablet)

    Predetermined mutations could be controlled/triggered, but developing such mutations would probably be done externally first in simulations.

    Part of all this will be hazardous initially and for some time, the same way picking a mushroom in the woods at random can be, since it may be difficult to detect and/or correct a problem, but initially its more likely that people with a genetic defect or condition that threatens their life with a 50% chance may take a chance with a treatment that cures the condition 90% of the time and has a 1% chance of killing you or being worse than the initial condition.
    Last edited by icewendigo; June 25th, 2013 at 09:50 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  17. #16  
    Forum Freshman
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    DeRidder, Louisiana
    Posts
    10
    To communicate with cells, we have to change their environment and see how they react. It would be an endless game of trial and error.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 31st, 2012, 03:45 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 2nd, 2010, 11:43 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: November 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM
  4. White blood cell uses DNA 'catapult' to fight infection
    By h2so4hurts in forum In the News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 13th, 2008, 12:02 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 11th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •